Notary Rotary
OT/ Important Message!! Really Important
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by Teddog/CO on 5/15/07 12:44pm
Msg #190226

Just to let all of you know, be Very careful regarding your personal information. I just had the Thrill of being on the phone all morning contacting Dell, Experian and my Credit card company.

I received a bill from Dell regarding a Leased printer, problem being I never Lease anything. So after calling Dell I was told the item leased is a huge printer. Sadly for Dell and me I own a Brothers printer. "Let the games begin." So now I have to wait for Dell to send me an affidavit and make a police report and request a search warrant be sent to Dell.

My BIG Point is this, the person got my information from my notary business, one-way or the other, business card, a company I worked, ad on a site or just "surfing" notary sites. I don't know how, but the source was through the notary business. That's all I can say about the source of this problem at this time. So, this is the first bill which means this was done last month.

This has always been the reason that I DO NOT LINK my name to my personal information. It has always been my opinion we all give a way to much information on these sites. I suggest we all use a LOT more caution and be careful where you give your cards out and what kind of information you use in your listings.

Teddog

Reply by rengel/CA on 5/15/07 12:59pm
Msg #190229

What a P I T A! That's the reason I use a PO Box -

Reply by OR on 5/15/07 3:02pm
Msg #190247

Re: OT/ Great reason to

have a business Tax Id number. EIN business. It keeps personal information just that personal not business information.

Reply by PCasey/CO on 5/15/07 1:42pm
Msg #190233

You can also put a hold on your credit reports so that they will not allow any credit inquiries on your account without first verifying with you that it is ok.

I'm just curious, are you using your social security # or do you have an EIN #? I have an EIN number and any vendors or businesses would require a signed copy of your W-9 before they would extend any credit. I agree with you though, the information we have to supply to these SS Companies seems like a lot and we have NO IDEA who the people are that see this information.

If you don't have one, you can get an EIN number online for free at the irs website.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 5/15/07 2:07pm
Msg #190238

I've been using EIN and I surely do not like the information some of these companies ask us for . Perhaps we should require them to past a Security background check before we work for them. lol

Reply by DebbieT on 5/15/07 2:12pm
Msg #190239

Was this a paper bill that came in the mail box? The reason I ask is because I always get these fake emails from "Ebay" showing an invoice of something I supposedly bought. I have also had some crazy things come in the mail also. Just make sure it is actually Dell you are dealing with.

Reply by DebbieT on 5/15/07 2:14pm
Msg #190241

PS, My paranoia has gotten me out of alot of trouble.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 5/15/07 11:45pm
Msg #190286

Get an EIN taxpaper number from www.irs.gov.

List yourself as a "Sole Proprietor" and complete the SS-4 at the prompt for Forms and Publications and you can instantly get an EIN number.
Identity theft starts with your SS number; get rid of it and use an EIN

Reply by MikeC/NY on 5/15/07 4:29pm
Msg #190256

I don't understand...

How would they get your credit card number from your notary business? Or did they open a new credit card account using your name and personal information?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.