Notary Rotary
Late Fees
Notary Discussion History

Late Fees
Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by NJBare on 5/23/07 11:46am
Msg #191568

Late Fees

Just checking to see if anyone has had experience with charging late fees and how you determined a fee amount as well as your success in collecting.

Thanks in advance!

Reply by TRG_wy on 5/23/07 12:19pm
Msg #191577

Yes. $25 late fee - this covers accounting, time spent trying to collect, re-invoicing, telephone calls e.t.c. My terms are net 45 days from closing date. I advise late fee may be added at 60 days but usually I don't add it until the 90 day time is hit. If it hits that 90 day day mark I also add a 1.5% per month interest going back to the 60 day time.

Also, once they are 60 days late, I place them on my "denial of service list" until all arears accounts are paid in full.

Some try to make just the initial payment once I hit them with the late fee, but I keep invoicing them and interest keeps adding up to. All this is legal under state statute here BTW.

I cannot afford to keep supplementing their business at the expense of my own. I have initial out of pocket expenses to cover the signing and that money is out the window until I am paid for services rendered.

Reply by AE/ORWA on 5/23/07 12:26pm
Msg #191579

I charge 1.5% per month when they are over 30 days past due. Due date is ten days after the signing, as any loan would have funded by then and the title co's I work for should have received the fees they charged for my services per the HUD. In other words, I start charging at 40 days after signing. However, I am a bit more lenient with my larger accounts.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.