Notary Rotary
Mac Based Business
Notary Discussion History

Mac Based Business
Go Back to April, 2007 Index

Posted by VBNotaryVA on 4/27/07 8:23am
Msg #187308

Mac Based Business

I have been an Apple Mac based business for about 4 years now. In almost 2 years I have only had to refuse 1 closing due to my system's inablilty to open closing package. I know Swiftview does not support Mac along with other document readers. I have been able to get companies to download packages that are sent via Swiftview and convert them to pdf's for me. Is anyone else conducting their business this way, or any other comments around this process?
Thanks for your comments.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/27/07 10:06am
Msg #187327

Re: Mac Based Business ~ I couldn't use Macs

I seriously considered rd disk was it after the last Windows fiasco. My computer crashed and had a board related problem. I had it repaired (my hard disk was fine except for some boot sector files) and started reloading files: MS Office, MS Outlook, Business Contact Manager etc. Microsoft now to get updates requires authentication so I figured it was no big deal, I bought the software and from reputable dealers. I couldn't get it authenticated and they wanted $150 to bring it into compliance. Now I know that piracy is a problem but I don't do that. So after some serious complaining that I've supported Microsoft since DOS they had support check my certificates and voila, everything is fine now except for the bitter taste of the experience and that I was hung up for several days.

I've investigated running my business with a Mac and found out I couldn't do it. I don't know what your business consists of as a whole but besides the notary part I am also a mortgage broker and a commercial real estate broker which are actually the primary business; being a notary is only a very minor part of my business. Now I know that a lot of the major databases I deal with will only support Windows and XP at that not Vista. I would not be able to access title information, credit reports, several commercial listing databases I belong to, and a whole bunch of others. I couldn't run my business with a Mac.

Reply by Patrick Anthony on 4/27/07 10:53am
Msg #187341

LOVE MAC!

I've been running on a MAC for about two months now. I also run Windows Parralles on the MAC so I can still use all my old software that I had grown attached to. To date, I have not had one package that I couldn't print either on the MAC, or in Windows Parrall running on the MAC. I still keep my old crappy PC ready to go just incase.

I haven't turned on the PC since I transferred all my data to the MAC.

I absolutely love it. In my opinion, it was worth every penny I spent.

Reply by Treasure Valley Notary - Tina on 4/27/07 11:13am
Msg #187351

Re: LOVE MAC!

I too have the same systems and love it. Been using Mac's to run our businesses for over 20 years now. We also have a few PC's, but if I had my way they would be gone. I don't even go near them. And I hate to hear the grumbling that comes with using them. The new Mac's that run both systems has been great!!! Solves the printing problems (like Swiftview).

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/27/07 2:00pm
Msg #187420

I really don't want to start a flame war but...

In all honesty it seems to me that whenever the topic of Mac v PC comes up all the Mac users say is how they love their Macs but they never really give any substance. Now I admit that I have been a PC user for a long time, but I am seriously looking at converting to MAC. I don't know what either of your businesses consist of but I would like some meat and potatoes not just platitudes. I'd really like to know, compared to the things that I need to do if a Mac would really work. I know that Mac has systems in place to run parallel with Window and now Macs are using Intel chipsets, but is it the same as Windows. Will I be able to use it to log onto Chicago Title's premium services. Will I be able to use it to log onto First American's CREDCO. I really don't love my PC and I probably wouldn't love a Mac (I reserve that for people) but I am looking for the most efficient way to work and PC's are starting to be annoying and disruptive. If Macs would do the job, I'd switch in a heartbeat but as of yet I have no definitive comparisons. I really would like to know. Unfortunately I haven't been able to convince my local friendly Mac salesman to let me try one for a week.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.