Notary Rotary
Laser vs Ink Jet
Notary Discussion History

Laser vs Ink Jet
Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by Green on 5/21/07 1:40pm
Msg #191134

Laser vs Ink Jet

Is it manditory in FL that you print the documents with a Laser printer? I have the HP Officejet 7210 All-in-One and it prints out very nicely and does not smudge.

Reply by Becca_FL on 5/21/07 1:48pm
Msg #191137

You MUST use a Laser printer

if you plan to print loan docs. PERIOD.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/21/07 1:53pm
Msg #191140

All recordable documents should be printed with a laser printer, no matter what state you are located in.
You could do the borrowers copies on an ink jet but the loan docs need to be laser printed.
Not a case of "smudging".
Also, the Officejet 7210 emulates PCL 3. Edocs downloaded from a website usually require PCL5 or PCL6.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 5/21/07 2:09pm
Msg #191148

The first time you do loan docs on and ink jet will be the last time you work for that particular company. Also, the cost of using a laser is a fraction of an ink jet, so you would not even want to print the BO's copies with one. Use the search function and type in the key word printers and you will find many recommendations for low cost pcl5 or 6 compatable printers.

Reply by Green on 5/21/07 2:14pm
Msg #191150

Thank you very much. I am not trying to be a smart a _ _ or obnoxious, I am just curious why Laser jet over Ink jet?

Laser jet cartridges are more expensive, correct? I was thinking of getting both since I do a lot of printing that does not require laser printing and if the laser cartridges are more expensive than ink jet it would be worth it. What are your thoughts.

Reply by Mickey_Fan on 5/21/07 2:17pm
Msg #191152

The cartridges may be more expensive, but compare cost per sheet and you will find that a laser printer beats an ink printer hands down.

Reply by CaliNotary on 5/21/07 2:18pm
Msg #191153

print a page out of your ink jet printer and sprinkle a few drops of water on it. That should answer your question pretty clearly. That doesn't happen with laser printing.

Laser cartridges are more expensive, but most are easy to refill for about 10 bucks, and I think you get a lot more pages from a laser cartridge than an ink jet one.

It's not about whether it's worth it or not, it's an absolute requirement in this industry. I'd say about 75-80% of my business is edocs now, you just can't succeed without it.

Reply by Green on 5/21/07 2:28pm
Msg #191159

"It's not about whether it's worth it or not, it's an absolute requirement in this industry. I'd say about 75-80% of my business is edocs now, you just can't succeed without it."

I understand that it is a requirement, but I do a lot (80%) of work that has nothing to do with being a notary and that is why I was asking.

After reviewing the very helpful e-mails from everyone it makes sense to go laser for all of my work.

Reply by dickb/wi on 5/21/07 7:48pm
Msg #191196

it's not being a notary that.....

causes you to need a laser jet....it's about doing loan closings.......

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/21/07 2:18pm
Msg #191154

Once you use the laser you won't want to use your inkjet again (except maybe for personal printing needs) - the laser has such a nice quality to it..

Shop for it on e-bay for your initial investment - you can get some good buys there for a fraction of the cost you'd pay to the dealer. I paid $125 last August for my HP2200d and I love it!!

Reply by Teresa/FL on 5/21/07 2:19pm
Msg #191155

Yes, laser jet cartridges are more expensive than ink jet, but you get more copies per cartridge. Your cost per page is much less with a laser jet. You can also refill your laser cartridges for approx 1/3 the cost of a new cartridge.

Reply by Joan_OH on 5/21/07 2:20pm
Msg #191156

Absolutely not. You will be lucky to get 2 sets of loan docs out of an inkjet cartridge and the last time I had to buy one for my husbands printer it cost $25. My cartridges for my HP 4100 cost me $25 (including shipping) and are rated for 10,000 pages.

Hands down, the laser is a LOT less $$$$ to operate w/HP being the cheapest IMO due to the easy availability of aftermarket cheap cartridges.

Joan-OH

Reply by Green on 5/21/07 2:28pm
Msg #191160

Thank you everyone for your wonderful insight.

Reply by FWP/WA on 5/21/07 2:52pm
Msg #191164

I'm really surprised no one mentioned the most obvious of all the reasons...speed. Ever tried printing 100 pages on an inkjet? How about a laser?

With the inkjet, 100 pages would take long enough you can go take the trash out, make some coffee, get the mail, go get some breakfast at Denny's...you get the picture.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.