Notary Rotary
Wildfires in my area
Notary Discussion History

Wildfires in my area
Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by TitleGalCA on 9/29/05 10:25pm
Msg #68069

Wildfires in my area

I know there's lots of opinions about building in areas known for fires...and the almost yearly fires in Malibu, land of the rich and famous.

Yet, it's really bad here. There's ashe all over my car and the smell is terrible - I'm about 30 miles away and it's stifling. Lots of people and their pets are in danger so with all the prayers and good will over hurricane victims (and I'm not comparing) take a moment to think about the folks here who are looking at losing their homes, and more important to those firefighters that put their lives on the line to fight them.

My son is well on his way to being full time firefighter, his passion. (and yes, I did catch him with matches when he was five - and that meeting with the principal when he was 9 about setting the trash can on fire in the boys bathroom was really embarrassing) but our firefighters are our heros! They are practically medical doctors now, with all the requirements, and the ongoing medical calls far outweigh the fire calls. The fire calls always, always put them in danger, to protect us, and our possessions.

Take a moment when you pass that fire truck in your community to wave, give a thumbs up. Have the kids wave at them - unroll the windows and say hello as you pass! They appreciate it as much as policemen who get a smile and a wave from a child. They deserve our gratitude and respect. Love your firefighters - they are there for you.

Reply by Carol_in_MI on 9/29/05 11:04pm
Msg #68072

TitleGal, thanks for a great post. I've been trying to find the location of these fires as my son recently moved to Pepperdine in Malibu. This Midwest guy is loving the California life.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/29/05 11:07pm
Msg #68073

He's close, Carole, for sure. Pepperdine almost always gets evacuated. It's just a situation here. With the good comes the bad, and you have to be aware of it. Beautiful yes, but with drawbacks. It's a decision.

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 9/29/05 11:53pm
Msg #68076

Best of luck TitleGal! I agree with giving firefighters a thumbs up. (My sister and her husband are firefighters here in town). Hoping the fire stays away from you!

Reply by NorCalDar on 9/29/05 11:57pm
Msg #68078

We up here in the north part of the state share your admiration of the firefighters. Our thoughts ad prayers are with your son and his fellow firefighters as well as you. Try not to breath too much of that junk air. I got a little too close to a fire in Folsom last year and ended up with serious asthsma issues.

Reply by ColleenCA on 9/30/05 8:16am
Msg #68104

Re: Wildfires in my area-I'm about 3 miles away

and the smoke and air quality are really bad. Our home is not threatened thank goodness. Our first home in the Santa Susanna Knolls is however. My brother and sister in law in Calabasas had to evacuate. We have been through that ourselves back in 1985 when we lived in the Manor Lake area of Chatsworth. It's very scary.

Reply by anonymous on 9/30/05 8:24am
Msg #68105

But you are in Ventura and not in Malibu? And the fires remain a great distance from you? The ash yes will indeed blow for many many miles, it will pass.... the ash on your car is little to the fear one will endure in the fear of losing everything. And yes the firefighters are indeed heros.

Reply by Merry_CA on 9/30/05 3:38pm
Msg #68191

YES!... TitleGal, our firefighters are indeed our heroes. They deserve our thanks and acknowledgement every chance we get.

I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley (so. ca) and every year when the heat got up in the hi 90's+ and the Santa Ana's started blowing, it was just a matter of time until the foothills began to catch fire. It was very scary. It's true that most Californians and probably folks throughout the rest of this great country live on land that is not really suited to human habitation. My heart goes out to everyone rich, poor and in-between that are victims of the wrath of Mother Nature.

Sitting here waiting for the next big fight between the North American and Pacific Plates!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.