Notary Rotary
?? for anyone
Notary Discussion History

?? for anyone
Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by NotaryinCA on 9/26/05 10:09pm
Msg #67484

?? for anyone

I have a question... I have a signing tomorrow... The name on the affidavit is Mr. John Doe... They say he MUST sign as MR. John Doe.. And I must notarize Mr John Doe.. I have never seen this before... I am assuming the name on his Driver license will say Just "John Doe" Not MR... Can I say Before me ____ Came MR. John Doe.. I am thinking it isnt that big of a deal.. but just seemed strange... TIA...

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/26/05 10:31pm
Msg #67490

If you can't ID the MR how can you sign him?

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/26/05 11:13pm
Msg #67495

I imagine there are several ways of looking at this, but my personal opinion (not legal advice) is that I wouldn't do it unless it was part of his name and on his ID, as Charles said. We don't notarize the person's title, description, capacity or any other characteristic they may have except for their proven name. For example, if I'm notarizing a doctor, I would not put MD on my notary certificate, even though I've been asked to.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 9/27/05 12:53am
Msg #67503

Attach a loose certificate....

Don't know why you couldn't use a loose certificate and notarize his name as John Doe (or whatever is on his ID). At the bottom of the loose certificate you can check capacity as Individual with (Mr.) next to it.

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/27/05 6:52am
Msg #67512

Re: Attach a loose certificate....

If it were me, I wouldn't go through the extra steps of attaching a loose certificate and then checking the capacity as Individial with (Mr.) beside it.

I'd simply state he was John Doe or John (middle initial) Doe and do nothing with *Mr.*

Reply by B__CA on 9/27/05 11:05am
Msg #67565

Re: Attach a loose certificate....

I certainly wouldn't either. Attaching a loose certificate just to add a Mr. or any other type of capacity is not necessary. California does not recognize capacity end of story.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.