Notary Rotary
ID Theft and Non-Paying Signing Companies
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by Michael Martin on 5/24/07 10:30am
Msg #191735

There is always alot of talk abount non paying companies and all the action one is going to take or should take against a company. Recently a company closed it doors owing many people. My problem with taking all possible (legal) action against the owner is this. The company has OUR SENSITIVE ID information--ss#,address,some have photo copies of Drivers licence,etc. We are at their mercy. If they are unscrupulous enough to cheat us out of money they may also be unscrupulous enough to steal our identies. Any suggestions other than having ID Theft Insurance (which I have)?

Reply by sue_pa on 5/24/07 10:52am
Msg #191743

a suggestion that has been around for years from people with years of experience in this business - don't give them your ss and don't give them your drivers license to start with.

Reply by Calnotary on 5/24/07 11:17am
Msg #191750

None of all the companies I work for, NONE have my SS# nor my DL#. If one company requests a DL I will send them that but I block the DL#. As far as the SS# I give them my EIN#

Reply by Michael Martin on 5/24/07 11:42am
Msg #191754

You are right. I should have an EIN and I didn't think to block out the DL#. In my haste to become a NSA I forgot the basics of common sense. I was also ignorant to the fact that even Notary Publics can be unscrupulos scum. I always thought that a Notary Public was held to a higher standard therefore he/she would be of a higher standard.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 5/24/07 12:01pm
Msg #191757

Don't beat yourself up too much. It's all part of the learning curve. You can take some measures such as getting in touch with the big three credit reporting companies and freeze your credit report so it can't be run without your permission. It can be a pain when you want to buy something, but it can save you problems .... If you are married, then have your wife freeze hers also.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 5/24/07 12:06pm
Msg #191759

I always thought that a Notary Public was held

to a higher standard therefore he/she would be of a higher standard.
You are so right.
But greed changes that.
Thank you XYZ for the promises of $100 K to all.

Reply by SharonMN on 5/24/07 4:13pm
Msg #191816

Sending info to SS

Always check out a company's reputation (and possibly wait until you're offered an actual assignment) before sending too much personal info. Why would you send all of that to someone just because they have a web site? Could be a phishing site and not involved with notaries or signings at all.

Reply by Mickey_Fan on 5/24/07 4:40pm
Msg #191829

Re: Sending info to SS

I will send them most of the information they ask for, but my I-9 and Driver's License do not go till I have an assignment. There is a note on the I-9 that I DO send that says they can have a complete copy when I get an assignment, due to privacy concerns.

Reply by Michael Martin on 5/24/07 5:29pm
Msg #191844

I only sent the info to them after I completed the job. They said to get paid for the work they needed the w-9 etc. I made the mistake of not getting a EIN and filled in my ss# on the w-9. Thanks to this forum I woke up and got a EIN today and will black out my DL # in the future.

Reply by Terri_CA on 5/24/07 7:00pm
Msg #191864

Funny thing, many of those contracts state that the Notary/Independent Contractor will maintain all licenses/commissions in order to provide the requested services. I refuse to provide copies of my DL based on that section of the contract. It says that I agree to do so and they'll have to take it at face value that I will, without having to provide proof that I do.

Reply by Cyd Hastings on 5/24/07 7:57pm
Msg #191872

Message Deleted

This message has been deleted by a forum moderator.

Reason: Advertising

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.