Notary Rotary
Need suggestions for internet mapping sites that work
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by Lee/AR on 5/25/07 11:36am
Msg #191984

Have been around long enough to have gone thru several of them. They 'improve' them (NOT). Borrowed a friend's GPS and I don't know who was more confused it or me--so that's not an option I want to try again. I'll give all mapping sites a whirl--but knowing your experience & caveats will surely help. TIA

Reply by hcampersFL on 5/25/07 11:47am
Msg #191985

I like Google Earth

Seems to be the most up to date for my area.

Reply by Calnotary on 5/25/07 11:50am
Msg #191986

Re: I like Google Earth

I like more www.zillow.com when I don't find a brand new section of houses, google earth,google maps, yahoo maps and the only one that shows the address is zillow. Even though is not for map directions but it gives you an idea where the property is located at.

Reply by Becca_FL on 5/25/07 12:05pm
Msg #191988

I like Google Maps. n/m

Reply by cara on 5/25/07 1:34pm
Msg #192004

GGoogle Earth and Zillow are wonderful, agreed. However, I do have a caveat....they are not necessarily great for rural areas. I had a signing Thursday night in a rural area. Google Earth told me to turn right at 266 feet. I would have landed in an orchard. I made the first right I could after .75 mile and it was wrong. My turn (on unpaved roads) was over a mile. This might have been a time for GPS. Cell phone was the hero that night.

Another trick I use for night signings is to go to the local county mapping department's site and print out a map that shows me exactly where the lot is.....so many lots on the right or left hand side of the street. Ladies, if your county has GPS mapping on line, this can be a life saver!

Reply by GLRMbile on 5/25/07 2:49pm
Msg #192021

I carry a county map book with me at all times and purchase an up to date version every year.It has save me a lot of wrong turns in the rural areas I travelSmile

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/26/07 4:41am
Msg #192116

I used to like Yahoo maps until they improved it. Actually, even until recently. All of a sudden (about a month ago when I got my new pc), not all of my keystrokes register the first time. Major pain. I thought it was my equipment at first, but it doesn't happen anywhere else. I've been using Google maps which I'm very happy with. I'll have to try out Google Earth!

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 5/26/07 6:14am
Msg #192120

I agree - "Improvement" are not

I loved the old Yahoo "dial up" directions. It saved all your most recent searches, was user friendly and easy to use. The new one is a piece of S#$%. Guess they never heard of the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Sure wish I knew how to complain to yahoo about it. Any suggestions?

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 5/26/07 6:12am
Msg #192119

I love MS Streets & Trips (software)

I have NEVER been lost or had it give me wrong info, it's WAY faster than the internet maps, can zoom into a person's living room and show you where they put their furniture. Will map my route according to my preference (freeway or no freeway, shortest distance or fastest, etc). Updates for new roads, etc. Shows landmarks, banks, restaurants & such (if you want it to - and sometimes I like the landmarks, easier to watch for 'first street past the Mobile station' than reading street signs on busy roads).

I have had a few brand new builds it couldn't find, but then I'd try all the internet maps and neither could they. For those, I call the assessor's office - they always are so nice, have the maps right there and tell me exactly where to go. For newly built subs that aren't mapped - the post office is another good place to call.

Reply by jojo_MN on 5/26/07 10:06am
Msg #192155

In my part of the country, MAPQUEST is the most accurate.

Right down to the .10 of a mile. They are also the most accurate to time to get there. I am in a very hilly terrain.

The maps the NNA uses are the most inaccurate. I can't count the number of times a client calls me and tell me that according to the NNA website I'm only 27 miles away from the borrower, when in fact it is more close to 50 miles.

You might also want to invest in a GPS for when you're on the road. They all have come down considerably in price. I don't know how I ever survived without mine!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.