Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Update on the hair on the back of my neck post.....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Nancy4_FLA on 9/12/05 9:54pm
Msg #64871

I posted the other day about a signing for a borrower (who happens to be an attorney) who did not have any form of ID. She had claimed to have had her DL taken away but had a new car in the drive way. She called and left me a message this evening. She stated that she had a copy of her DL and wanted to get the signing done tonight. How do you all of a sudden get a copy of your DL that was supposedly taken away? I did not call her back and I will contact the TC in the morning. I told her to contact her Lender or the TC when she got the proper ID but she called me instead. She must really think I am stupid because she thought I'd notary without any way of confirming her identity and now she has mysteriously found a copy of her DL? Nope, I might have been born at night but it wasn't last night....

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/12/05 10:24pm
Msg #64881

You cannot use a copy of her drivers license anyway. You have to use the original.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 9/13/05 10:23am
Msg #64932

This lady is an attorney like I am a millionaire. Some people are so full of it, it is almost a crying shame.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/12/05 10:38pm
Msg #64883

Good for you for sticking to your guns! Your borrower clearly seems to be using intimidation tactics to get away with something. I think you did the right thing. Don't let the title company intimidate you, either! You'd think an attorney would know better, but sounds like she has issues beyond getting some documents notarized!

I once had to turn down an attorney with no ID, too. She had left it in a pocket somewhere after going through security at the airport and couldn't find it. She was also a federal agent, but that ID didn't have all the required elements for CA. I showed her the CA Handbook with what was required and she agreed with me. (We rescheduled when she got her passport out of a safe deposit box.) Totally different reaction.

Reply by Nancy4_FLA on 9/12/05 11:01pm
Msg #64887

Thanks Sylvia, I know I can't use a photo copy that is why I didn't even bother to call her back and I will let the TC deal with her. I am not sure if you saw my original post about this woman but things just didn't add up with her and I have my concerns about this woman. She is an attorney who had her license taken away and stated she can not get a new license but would get a State issued ID. Yet she has a brand new mustang convertible in the driveway. She also wanted me to leave the documents with her so she could have one of the Notary Public's in her office notarize the docs. I told her she'd need to get approval from the TC or the Lender. There is a lot of fraud going on in my part of Florida due to the ever increasing property values and my gut told me this was just not adding up.

Reply by Becca_FL on 9/12/05 11:16pm
Msg #64890

I went back and read your original post and think you did the right thing.

BTW, a Notary in West Palm Beach (or was it Boca?) was busted for Notarizing bogus Deeds in conection with a land scam ring in Punta Gorda. We all need to be very dilligent in our duties. Scam artists come in all shapes and sizes. Some may even drive new Mustangs.

Reply by m_fl on 9/13/05 6:16am
Msg #64899

i wonder if she had a DUI ... not that it would matter ... but apparently according to a borrower i was going to do a loan for they give them a copy of their DL when they take away their Drivers Licence .. I never ended up doing that one because things did not add up .. he did not have an ID, he had a DUI, his green card expired, but he had a SAMS CARD ... lol ... the LO wanted me to use as an verifying ID. When i called back to see if he got up to the DMV to get his ID his wife cussed at me and told me that they found another notary to do it .... and she was no longer speaking to me. I wasted to much time on these ding dong ... augh ...

I almost wonder if your incident was some kind of real estate scam and they were trying to get you sucked into the middle of it .... Does not seem like it all adds up ...

Reply by Teasa Mahar on 9/13/05 1:18pm
Msg #64963

That's why we all need a good Bull S*** Radar System

Reply by LawrenceOK on 9/13/05 10:39am
Msg #64934

What kind of Federal Agent? What required elements for CA were omited on the Federal ID. This does not make since, as all of the Federal Id I have ever seen has all elements for identification. jc

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/14/05 3:19am
Msg #65063

It was a while ago, so I don't remember exactly, but I think it was either the signature or personal description. We both went over the list in the CA handbook and came to the same conclusion.

Reply by Art_MD on 9/13/05 7:03am
Msg #64901

Re: how to check on a lawyer..

If you are really curious about this "lawyer" check her out.

There is a national listing of all lawyers. Gives a background on eack - education, bar, company etc. Martindale and Hubble.

Martindale.com is the site.

Art

Reply by newlysmomva on 9/13/05 8:03am
Msg #64906

I tried to check on a couple of lawyers. It gave me all but one.....wonder why he isn't in there.

Reply by Art_MD on 9/13/05 8:13am
Msg #64907

Don't know.

Could be spelling, or maybe he isn't really a lawyer!!!!

Art

Reply by caroleMI on 9/13/05 8:17am
Msg #64909

Doesn't Martinfdale & Hubble charge? You can just go to the state's bar assn's web site to find out is she/he is indeed an attorney.

Reply by Art_MD on 9/13/05 8:25am
Msg #64914

you can enter a name and it will give you the firm, his undergrad school and his law degree school. It's free. More info would cost.

Art

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/13/05 8:26am
Msg #64915

hmmmm...I checked on a lawyer that wasn't listed. Wonder what that means

Reply by newlysmomva on 9/13/05 9:46am
Msg #64925

It is kinda hard to mispell this guy's name. Robert Turner.....pretty nonunusual.

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/13/05 11:39am
Msg #64947

Need request to be listed

It appears that Martindale's terms indicate that an attorney needs to request a listing on their website. Perhaps not all lawyers find it worth while or perhaps they don't know of the site.

Reply by Art_MD on 9/13/05 11:59am
Msg #64952

Re: Need request to be listed

ALL lawyers know about Martindale. Very strange not to want to be listed.
Its a rare lawyer who isn't listed. Lawyers use it when they need an out of area lawyer. One of the first things a lawyer does after he gets a job/passes the bar is make sure his/her listing is correct. Once listed, the listing is kept there forever in most cases. That is in case there was a case from years ago and they want to contact the original attorney.

My father in law (93 years old) hasn't practiced in 20 years, but still gets calls regarding cases from 25 years ago.

Art

Reply by newlysmomva on 9/13/05 12:07pm
Msg #64954

They are better off not knowing some lawyers...

Reply by DC_NV on 9/13/05 7:18pm
Msg #65020

I would not be closing that loan, sounds mighty fishy!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.