Notary Rotary
Esquire Deposition Services\Houston, TX
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by ssqu/ky on 5/16/07 7:36am
Msg #190298

Good morning all! Has anyone heard of them? G\B\U. I searched and no info. Thanks for your help.

Stephanie

Reply by MistarellaFL on 5/16/07 8:35am
Msg #190299

No, but would be interested in hearing what type of notarial work they hire for nationwide.

Reply by Kevin/Ct on 5/16/07 8:47am
Msg #190301

If it is for depositions...it is most unusual to hire a notary who is not also a court reporter. In Connecticut Court reporters are also notaries because they have to administer an oath to the deponent. They also certify that the transcript of the deposition is accurate.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 5/16/07 8:59am
Msg #190303

Kevin/CT answered before I did.

Not trying to insult anybody here! If you already know what a deposition is and how important they are, stop reading now.

Depositions should not be done by anyone other than someone who has the training and equipment of a court reporter. Depositions involve taking down (usually via a stenotype machine hooked to a computer) exactly what is said by all parties. The machine - computer link takes the keyed input and translates it into words which are stored on the computer. In the old days, the court reporter would use the stenotype machine to type symbols onto a paper tape, then (later) transcribe that tape via typewriter. 100% accuracy is demanded.

Being a notary who types quickly is not good enough! You would not be able to keep up with the rapid-fire speech.

Google "court reporter" as well as "deposition".

Reply by Becca_FL on 5/16/07 9:18am
Msg #190307

I've done work for them and received payment in a few days. You are not "taking" depositions; you will be collecting written depositions, medical records and medical records affidavits. You just administer an oath and notarize the signature of the document custodian. Sometimes you return the docs and sometimes the custodian will. Easy cheesy.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/16/07 9:22am
Msg #190310

Oh yeah, and Becs is right...sometimes you just go Deposition by Written Questions, do your oath, collect you money.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/16/07 9:21am
Msg #190308

Hi Kevin, Some of the "sweetest" work I have done is working for deposition companies. (Not necessarily this one, but others.) They need notaries to go ID person at their home, dial into a teleconference hearing, swear the witness in before the hearing and then the notary can leave. It takes maybe fifteen minutes. Then you go back to your office and fax/email an oath of your own.

Reply by Kevin/Ct on 5/16/07 10:10am
Msg #190324

Thanks, Brenda. Never ran into that yet, but I am sure that is done by some. I have done dozens of depositions over the years. Some went smooth, others resulted in a lot of fist pounding on the conference table and heated arguments between the attorneys. Usually a lot of fun.

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/16/07 10:21am
Msg #190325

LOL... I did a 'phone deposition' for a divorce. Lady seemed quite disappointed that I would not have to stay & hear what a nasty guy her soon-to-be ex was.

Reply by Kevin/Ct on 5/16/07 10:34am
Msg #190332

yYah...divorces are a real emotional roller coaster. You never know what dirt is going to surface. In New York before the advent of no fault divorces it was necssary for there to be cause. Usually the husband would hire a professional co-respondent. They would go to a hotel room. He would remove some superfluous garment like his jacket, and they would wait for the wife's photographer to throw open the door to snap the so called "incriminating" pictures so that the divorce would move forward.

I had an uncle who lived in New York during the thirties. He had a girl friend who he wanted to marry, but his wife would not give him a divorce no matter what he did to establish cause. He wound up never getting the divorce...moved in with his girl friend for the rest of his life. It was considered very avant guarde for the time...living in sin.

Reply by sue_pa on 5/16/07 1:39pm
Msg #190360

...In New York before the advent of no fault divorces it was necssary for there to be cause...

Same in PA until the mid 1970s. I can still recite a fault divorce complaint ... the defendant caused such indignities upon the plaintiff as to render her life unbearable and her life untolerable. .. Actually it's quite pitiful that I can drag that stuff from my memories but I don't know the names of the borrowers I saw yesterday.

Reply by Ndwa on 5/16/07 1:23pm
Msg #190356

Done a few med rec'd release for them. I think the check goes out as soon as the appointment has been completed.

Reply by bfd110_IN on 5/16/07 9:11am
Msg #190305

You not always taking depositions.

You might have been hired to provide an oath and to verify the person. Sometimes these depositions are done over the phone with another party in another state. You are strictly there to verify the person. I am lucky and average 1 every other month. Quick and easy and pay is usually decent for 5 minutes of work.

Reply by DebbieT on 5/16/07 10:22am
Msg #190327

Re: You not always taking depositions.

Just go there and wait for the phone call. Then swear them in and your done.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.