Notary Rotary
When I started signing up with SS, I gave out my SS#, since
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 9/21/05 9:57pm
Msg #66559

then I have been reading the boards, advising we dont give it out. I now have an EIN# but I guess there is nothing I can do now about the other companies I have my SS to. BUT, any suggestons or advice?

Reply by Desiree Roman Innovations, Inc. on 9/21/05 10:00pm
Msg #66561

At the start of the new year (Jan 2006) send out a notice to all the SS you work with and inform them you know have a new EIN number they should be using. Make sure you ask them to confirm receipt of it and that they've made the change in their system. To try to do it now will make filing your taxes really complicated. Other option is to talk with a CPA.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/21/05 10:53pm
Msg #66568

Re: When I started signing up with SS, I gave out my SS#, si

Don't wait until next year. Do it now. Send everyone a NEW W-9 with your EIN on it. On the cover page, nicely tell them to replace your information with the new number.

Reply by Anonymous on 9/21/05 11:22pm
Msg #66577

All 200+ companies? The concern I have is Identity theft.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/22/05 7:08am
Msg #66607

Re: All 200+ companies? The concern I have is Identity theft

Yes, all 200+ companies. If you're concerned about identity theft, you will want to have their records changed ASAP. If they report payments to you in your SSN at the year end, it will be on record. Change now before the year end reporting is done so your EIN will be used for 1099's and internal records. Protect your identity with the tools available to you.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/21/05 10:56pm
Msg #66571

Complicated???

>>> To try to do it now will make filing your taxes really complicated. <<<

How so? Having income reported against your EIN or SSN will amount to the same thing in 99.9% of the NSA cases, since most folks that have been using their SSN is a sole proprietor and using Sched C. There should be no problem switching to an EIN now, before the year end reporting by the agencies.

Reply by LilyMD on 9/22/05 6:56am
Msg #66601

Not Complicated.

Paw's right. I called the IRS and got my EIN in the middle of the year. No hassles, no big deal. The IRS agent I spoke with said that my SS# was linked to my EIN (for the IRS) so it wouldn't matter that some 1099s came with my ss# and some with my EIN.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.