Notary Rotary
For those owed by United Notaries
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by Stamper_WI on 5/22/07 6:35pm
Msg #191410

They are listed here under Dean Notaries You can find his contacts there. I have filed a complaint with his SOS

Reply by Stamper_WI on 5/22/07 6:35pm
Msg #191411

Area code 80112

Reply by LarryTN on 5/22/07 6:48pm
Msg #191415

Thanks...they owe me too!

Reply by Michael Martin on 5/22/07 7:29pm
Msg #191430

I just talked to Keith L Dean. He says he is "immune" to paying anybody anything because he filed bankrupcy. I do not agree and I intend to ask for my payment several times a day. For thoes of you who need to contact him about your payment his phone number is 303-261-1993--answers as "Dean Notary" (his new business). His email address is [e-mail address] or [e-mail address].

Reply by Stamper_WI on 5/22/07 7:42pm
Msg #191435

Yes I have been going back and forth with him Via email. all evening. He told me they are going to file for bankruptcy. Making it sound like it hasn't happened yet. I urged him to come clean with those he owes but he apparently needs to think about that.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 5/22/07 7:44pm
Msg #191436

Sounds like a boycott is in order

I get so sick and tired of hearing about companies who don't set themselves up appropriately the first, second and subsequent times they start their businesses, expecting forgive and forget on the NSA's part.
I may forgive, but don't forget, and boycott the non-payers.

Reply by Barb/MO on 5/22/07 8:13pm
Msg #191454

When someone claims a bankruptcy filing

I would suggest the immediate response always be to request a copy of notice to creditors, which would provide all the pertinent information about the filing, or the name of the party's attorney to get a copy of it from him/her yourself.

If neither is provided, advise that absent specific, verifiable information about the filing (debtor's name(s), date of filing, court, and case number), you will proceed with collection efforts. So often, deadbeats will repeatedly claim they have or are in the process of filing a bankruptcy petition, but they don't always do so.

Once you have received verifiable information of the filing, I would cease collection efforts unless you're absolutely certain the party who owes you is not included as a bankruptcy debtor (a party filing the petition). Even if you're not listed as a creditor, once you've received advice of the filing, even verbally, you're at risk for being in violation of the automatic stay if you continue collection efforts.

It's not uncommon for someone to file a personal or business Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing, shed all the debt, and turn around and carry on the same business under another name. It's not right, but unless the bankruptcy debtor or the party gets caught red-handed by either the bankruptcy trustee or the court, it happens. And it is frustrating when you're on the creditor side of the issue.

I am aware that there were some major changes in the bankruptcy laws over the past year or so, but I've been out of that side of the business since before the changes, and don't know whether any of the changes make it harder for debtors to do what I allege above.

Good luck!

Reply by MikeC/NY on 5/22/07 7:48pm
Msg #191442

<<I just talked to Keith L Dean. He says he is "immune" to paying anybody anything because he filed bankrupcy.>>

Did you ever receive notice that he was filing for bankruptcy when he owed you money? You may want to check with an attorney, but as far as I know all of the creditors have to be notified of a pending bankruptcy in order to give them the opportunity to file a claim. I don't think he's "immune" if he neglected to list all of his creditors - how can the court discharge his debts without knowing what they are?

This is just my opinion - I am not an attorney and this isn't intended as legal advice.

P.S.: Here's another reason why "bankruptcy processing" as another income stream for notaries public is not a good idea. Unless you know what you are doing, you could be exposing yourself to major liabilities.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 5/22/07 7:54pm
Msg #191446

United Notaries was looking for a notary not that long ago in WI. Definately after he last updated his profile as Dean Notary. Whats up with that? knowing he couldn't pay.

Reply by Michael Martin on 5/22/07 8:07pm
Msg #191451

On 5/14/07 I inquired about two assignments they owed me for. They said that my checks were sent to the wrong Michael Martin (someone in Michigan). They were very convincing asking twice if I ever lived in Michigan I told them no that I live in NC. They said no problem and that they would reissue my checks and mail them immediately. On 5/21/07 I tried to reach them but found out they had disconnected their phones and web site. NO mention of bankrupcy until I talked to Keith Dean tonight. I placed a complaint with the Denver BBB and will also contact the Secretay of State. I don't know about other states but in NC a person has to be of good moral character to qualify as a Notary Public.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 5/22/07 8:24pm
Msg #191460

I filed a complaint earlier today with the SOS. In WI its a crime not to pay a notary for witnessing a document. That is aside from the fact I wasn't paid for printing and handling doc's and travel.

Reply by jojo_MN on 5/22/07 8:34pm
Msg #191464

Maybe we should all start filing criminal charges against

these "signing agencies" that scam us notaries. How many times have we done a closing on Monday (i.e.) and they file bankruptcy on Friday? They know they're not going to pay us before they even send us the confirmation. This happened to me with Executive Closing services and Elite Signing Services. Maybe they should all spend some time in jail and not ever be allowed to work in this field again. Last I knew, fraud is a criminal offense in all states.

Reply by Les_CO on 5/22/07 8:51pm
Msg #191471

SCUM!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.