Notary Quiz Questions
Notary Discussion History

Notary Quiz Questions
Go Back to March, 2007 Index

Posted by Becky Cheney on 3/16/07 7:29pm
Msg #180296

Notary Quiz Questions

Hi All,
Below is a list of questions I received from one of the companies I work for. I want to throw these questions out to experienced notaries and compare my answers. Please explain or justify your answers if you wish. Thanks!
1. IN WHCIH OF THE FOLLOWING CASES MAY PERSONAL APPEARANCE BY THE SIGNER BE WAIVED?
a-an individual personally known to the notary
b-a person signing in an individual capacity
c-a person signing as attorney in fact for a principal signer
d-both A and C
2. When a document requiring a notarial acknowledgement is signed prior to being presented to the notary public...
a-it must be signed again in the notary public's presence
b-the signature must be notarized
c-a new document must be signed in front of the notary public
d-none of the above
3. When the names of a husband and wife have already typed on a certificate, but only the husband appears before the notary public to have his signature notarized then:
a-the notary public must cross out the wife's name
b-the certificate may be used as is if the wife will appear before the same notary public the following day
c-the certificate may be used as is if the wife plans to appear before a different notary public
d-the husband's signature may not be notarized unless the wife also appears before the notary public at the same time
4. If documents were signed on Friday, May 19th at 7pm, when would the three-day rescission period end?
a-sun may 21 at midnight
b-mon may 22 at midnight
c-tue may 23 at midnight
d-wed may 24 at midnight
5. Which of the following documents provides the interest rate that is being charged on a loan?
a-Note
b-Deed of Trust
c-Signature Affidavit
d-Right to Cancel
6. Which of the following questions may a notary signing agent answer without providing unauthorized assistance?
a-when will my loan close
b-why does my loan contain an assumption opinion
c-where can i find the payment schedule for my loan
d-am i getting a good interest rate
7. Can a notary public notarize a sworn statement if the person refuses to take the oath "swear to God" because of religious reasons?
a-no, not under any circumstances
b-yes, it can still be notarized without the sworn statement
c-no, unless the person provides a statement explaining why their religion prevents them from making the oath
d-yes, as long as the person "affirms" that the facts stated are true to the best of his/her knowledge
8. If there is no room on a document for a notary seal:
a-the seal may be affixed to a certificate attached to the document
b-the seal may be affixed over the notary's signature
c-the seal may be affixed on the back of the document
d-the seal may be omitted
9.While the borrower is reviewing the "HUD" statement and discovers the amount for the loan origination fee, and is in question as to why it was imposed, the notary can only:
a-try and comfort the borrower by informing them that they have seen higher fees in other loans
b-let the borrower know what percentage the origination fee is to the borrowers loan amount
c-refer the borrower to their loan officer or escrow company
d-explain to the borrower why they think the origination fee was imposed, by using their past experience
10. Satisfactory efidence of identity means reliance on:
a-ID cards or a credible identifying witness
b-ID cards or personal knowledge of identity
c-a credible identifying witness or personal knowledge
d-all of the above

Reply by Charles_Ca on 3/16/07 7:38pm
Msg #180300

Re: Notary Quiz Questions ~Where's my Flack Jacket?? n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/16/07 7:39pm
Msg #180301

Becky
Don't expect anyone to give the answers to the questions.

I learned my lesson the hard way on this 7 years ago. A notary friend came over to visit and brought the questions to a test we had both taken. I was led to believe she had already taken the test and just wanted my input. I told her where she was wrong and why.
Turns out she hadn't actually sent the test in and just needed the answers so she could pass it.

You just have to answer the questions as you think best and see how you do.

Reply by Genkichan on 3/16/07 7:57pm
Msg #180304

Don't you just love these all-purpose questions? Several of them aren't even phrased properly, and the answers may vary depending on the state in which the signing takes place. If the company that gave this to you is outside of TX, I wonder how they would grade your answers according to their world, which might differ from TX requirements.
Ex --
Question 1: technically, if I read the question correctly, none of the answers really apply. after all, the person signing would be "the person signing as attorney in fact" and that person would actually have to be present.
Question 2: depends on what is allowed by the state. In some cases, credible witnesses for signatures already on docs will work just fine.
Questions 7 & 10: Depends on your state notary handbook says...

These quizes from signing companies are pretty rediculous. I wouldn't even bother dealing with those that require stuff like this, and can't even think up properly worded questions that would apply across the board to all loans.

Reply by Becky Cheney on 3/16/07 8:14pm
Msg #180305

I agree that the questions can be interpreted differently. Also, there were MANY more typos and incorrect language than you read. I fixed some of the grammar before sending it. In my State, there is no training required to become a Notary. Is this typical?

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/16/07 8:32pm
Msg #180306

It's typical for most states not to get formal training.

For notary questions on the tests you see when you sign up with a signing company read your Texas educational materials.

If you don't have your hard copy, they are here:
http://www.sos.state.tx.us/statdoc/edinfo.shtml

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 3/16/07 9:02pm
Msg #180308

These tests are often inaccurate w/unacceptable choices

Once in a great while a signing company that hasn't used me before will send a "test". Usually there is at least one question on the "test" which has no acceptable choice for an answer or in which the answer would depend heavily on circumstances. I send such tests back with copious notations and corrective commentary regarding the questions and answer choices along with marking up their spelling, punctuation and grammar errors. LOL

Reply by TitleGalCA on 3/16/07 9:22pm
Msg #180310

***I want to throw these questions out to experienced notaries and compare my answers***

I am quite impressed by your attempt to get others to do your own work. It was worded quite well - a plaintive plea for help. But the message is still the same - "fix it for me".

Nice try Becky. Better than most! Gotta give you an "A" for effort. You might just do fine in this business.

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/16/07 10:56pm
Msg #180317

Let's be nice to Becky. These are the sample test questions

that are in the NNA certification course. She already has the answers. She's (I'm assuming anyway) trying to get your take on some of the answers. I couldn't believe some of the answers that appear in the example. It's amazing anyone passes the test if they're retaking it after being in the business.

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/16/07 11:02pm
Msg #180319

....Or maybe the SS is using the practice test n/m

Reply by MichiganAl on 3/16/07 11:35pm
Msg #180322

My question to you would be this...

If you want our answers to compare to yours, why haven't you posted YOUR answers? Sorry, looks like another fishing expedition to me.

Reply by DebbieT on 3/16/07 11:53pm
Msg #180325

We should test them

When should we be paid when your contract says we will be paid within 30 days?
What date should we put in the acknowledgment when we notarize a document?
Can we make an 8:00pm appointment when you call to schedule it at 7:30pm?
Last but definately not least - If the loan does not fund is it OK to only pay us half even if we did the job as requested?
Bull S#$&!!! Just my opinion!

Reply by JanetLA on 3/17/07 7:47am
Msg #180335

TOO FUNNY: We should test them

I can think of many other test questions:
If we want to schedule an appointment with you and never bother to call to cancel should you ignore it?
If we don't pay you and ignore the requests for payment, will you do another signing for us?
If we are late sending the docs to you who is to blame?
If the borrowers are not told to make copies of IDs, provide witnesses, etc whose going to be responsible?
That test for them would be the best for the companies that are difficult...

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/17/07 8:13am
Msg #180337

This would be my signing company test.

Can you spell three syllable words like "notary?"

Please strike out the incorrectly spelled words:
Notory
Notarys
Notars
Notary Pubic
Notory Republic

Do your schedulers use grammar properly? Is "ain't," "Hon," or "Sweetie" part of their vocabulary?

How is your commission structure built?
--What is the cut for a scheduler who can get ten deals scheduled for under $75?
--How about ten under $100?
--And, now: deals at $50 or under?

Do you pay extra to your people if they can get the notary to fax back the lender docs?

Do you allow your staff to mock notaries by calling them "Notary 'Ho's" If so, do you have a standard "Pimp" cut?

How many of your staff have signed at least 100 deals?

How many of your staff actually can read and interpret notary law.

How is your personal integrity?

In Texas, will you back stab your notaries by using their title company or lawyer heloc connection? Especially in Lake Jackson, Texas?

Again, in Texas...do you tell notaries it is okay to sign helocs/cash outs in PARKING LOTS?

How much do you get to keep when you only pay half or zero for no signs when it is no fault of the notary?

Once you answer these, then we'll discuss how you might be siphoning off title company clients' own lender clients and funnel them to your own affiliated title company by using an alias.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/17/07 8:18am
Msg #180338

Re: This would be my signing company test.

I can absolutely relate to your test questions, Brenda.
Those are the questions experienced NSA's should ask.

Reply by Joe Ewing on 3/17/07 9:45am
Msg #180340

1. IN WHCIH OF THE FOLLOWING CASES MAY PERSONAL APPEARANCE BY THE SIGNER BE WAIVED?
d-both A and C

C

2. When a document requiring a notarial acknowledgement is signed prior to being presented to the notary public...
d-none of the above

D

3. When the names of a husband and wife have already typed on a certificate, but only the husband appears before the notary public to have his signature notarized then:
a-the notary public must cross out the wife's name
b-the certificate may be used as is if the wife will appear before the same notary public the following day
c-the certificate may be used as is if the wife plans to appear before a different notary public
d-the husband's signature may not be notarized unless the wife also appears before the notary public at the same time

A

4. If documents were signed on Friday, May 19th at 7pm, when would the three-day rescission period end?
a-sun may 21 at midnight
b-mon may 22 at midnight
c-tue may 23 at midnight
d-wed may 24 at midnight

C

5. Which of the following documents provides the interest rate that is being charged on a loan?
a-Note
b-Deed of Trust
c-Signature Affidavit
d-Right to Cancel

A

6. Which of the following questions may a notary signing agent answer without providing unauthorized assistance?
a-when will my loan close
b-why does my loan contain an assumption opinion
c-where can i find the payment schedule for my loan
d-am i getting a good interest rate

C

7. Can a notary public notarize a sworn statement if the person refuses to take the oath "swear to God" because of religious reasons?
a-no, not under any circumstances
b-yes, it can still be notarized without the sworn statement
c-no, unless the person provides a statement explaining why their religion prevents them from making the oath
d-yes, as long as the person "affirms" that the facts stated are true to the best of his/her knowledge

D

8. If there is no room on a document for a notary seal:
a-the seal may be affixed to a certificate attached to the document
b-the seal may be affixed over the notary's signature
c-the seal may be affixed on the back of the document
d-the seal may be omitted

A

9.While the borrower is reviewing the "HUD" statement and discovers the amount for the loan origination fee, and is in question as to why it was imposed, the notary can only:
a-try and comfort the borrower by informing them that they have seen higher fees in other loans
b-let the borrower know what percentage the origination fee is to the borrowers loan amount
c-refer the borrower to their loan officer or escrow company
d-explain to the borrower why they think the origination fee was imposed, by using their past experience

C

d-all of the above

D

Reply by PAW on 3/17/07 10:32am
Msg #180344

Joe responded:
----- ----- -----
d-both A and C

C
----- ----- -----

I submit (and agree with others) that this is an incorrect answer. Actually, all the answers are incorrect as the question and answers are written. The "SIGNER", in the case of answer "C", would be the Attorney-in-Fact. And the AIF must appear before the notary. There is no exception (in most states) for the "presence" requirement of the signer.

However, if one must choose the "best answer", then I agree that "C" would be the best of the four, but certainly not correct.

Reply by ewing2surf on 3/17/07 10:58am
Msg #180346

That's funny PAW cause I read it the same way. It's how you define SIGNER. The AIF could be anybody BUT the SIGNER, therefore personal appearence could be waived. However we know that in CA we need that thumbprint so the AIF better be named on the mortgage or we adjourn the signing. But I really thought I could get some discussion on #2... the "best answer" for 2. is B not D.

d-none of the above

D

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/17/07 11:02am
Msg #180347

I disagree. It must be signed again in the notary's presence. A.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 3/17/07 11:35am
Msg #180351

Unless Oregon's Notary Statutes...

...are completely contrary to Missouri's in this one specific area; if this is an acknowledgement situation (as opposed to a jurat/oath) the signature on the document could have been placed there 10 years ago. All that's necessary is for the signer of the document to appear before the Notary & "acknowledge" this is their signature. They do NOT have to re-sign in front of the Notary a second time.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 3/17/07 3:38pm
Msg #180362

Maybe OR is different, but here in NY an acknowledgment doesn't have to be signed in front of the notary. And a notary here cannot, by law, refuse a reasonable request to notarize (assuming signer is present and identified) - so the correct answer for NY would be B.

I think these stupid tests should be short answer rather than multiple choice - sometimes there's no "correct" choice, but a close enough choice that should be qualified.

Reply by ewing2surf on 3/17/07 11:07am
Msg #180348

It's not A. That document could have been signed just after the end of World War I and if that senior citizen could show me proper ID, Acknowledge their signature and sign my book then I will notarize it.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/17/07 12:25pm
Msg #180355

Should have had a caveat - if the certificate states "Signed/subscribed before me," as many do, signer must re-sign. However, you're correct if cert says "Acknowledged before me." It's a poorly worded question as the answer is dependent upon the language of the certificate.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/18/07 1:02am
Msg #180431

The correct answer is also dependent, apparently, on what different state laws say. Just goes to show how meaningless some of these tests can be...

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/18/07 10:09am
Msg #180449

Amen to that, Janet. And to Ever's good point as well. n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/18/07 11:41am
Msg #180461

Meaningless...that's a description I can certainly agree with.

In Texas, an ack has "acknowledged" before me. Signer can sign previous to being before the notary.

The signed/subscribed before me is not in an acknowledgment and, at that point when it is no longer an acknowledgment, becomes a "verification" which is neither jurat or acknowledgment.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/18/07 7:03pm
Msg #180516

I stand corrected. Thanks, Brenda. In the MoJo,

there's no place to mark a Verification, and I'm not going to Notary Heaven.

No cheers for me,
Susie

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/18/07 8:10pm
Msg #180518

Re: I stand corrected. Thanks, Brenda. In the MoJo,

I don't know if verifications exist in other states of not. I speak only as to Texas.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/18/07 9:43pm
Msg #180523

Re: I stand corrected. They do in OR as well. Also a

Verification Upon Oath or Affirmation, its name for Jurat. I screwed up.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/17/07 12:46pm
Msg #180359

Boy Joe, you must be a GREAT teacher

If all my teachers were like you in high school, I could have been valedictorian! Sure, I wouldn't have learned jack shit, but that's a minor quibble.

No wonder we get so many idiotic questions from certified newbies on this board.

Reply by ewing2surf on 3/17/07 5:32pm
Msg #180366

Re: Boy Joe, you must be a GREAT teacher

I'm still waiting for those picture sweetee.

Reply by Ever/CA on 3/17/07 11:20pm
Msg #180421

I think I would have answered A in item #10:

d-all of the above

just because I believe that the "on the basis of satisfactory evidence" in the ACK wording is a qualifier only for the "proved to me", not the "personally known to me". "personally known to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence" doesn't seem to make sense, at least to me.

Just my humble opinion. I'd love to be corrected.
Ever

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/18/07 1:09am
Msg #180432

Good point!

In CA, it's either satisfactory evidence OR personal knowledge - mutually exclusive. I'd have to agree with you, although it comes down to semantics. You never know what the writer of these dumb tests is thinking. I haven't done any of these in a long time, but I really like the idea of taking a red pen and making some corrections to spelling & grammar errors! [Thanks to whoever mentioned that one! ;>Wink]

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.