Notary Rotary
Okay....ready for this one....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2007 Index

Posted by Loretta Reed on 4/4/07 4:25pm
Msg #183706

I try to be quite savy when it comes to my credit. I get an email every time my credit report changes (lender checks my credit, credit card companies checks my credit) It even alerts me when my score changes.

Got an email today. "Changes made to your credit report". Logged on and found out that 2 title companies have checked my credit. If they have ever asked to do such a thing, I would decline any work from them.

What do you all think? Am I going to over react by contacting them and freaking out or should I let it go?

Reply by FWP/WA on 4/4/07 4:33pm
Msg #183708

I'm no attorney, but I was under the impression that a company could not check your credit without your consent/notifying you.

Reply by Lee/AR on 4/4/07 4:39pm
Msg #183709

What you do is obviously your decision. But, there are 'soft' & 'hard' hits. The soft ones don't ding you as far as credit score. You might want to check that out before you go ballistic.

Reply by jojo_MN on 4/4/07 4:41pm
Msg #183711

I'm not a 100% positive, but I believe you can ask the credit bureaus to deny access to your credit unless you personally give permission for it to be pulled.

Reply by James H. Lissemore on 4/4/07 4:44pm
Msg #183712

Who has access to my report?

Anyone with a "legitimate business need" can gain access to your credit history, including:

Those considering granting you credit.
Landlords.
Insurance companies.
Employers and potential employers (but only with your consent).
Companies with which you have a credit account for account monitoring purposes.
Those considering your application for a government license or benefit if the agency is required to consider your financial status.
A state or local child support enforcement agency.
Any government agency (limited usually to your name, address, former addresses, current and former employers).

Generally, only an employer or prospective employer needs your written consent to obtain a report. An exception is Vermont where any user needs your oral or written consent. In practice, most potential creditors ask for your permission to review your report. Your permission is not required when inquiries are made in connection with a pre-approved credit offer.

Reply by ML/PA on 4/4/07 5:26pm
Msg #183716

You must have given them your social security number at some point because it can't be pulled without it as far as I know. That is why I use a EIN.

Reply by Joan_OH on 4/4/07 5:26pm
Msg #183717

It could be that title companies regularely do mini-background checks which include a "soft hit" on your report.

I would think if they are checking you out they are preparing to offer you work. Last time I checked my credit report I was shocked at the number of soft hits (capital one, citibank, chase, etc hitting me 2-3 times a month for years)

Joan-OH

Reply by rengel/CA on 4/4/07 5:54pm
Msg #183719

It is also possible that your mortgage co is shopping your mortgage around, they sell them all the time.

Reply by Simple Solutions Notary Service - JoAnn Baracosa on 4/4/07 9:36pm
Msg #183770

Re: Another reason to have and ETS number

ETS= Employer Tax SSNumber or businesss tax id number, and do not use your personal ssnumber. I am as shocked as all of us but it is a great reason to have one.

Reply by Simple Solutions Notary Service - JoAnn Baracosa on 4/4/07 9:40pm
Msg #183772

Re: Another name is EIN Number n/m

Reply by BetsyMI on 4/5/07 11:16am
Msg #183791

Re: SS number

I applied with a TC the other day and there was a line to put my SS number on the application. I put on that line "see tax ID number". On the next line I put my tax ID number.

Well they called me right away and said my SS number was required for their background check. I was astounded.

It's a good company according to posts here, so I told the woman that if she could assure me that the number is secure and not sitting around in a file, I would give it to her, and I did. This is one of the reasons I got a Tax ID number, but in this case it could have prevented me from getting some assignments. I still don't like it, but I didn't see any other choice, and I don't give it out as a habit.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.