Notary Rotary
What do you think?
Notary Discussion History

What do you think?
Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Carol_SoCal on 9/28/05 2:56pm
Msg #67847

What do you think?

Home Seller needs a Grant Deed acknowledge. Question: Loan closes on 18 October.... could there be a problem for the Seller by signing Grant Deed before Buyer signs Deed of Trust? Agent is urging signature on GD so that "he can have the paperwork on hand". Suggested waiting until Buyer signed DOT docs and THEN signing GD.

Reply by B__CA on 9/28/05 3:07pm
Msg #67849

I could see signing and giving to the title company, but not a real estate agent.

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/28/05 3:49pm
Msg #67854

Who said anything about a real estate agent?????

Maybe you know some thing I didn't read. Besides a real estate agent has what is a called a fiduciary so there is some recourse. But suggesting what and how the buyer signs would appear to me to be the unlawful practice of law. Of course I'm just a real estate agent.

Reply by TCMN on 9/28/05 4:26pm
Msg #67864

I agree Charles, I'm

a real estate agent to and that was my first thought...."suggest" is not a word a notary uses unless it's in this statement " I would suggest you call your loan officer to ask that question."

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 9/28/05 4:33pm
Msg #67865

Carol- the seller can sign off on their documents anytime, usually as soon as escrow/title has the payoff figures. Title will just have their stuff ready to go, when it all closes on 10/18. It happens all the time. (I am also a RealtorŪ)

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/28/05 9:43pm
Msg #67890

I think it's no big deal. Agree with Sheila, and the others.

Reply by OnTheGoInFla on 9/28/05 10:41pm
Msg #67904

Legal advice???

Are you a lawyer, if not then you need to be careful about advising anyone about legal documents.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/28/05 10:50pm
Msg #67905

How is any one post here ...or the original question

construed as legal advice? What are you talking about?

Reply by Renee Kovacs on 9/29/05 3:35am
Msg #67910

Carol, the poster's are correct in noting that this is a common procedure and the Deed is held (generally by the title/settlement agent) until the transaction is consumated by the buyer.

I just want to add - the Deed could never be dated AFTER the mortgage docs, because the buyer would then be using property he does not OWN as security.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.