Notary Rotary
"Newbies" who won't be for long...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by TitleGalCA on 9/5/05 8:52pm
Msg #63815

Theres been much frustration on this board about newbie posts, not just recently but pretty much historically. Some don't even have a clue about how to ask a question, much less to their own research before posting, and those posters receive some pretty truthful criticism for doing so - rightly.

Then there's those newbies who are really...working it. They've read the board, they ask questions offline, they take advantage of the resources available to them, they research being SELF EMPLOYED as well as being a NSA. It's those newbies that won't be newbies for long, and I have to tell you I'm pretty impressed.

Recently I've had lots of off board correspondence from the "newbies who won't be for long" and I hope these guys will be willing to help ME when they have 200 plus signings under their belt and I'm still at a title desk not wanting to give up that comfy paycheck. It's a good feeling to help somebody that helps themselves.

(Jenny/CA, you go girl)

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/5/05 9:49pm
Msg #63816

Sounds like a whole lot of menrtoring going on!

Kudos to you TitleGal, sounds like you are bringin up some powerful SA's who shoulde consider themselves extremely lucky to get that kind of information form someone as experienced as you who is the best position to know: a title officer.

Best regards,
Charles

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/5/05 11:26pm
Msg #63829

Re: Sounds like a whole lot of menrtoring going on!

Thanks Charles...

I may not immediately recognize a date "problem" on the note vs. the HUD (sorta figure it's the LO's issue) but I do a mean discertation on quitclaim deeds.

Reply by TCMN on 9/5/05 11:25pm
Msg #63828

Re: "Newbies" ...yeah, BUT (long response- sorry)

I am 100% with you TitleGal and I do help in any way I feel is in the best interest of the industry. (and do it even if I think it might not be BEST for me sicne I AM helping a future competitor...but I do it because I know I won't do this forever and want to give back ( and I have a great client base thatIve worked hard for and I'm secure in myself, my service, my professionalism and my ability to sucessfully market)

BUT I think that there are more of the "any Tom, Dick or Harriet's" out there these days trying to supplement their "real" job. (I only say "real" job because they think being a NSA isn't really a job but rather a quick buck here or there when they 1. didn't sell enough cars this month, 2. didn't make their bonus this month because telemarketing isn't all it's cracked up to be or 3. just at their job to get a paycheck and nothing more.)

I just had an email from an NSA (who will remain nameless) that emailed me with a blank email (except for their signature they put in their emails) that had an attachment...........................................................................................................yep I thought there would be more also. BUT I had to open the attachment to see WHY I got this email. Well, upon opening it I found this paragraph (names and # withheld)

Hello,
My name is "mickey mouse" and I am a Cerified Notary Signing Agent. I am available for signing assignments at anytime. I am a member of NNA(National Notary Association) and I am listed on their website. Please don't hesitate to call on me for all of your notary needs. I can be reached at 000-867-5309. Please email me any forms that I may have to fill out for your company. I am also available for any last minute signings or end of the month crunch time signings. You can also contact me by email

Respectfully,

"mickey mouse"

Well......I respond and say I don't service that area. I'm not a signing service. But I say I would like to give some advice in regard to marketing that way. I say I am NOT trying to be mean and I hope they can take this as contructive criticism and make a positive out of it. I thought that they could've said the same thing IN the email but I would not recommend sending an email like that to a bunch of email addresses (all showing who it's sent to) and instead they should've personalized it to each company and only if they had made contact with them and they knew you would be sending something. Otherwise I thought they should go to the company's website they are asking to work for and research IF they even service their area...because you take the risk of asking for work from someone who can't give it to you because they don't work where you are and that is a waste of time for everyone. AND I think someone will think you're lazy for NOT knowing something about the people you are asking to hire you.

I also said that their email was not very professional and that if they want to be taken as a professional they should've at least attached a resume not a word document that essentially said what a plain old email could say and first impressions are a BIG deal.

I tell you what...THIS is the email I got back...sit down because I almost fell over when I saw how ungrated someone could be.

First of all, thank you for replying. Second: You are being very mean and unprofessional in your email. I got your email address from your website. I can tell you that I am a very professional busness person but I have nothing to prove to you. People love to write, and write, and write because they think it makes them look better. Hmmm anyone you know? Look in the mirror. You could have saved yourself time and energy instead of trying to insult me; because guess what? It didn't work.

WOW, huh? Fortunately, that will NOT make me stop helping my industry grow and give back to it what I can because I've been blessed in what I've gotten out of it. I feel sorry for people like that and I know they're out there, I just have faith and hope in people that when a reaction like that happens I'm still shocked. I'm glad I'm mature enough to look at it so that I to can learn from the situation to better handle it or wear "kid-gloves" because not everyone doing this out there is truely an adult in all senses of the word. (and that is NOT meant to be a "dig" to that individual)

But I just HAD to tell this situation because as much as we really are trying to help TitleGal, there are some whose intentions are not good when they want something and that is too bad. We can feel good that we are giving even when someone else might be all about taking and never giving back.

jmo...thanks for letting me vent to.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/5/05 11:40pm
Msg #63831

Yep TCMN...that newbie would be in the category of what Brenda/Tx quotes as "casting pearls to swine". You tried, the swine wants to continue as "newbie"

Hm, maybe they went to notaryclasses....Nah....too coincidental.

Reply by TCMN on 9/5/05 11:58pm
Msg #63834

too funny TitleGal....I know, I tired n/m

Reply by thnotary_NY on 9/6/05 6:03am
Msg #63842

You, my friend are asking for trouble. I would never have opened that attachment in the first place.

Reply by Wendy Filice on 9/6/05 10:58am
Msg #63852

TitleGalCA
I am so pleased to see something positive about "newbies"--I appreciate it very much. I am a "newbie" & I check this site daily & read everything I can, especially postings by you very experienced notaries. The information has been invaluable to me--almost everytime I have a question, I have been able to find the info on this site. (I print off alot of the postings for later review.) I cringe sometimes when I read some of the questions posted, because it is obvious that the poster did not research here before posing a question. There have been some days where I have been really down because of the negative comments & silly arguments. I am working very hard to make this career successful for me (& my family--who are all 100% behind me). I hope that you will continue to contribute so that people like me can benefit. Smiley

Reply by StormIN on 9/6/05 11:10am
Msg #63856

Ditto what Wendy said. This site is so very informative and it's great to read the daily experiences of the more seasoned veterans.

Reply by mimurray on 9/6/05 7:55pm
Msg #63909

Re: "Newbies" who won't be for long...thanks to Sylvia

I am new to signing but have been in real estate for what seems like forever!!! So the transition in to this business probably wasn't as hard for me as it is for someone that has never even seen loan docs except for when they bought their home. As a newbie I have contacted Sylvia,Fl. a couple of times asking her what probably seemed like basic questions to her, but helped me a lot.

I want to tell this ENTIRE board that Sylvia could not have been any nicer and I REALLY appreciate the time she took to answer my e mail. I don't pretend to know it all and I never will. It is experienced people like Sylvia that will make me represent our business better!!!!!!

THANKS Sylvia!!!!!!

Mike

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.