Notary Rotary
Gas Price Help/Information
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by Green on 5/23/07 9:06am
Msg #191534

I found this wonderful website that tells you where to go to get the cheapest gas in your neighborhood and thought I would share.
http://www.automotive.com/gas-prices/31/florida/index.html

I am not sure if other states are having gas issues as badly as FL, but here is a link to other states information.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/gasprices/states

They also suggest that you empty out your car of heavy items, don't speed, change oil and use unleaded if your car allows for it.

Good Luck everyone.

Reply by Mary_CT on 5/23/07 9:20am
Msg #191536

Hybrid Civic rocks..... n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 5/23/07 10:20am
Msg #191549

Toyota Prius the best!

The only problem? When I got to the pump it is continual sticker shock. I may not fill up for 2 weeks, so I see increases from $2.59 to $2.89, and my throat constricts, my eyes bulge and a squeeking noise emits causing strange looks. That 10 gal. goes a long way.

Reply by FCCARKANSAS on 5/23/07 9:21am
Msg #191537

Thank you so much. Gas is killing me. I've passed it along to everyone in my address book. There is a drive to boycot the two largest oil companies in the country in the hope of forcing them to lower prices. They are Shell and Exxon. I'm going to do it. Don't know if it will work or not, but it's worth the effort!

Reply by LJ on 5/23/07 11:15am
Msg #191562

SUPPLY and DEMAND is the problem. Has nothing at all to do with the oil companies. Get out your bike and use your feet. That is the only way prices will come down. We are so spoiled.

Reply by closerchris on 5/23/07 9:27am
Msg #191538

Uh, I think that most of us use unleaded gas now, didn't they phase out leaded in the late 70's/early 80's? Wink

gasbuddy.com is the one that I use, they've got most major metro areas on there.

Reply by Green on 5/23/07 10:03am
Msg #191541

You are 100% correct. What the article should have said was "regular" unleaded. I am so use to people saying unleaded, plus or premium and not regluar unleaded, plus unleaded or premium unleaded. Live and Learn.

Thanks for the info on gasbuddy.com as well. Good to know.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/23/07 10:06am
Msg #191543

Re: Gas Price Help/Information - thanks, Green n/m

Reply by Green on 5/23/07 10:04am
Msg #191542

Correction to post "regular" instead of "unleaded" n/m

Reply by NCLisa on 5/23/07 11:20am
Msg #191563

Gasbuddy.com is a great site!

I bought a Pontiac Vibe in Oct to help with gas mileage as my other vehicle is a Ford F150 that gets about 12 miles per gallon. I LOVE the car!! I also get between 32 and 35 mpg depending on how much city or highway driving I do.

Reply by kcg on 5/23/07 11:47am
Msg #191569

Re: Srewed by the Oil Companies and

our own government. There is NO shortage...never has been. This is the way the oil companies beef up their profits...look at their record breaking profits for 1st quater 2006 and look at the NEW record breaking profits in 2007. And the present administration supports this - why not, they're all in the oil business themselves.

Back in the early '70s we were told there was a shortage....prices went up and we had to wait in lines to fill up. Slimeball Nixon came on tv and PROMISED that Americans would never face this again because we were going to tap our own sources. Well, the "shortage" was actually cooked up by Kissinger....the Shah of Iran needed money to fight off the insurgents led by the Allatoylah Komeni (sic) and Kissinger said "raise the price of the barrel of oil". The Shah said the Americans would never pay that price.....Kissinger said tell them there is a shortage and they'll pay anything. So the Shah went to OPEC and repeated this...they cried "shortage" raised the price and we happily paid. For those who don't believe this, read books on the great oil shortage of the 70's.

As long as people just sit and wring their hands but keep paying in silence, the powers that be can tell us anything they want and they do. Oil companies can cut prices and governments can cut taxes on oil. If people took to the streets, we'd get their attention.

Boycotting a couple of the major oil companies has merit but you have to get everyone involved.....a few people boycotting makes no difference to them. If people get serious, people CAN make a difference but it takes numbers.

Rent the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car".....we have had the technology to build cars that are don't have to guzzle gas but our 3 giants kept building them while the Japanese went after coming up with hybrids. They now own the patent on hybrids and that is why hybrids built by Ford, GM and Chrysler are so expensive. I have always bought "American" but now the lines as to who owns what and where something is manufactured is so interwined and blurred that I can't even tell anymore what's American and what is not.

I'm currently getting deeply involved in my issue which is the health insurance issue. I've stopped whining and am starting to take steps by getting in touch with my senators and congressmen, getting petitions signed (handwritten signatures) and vowing to take it to the streets. That is the only way a deaf government hears you.

Off my soapbox......

Reply by LarryTN on 5/23/07 12:13pm
Msg #191574

I have a friend who works in the oil industry and he told me there is no oil shortage! Straight from the horse's mouth!

Reply by LJ on 5/23/07 3:07pm
Msg #191613

Larry, your friend is right, there is no "oil" shortage, but (there is always a butt in there somewhere), there is a "gasoline" shortage. The problem is making the oil (crude) into gasoline. There is a "gasoline" supply shortage. The refineries cannot turn that crude into gasoline fast enough to keep up with demand. The problem is supply and demand. The USA has not built a refinery in this country since 1976. The demand for gasoline has increased 25% since then. They cannot make it fast enough. This is straight from the horses mouth also. My family was in the oil industry for 53 years and sold out 2 years ago. I know what I am talking about. The last 5 years in business we lost our butts, big time. I know and realize that the big companies are earning record profits. I don't deny that, but there is another side to that. I know for a fact and can prove it, that Conoco at the time (now Conoco Phillips) bought oil reserves 30 years ago and kept it in storage all these years. They are now releasing that crude and making a killing making it into gasoline. This is also the way the other companies have made such huge profits. That counts for the majority of their record profits the last couple years.
We can also blame the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) for a lot of the high cost we're seeing today. They require a different blend of gasoline for different parts of the country. I for one live in a county where we have to use a "summer blend" of gas. 8 miles from me in another county, they don't have too. So, the refineries have to "blend" all these different gasolines. There is a 7lb gas and a 9lb gas. My husband owns and operates a gas tanker truck. At least twice a week, he tells me he could not get loaded or could only part load because of shortages. It happens all the time. The refinery in Poca City OK cannot produce enough to pipe it to the St. Louis area. In todays paper BP Amoco is shutting down part of the Alaskan pipeline because of a leak. This will interrupt supply in that area for a few days and believe it or not will affect the entire country.
I'll get off my soapbox. I just wish I (my husband is better) could explain the hundreds and hundreds of factors that affect the price. We've been around it our entire lives and it changes daily. To someone who doesn't have a clue what the oil business is like, it looks like someone is making a killing. Yes, some are, but its not the station owners. Please, Please do not take it out on them when you buy gasoline. IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT!!!!! I had one customer cuss me out so bad I had tears. I wish I could show you our books for the last 5 years and show you how much money we lost. It was and still is devastating to our lives. the only thing all of us can do at this point is to limit what you use. Please plan your trips and make every gallon count. When (and I doubt) the DEMAND goes down, will we see prices go down. Use your bike, walk, do whatever it takes to save that gallon of gas. But, as spoiled as the American people are (we're in love with our vehicles), we will continue to drive no matter what the price. Has anyone noticed a change in the traffic? I didn't think so. People are going to pay whatever it costs to drive. No butts about it and they know this. Just my 2cents worth.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.