California fees in range?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2007 Index

Posted by Carmen/CA on 1/12/07 9:26am
Msg #170500

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the reasonable amount to charge for notary services are. What is the range some may charge to do a signing at a escrow office? I am trying not to over price myself. Smile

Reply by PL on 1/12/07 9:44am
Msg #170510

Adam Smith would say whatever the market will bear. You need to perhaps look on the find a notary page and pull your zip code and see what your competition is pricing and then either run with them or be aggressive and undercut them to build market share. I don't believe you'll find anyone on this board who will say $150 is the minimum, well maybe your competition, but their not looking out for your best interests. Good luck.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 1/12/07 10:58am
Msg #170527

BAD ADVICE alert!

No, no, NO! Don't undercut your competition just "to build market share"! It will start a price war that will leave nobody standing. Price FAIRLY for yourself. If you begin by undercutting "competition" you'll regret it and go broke sooner or later.

Reply by PL on 1/12/07 11:16am
Msg #170534

Re: BAD ADVICE alert!

Brand new closer demanding the same fees as a more experienced closer and you want him/her to hold the line, for the good of the profession. How does one get started in the business if they don't offer an edge? So I assume Ernest when you set out your shingle you asked for top fees? I don't think so and I really don't think that there will be a mass dropping of fees for services renedered if he/she prices his/her services at a fair price to him/her.

This is exactly what I was speaking about Carmen. You will need to find your way and if it means you have to get in there and fight with any means necessary, then by all means full steam ahead. Good luck.

Reply by MelissaCT on 1/12/07 11:24am
Msg #170541

Sure, do volume at a loss

see how far you get.

Reply by Gary_CA on 1/12/07 11:28am
Msg #170544

What happens if you charge double & lose half your clients??

More days off... that's what.

This is a fine line... and I tend to price towards cheap... but not too cheap. It's all a balance, and yep the noob is gonna charge a little less... but Earnest is right on too...

When you're self employed and tempted to underprice you gotta ask yourself, "Do I want to work my a$$ off and be poor, or just watch TV and be poor?"

Everyone (at least everyone who survives) finds a balance, but you can't lose a little on every job and make it up in volume.

Reply by MelissaCT on 1/12/07 2:52pm
Msg #170581

That was my point. You can't lose on every job & still make

a profit. Just doesn't add up.

As for working & being poor vs watching tv & being poor -- watching tv probably costs less than working. If you're working, but taking a loss each time, that can really add up. Staying home & watching TV or doing chores is less costly.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.