Notary Rotary
OT Mike NYC - WordPerfect - Thank you.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by BrendaTx on 5/19/07 8:23am
Msg #190918

Thanks to your insight I was able to do the Table of Contents with no problem. Select, Mark, Generate, Done! I never did understand the way to do a Table of Authorities (Index of Authorities).

In a real estate transaction law firm environment you just don't need to cite a whole bunch of cases on a regular basis.

The case that I was working on for this project was a real estate related case where one party in a property partition suit decided to appeal the decision. The appeal was groundless, nonetheless it had to be dealt with from our end. Since our work was done from the Appellee perspective we only had to deal with four citings. I did the Index of Authorities by hand after giving it about 30 minutes to figure out how to generate it from Word Perfect. It took me about 10 minutes. LOL.

(My previous experience in contested probate and real estate transactions. None of those were ever appealed so I haven't had to work much with collecting the cited cases or law into a table.)

Reply by MikeC/NY on 5/19/07 11:34am
Msg #190938

Glad you were able to get that working - neat feature, isn't it? Tables of Authorities are a little trickier, and you're right, they're so much easier to do manually if you only have a few cites. The good part about the auto feature is that you can regenerate the table if you need to because of additional editing - it keeps track of the page numbers for you.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/19/07 11:59am
Msg #190942

Right! It was the absolute last thing I did. It is also my first time to have to submit an electronic copy (PDF) of a legal document to a court. I am very glad I had the experience, but not looking forward to doing it again. Smile

Anyhow, your little bit of insight was all I needed. I could have read all day and not gotten the idea of it. I really, really and deeply appreciate it.

The joke in our little firm is now that my boss and I are the "Litigation and Appellate Section" of The Firm. We almost never see the inside of a courtroom where I work now and I gotta tell ya, that makes life so much easier for me. I am sure you can see what I mean. Of course, my day is driven by the date a loan funds or a transaction closes, but seldom by the date set by a court.

Thank you again.

Let me know if I can ever return the favor somehow.

BrendaTx

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.