Notary Rotary
HP 1320T Printer
Notary Discussion History

HP 1320T Printer
Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by Dennis D Broadbooks on 5/30/07 4:41pm
Msg #192753

HP 1320T Printer

I've come across an opportunity to pick up a virtually unused HP 1320T printer for $200.00 (advertised new @ $500.00). They've been discontinued by HP since January of this year. My question for anyone in the know is whether this model with dual trays has the capability of printing letter & legal size docs on the fly. In other words will it distinguish letter from legal within the same file it's printing from & send the print command accordingly to the right tray? HP's web site is virtually no help & a Google search has been fruitless as well. TIA for any & all assistance.

Reply by Becca_FL on 5/30/07 4:59pm
Msg #192756

You can purchase an addition tray for the 1320tn. I don't know about the 1320t. I do know that you can not get an extra tray for the 1320. I have a plain Jane 1320 that I use on the road and I've been vary happy with it. I paid $299 after a $50 mail in rebate in September 05.

FWIW

Reply by Ndwa on 5/30/07 5:02pm
Msg #192758

Re: HP 1320T Printer-Becca

The letters included in a printer model are:
t = dual tray.
d = duplex
n = network

Reply by Becca_FL on 5/30/07 5:07pm
Msg #192760

Ahhh! Who says you can't learn something new here everyday?! n/m

Reply by Ndwa on 5/30/07 4:59pm
Msg #192757

Any printer with dual tray should and is capable of printing letter & legal on the fly or via program command. It's a matter of user's know how.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 5/30/07 5:16pm
Msg #192763

Thanks, Andy!

Since I currently have as one of my printers the single tray 1320, in looking at the printer properties I'm assuming you simply assign the proper legal or letter size paper in the "Form to Tray Assignment" under the Device Settings. There are 3 tray assignments with the first for the manual input tray & the other two for the normal letter/legal trays.

Reply by Ndwa on 5/30/07 5:19pm
Msg #192764

You're welcome!

You're on the right track.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 5/30/07 5:40pm
Msg #192768

Andy or Dennis...

...here's a reply I just received from HP's tech forum.

"I'm not over-familiar with PDF; I assume, from your description, that the PDF application (Acrobat, etc.) has some means of tagging each page with an appropriate paper size.

The LJ1320 printer (in common with most other LaserJet devices) will print on whatever paper size it is told to, for any particular page.

Few printers understand PDF natively (some of the larger models, such as LJ4250 do, provided at least 128MB of memory is installed).

So most printers are 'told what to do' via printer control sequences (embedded in the incoming print stream), using one of the standard Page Description Languages (PDLs) such as PCL5, PCL6 (aka PCL XL) or PostScript; the print stream will usually have been generated by a printer driver which 'converts' the text and graphics objects in the original application (e.g. Acrobat) to an appropriate set of data and control sequences.

But standard printer drivers don't give you the option of selecting a particular paper size for each page; the most you'll usually get is an option to print the first page from a different input tray to the remainder of the document, having selected a particular paper size for the WHOLE of the print request.

Where a PDF file contains images suited to different paper sizes, I suspect that what may happen is that the PDF application (Acrobat, etc.), in conjunction with the selected printer driver, attempts to scale individual pages to suit the target (single) paper size selected in the driver 'preferences' dialogue.

Or it may just cause data/control sequences to be written which will overflow 'target' pages smaller than the original."

Your thoughts, guys?

Reply by MikeC/NY on 5/30/07 7:37pm
Msg #192789

Re: Andy or Dennis...

I'm not Andy or Dennis, but my experience has been that if the trays are identified by page size AND the document was properly scanned, the printer will always pull paper from the correct tray. All you need to do is make sure you identify the trays correctly, and then make sure Adobe is set to choose the paper source according to the PDF page size - after that, it's all up to whoever sends you the PDF.

Reply by Ndwa on 5/30/07 9:54pm
Msg #192803

Re: Andy or Dennis...

Dennis, here's my interpretation. There is a small margin of tolerance that the printer or Adobe (v8 at best) take into account to decide what paper size would best fit to what's being printed. If that tolerance is less than or greater than expected, then manual override is need (hence the flashing green light on your printer).

Reply by Dennis_IN on 5/30/07 5:11pm
Msg #192761

Re: HP T Printer

I have a 1320TN and it is a work horse.
I wish I could come across a deal like you have.
I say go for it.

Reply by Doris_CO on 5/30/07 6:02pm
Msg #192772

I have the 1320 TN. Just set each drawer with the size paper and the print preference to "printer auto select" and it will print on the correct PDF size automatically.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.