NNA BGC/Servicelink
Notary Discussion History

NNA BGC/Servicelink
Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by Stamper_WI on 5/5/07 10:00am
Msg #188972

NNA BGC/Servicelink

Actually I got 2 letters.
They are asking for a BGC as required by some of their clients. That's fine. They list 4 options. The first 2 are directing you to the NNA. #2 States that if your NNA certification was done prior to Jan 23, 2007 it must have been re examined and you must have an additional certification from the NNA. Apparently the additional certification was discussed with the NNA by one national lender and they had to modify the process.
SO you folks that got your BGC prior to that date may want to check into that if you got it through the NNA. After all you have had to pay to get that BGC including membership dues, I hope you get the re certification for free.
#3 Says they will accept a BGC from a "reputable Firm" then it "may" be acceptable provided it is less than a year old. The clients accept or reject the screening.
#4 Pertains to attorneys. All they have to do is prove they are a member in good standing with their state Bar.
If you choose not to comply, Servicelink will have to restrict signings you can do based on their clients specific requirements.
In comparing the Servicelink form for information and the BGC Notary Rotary did, It appears that Notary Rotary's is as, if not more detailed and thorough than what is being required by Servicelinks requested information. In fact The one done by Fiserve doesn't even seem as thorough!

Reply by DCD/MI on 5/5/07 10:26am
Msg #188976

Seriously, has anyone lost work if they didn't have a BGC?

It all sounds like it's just padding some wallets to me.

Reply by NCLisa on 5/5/07 8:57pm
Msg #189019

Re: Seriously, has anyone lost work if they didn't have a BGC?

I had one client ask me for one 2 years ago. They paid for it, so I agreed. I have not been asked by anyone else for a BGC.

Reply by DebbieT on 5/5/07 11:05am
Msg #188981

I received two yesterday also. I got my BCG before January. I went ahead and faxed that one anyway. The certificate does not state when it was done.

Reply by Kevin/Ct on 5/5/07 11:16am
Msg #188982

Our law firm has not received a request except from signing services with whom we normally would have nothing to do. In fact our volume this year has increased.

The certificate of good standing with the court makes sense as an alternative to the CBG. In Connecticut a client can get one upon request made to the Superior court. There is minimal expense involved as compared to the other back ground checks.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 5/5/07 11:31am
Msg #188983

Re: NNA BGC/Servicelink ~ I just completed one through

First American CREDCO. They use a 3rd party inspector and I was subjected not only to the background check but also to a physical inpsection of my offices and written procedures. Of course its for my loan business but they were somuch more professional than anything I've come across from the NNA. The compliance inspections are performed quarterly and the whole process seemed actually much more reasonable than the demands from NNA not to say a whole lot more professional.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 5/5/07 12:17pm
Msg #188999

The Fiserve BGC did not include the national criminal BGC . Not Rot's did.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 5/5/07 1:32pm
Msg #189006

The program I'm in is different and is very intensive since I have unrestricted access to personal financial information through the three credit bureaus since my company is now also doing banking as defined by the FTC. I'm very curious to see if anyone asks me for my BGC, it hasn't happened yet. I've sent NNA. It is because of their machinations and those who they associate with to prey on notaries that the system is such a mess and everyone I believe is just waiting until something gets standardized. The NNA BGC is a figment of NNAs imagination and is only a sales tool in my opinion. It falls very short of any reasonable BGC. In other words, I agree with you Wink! I no idea what Fiserve does. The program I went through is through a third party service provider and includes quarterly audits.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 5/5/07 1:45pm
Msg #189011

Fiserve hase a OFAC Search, and county criminal background...at least that is what it says. I do not how indepth the OFAC search is but it is throught the US treasury Dept.

Reply by Karen Burch on 5/6/07 7:53am
Msg #189054

I also had to supply Servicelink a BGC and I went through State Police (Virginia). I cost $15.00 and got it back in 2 weeks. I could of priority mailed it and gotten it back sooner. Servicelink was satisfied with the results of the check. Just a thought and make plenty of copies of it or hold on to your original . My guess is we will be needing to provide this more often....

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.