Notary Rotary
Two questions same borrowers
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Nancy4_FLA on 9/10/05 5:36pm
Msg #64589

I had a closing scheduled for yesterday evening but I ran late at another closing, docs were wrong and needed to be corrected and emailed over (luckily it was at the mortgage co's office.) I called to tell the next borrowers I was running late. The borrower gave me an hour window to get to his home because he had to go to work but also said he just got home from work. Well I missed his window and I called him and left a message saying I would do the signing at any time or place, I would even go to his work and to his home to get his wife to sign. When he called back he said he was at work and did not want to sign at all tonight but wanted to sign the next day. I couldn't reach anyone at the SS to see if we could sign the next day or not. I spoke with the borower this morning, he really wanted to sign the docs now. I told him I did not get the okay from the SS to sign the next day. I asked him if called me from work last night and he said yes. Well the phone number he called me from last night was his home number. It was the number I had been calling and the number he called me from everytime he called me. I even confirmed with him what his home number was. He then must have realized he called me from home last night and said no my wife was at work not me. I don't really know what was going on but he did not want to sign last night. When I refused to go to his home today he got really angry at me and said that I was supposed to be there at such and such time and it was my fault. I tried explaining that is an unfortuate circumstance of my business and I was sorry but that I was willing to complete the signing last night at his convenience. I did leave another message at the SS but I have a feeling this will become my fault, could I have done anything differently??

Also I found out that his wife does not speak or read english (he does) can I notarize docs for her when she can not read what she is signing or understand what I am saying? If her husband translates it to her would that be okay?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/10/05 6:30pm
Msg #64596

Nancy
Read the Governor's manual on notarizing for those who do not speak English. It explains how to go about it and what to add to your notary certificateSmiley

The Governor's manual is an excellent source for Florida related notarizations.

Reply by Nancy4_FLA on 9/10/05 6:34pm
Msg #64597

Thanks Sylvia for the info.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/11/05 12:00am
Msg #64632

I don't think you did anything wrong, it's not like we run late on purpose. Sometimes these things just happen and there's nothing we can do about it. Sounds like you did more than necessary to try to get the signing to happen, I sure wouldn't have offered to do a split signing to make up for it. And it's sure not your fault that the SS didn't get back to you in a timely manner to give you further instructions, if they had you probably could have done the signing the next morning when he wanted to.

I'd say you handled it like a pro.

As for the second question, that's the type of thing you should already know as a notary, or at the very least know where to find the answer without assistance. It's your responsiblity to know all the notary laws for your state, you definitely need to brush up on the manual.

Reply by Nancy4_FLA on 9/11/05 8:17am
Msg #64650

Your right Cali I do need to brush up on Florida Notary laws, I have been a Notary Public for a long time but in NY. I just became a Notary Public in Florida this year. I can't believe how different the laws are especially regarding married borrowers, totally different!! I thought I really studied and knew the laws pretty well but every once in a while I get something that I am not sure of the answer. Luckily I am a very experienced Closer/SA and I know enough not to just fake it and will find the information that I need to do the job correctly and professionally.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/11/05 9:09am
Msg #64652

Nancy
You can always click on my profile for my contact info and call me if I can help.

The Governor's manual is an excellent toolSmiley

Reply by Nancy4_FLA on 9/11/05 9:21pm
Msg #64702

Re: Thanks Sylvia, N/M

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.