Notary Rotary
Grant deed, two names, one signature
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by Mickey_Fan on 5/3/07 3:46pm
Msg #188659

I just got a call to notarize one signature on a Grant Deed. No problem. I looked at the Grant Deed and there is a place for both the husband AND wife to sign. This is a divorce situation, she is in my town and he is in Southern California.

Do I do anything on the blank for his signature or just leave it blank? I know I just fill in HER name only as personally appearing before me, but I don't know what to do with the blank for him to sign.

Any ideas? Thank you so much!!!

Barbara

Reply by Michelle_KY on 5/3/07 4:03pm
Msg #188662

Leave his signature line alone. (He still has to sign the document and have his notary attach ack.) Smile

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/3/07 4:04pm
Msg #188663

Nothing. They will probably ship it off to another notary & he will sign & 2nd notary will attach loose cert. indicating 'his name' only. I would put 'her name' (only) on my cert. so nobody can get cute & he just signs his name & adds it to your cert. Most people wouldn't do that, but ya' never know.

Reply by Mickey_Fan on 5/3/07 4:06pm
Msg #188664

So where the acknowledgement says, "personally appeared_______" I fill in HER name only. I wonder if I should say, "Jane Smith, only" or just "Jane Smith".

Thank you both for your quick response. This was something I have not encountered yet.

Barbara

Reply by Kim_CA on 5/3/07 4:13pm
Msg #188668

Hi Barbara,

I have had instances where I've written Jane Smith and then drawn a line after the name so that no other names could be added and I've also written Jane Smith only. I haven't had any problems with the docs recording either way.

Kim

Reply by Michelle_KY on 5/3/07 4:18pm
Msg #188670

Yes, writing "Jane Smith only" will prevent someone from writing in "and John Smith" later on. (Sometimes people try to pull funny stuff on split signings.) It helps protect your certificate from being altered.

Reply by cara on 5/3/07 4:10pm
Msg #188667

Yes, it looks like this is a split signing. Information above applies. Good luck!

Reply by Joe Ewing on 5/3/07 4:34pm
Msg #188671

The Acknowledgment on the Grant Deed would be completed before your signature and seal are affixed. That would require you to print the name of the person who personally appeared and you said that person was a "she". after the (proved to me by satisfactory evidence) part you would cross out the (S)'s and circle (is), (she) and (her). Leave the other signers signature line blank and the next notary will attach a loose California All purpose Acknowledgment after he signs.

Reply by Mickey_Fan on 5/3/07 4:40pm
Msg #188675

You guys ROCK! Thank you all so much. I don't do many signings, but since I became a premier member here my phone is ringing a LOT more. I work a full-time day job, and an trying to hone my NSA skills.

I LOVE this forum!

Barbara

Reply by Michelle_KY on 5/3/07 4:49pm
Msg #188677

Barbara, IMHO Joe provided the best answer for your California split signing. I forgot that Calif. ack. had the "he/she/they" wording, which would negate any reason for adding the word "only" after Jane Smith. (Some of the certificates I see in my state do not have that wording.)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.