Notary Rotary
Printer All in One
Notary Discussion History

Printer All in One
Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by Green on 5/22/07 10:34am
Msg #191306

Printer All in One

Thank you all very much! I spent many hours on the internet and at the store looking for an all-in-one printer and with your help I found the Brother MFC 8860DN to be the best fit for me. The only thing it does not have is color printing, but since most of my color printing is pictures I purchased the HP Deskjet D4160 (small enough to fit in my office and cheap). The laser print is just not as good as the ink jet when it comes to printing pictures (I think).

The 8860DN all in one is huge, but it is very quick, has a legal size scanner flatbed, duplexer for 2-sided docs and the paper tray converts to Legal/Letter. The only thing I have not tried is printing envelopes. Maybe someone who has this printer can advise.

There is also the Brother MFC-8460N All in One (older version of the 8860DN) that is only $399 at Office Max (does not have duplex). The 8860 is $499 at Office Depot. You might be able to get cheaper on ebay..., but I needed a new one a.s.a.p.

The HP 2840 Color was nice, but it was only 20 ppm, not a legal glass scanner and you had to change the cartridge to color/blk (seemed messy to me and I only use color for pictures).

The HP 3055 prints only 19 ppm, not legal glass scanner and only has 110 page fax memory.

I have heard from several people who have mad that the HP states that it is mac compatible, but that they have found it is not/difficult to work with. I don't have mac so I am unable to confirm. Anyone?

Both the HP and the Brothers allow you to upgrade with your warranty.

HP - I have had several HP all in one printers and have found that they take a dump too quickly. (1) decided to print out blank paper continuously and it in would cost more to fix then replace... (2) decided to just not turn on one day and again would cost more to fix then replace... Oh yeah, it always decides to go after the warranty is up. (This may not be the norm, but it has been a reoccurrence for me).

I would suggest always doing research because they are continuously coming out with new printers and if you search on the internet and can wait you can get good deals. This website can help you a lot if you click on the search button.

These are only my findings! Others may have a different opinion and they are always welcome. That is how we learn/discover.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 5/22/07 1:23pm
Msg #191332

Re: Printer All in One ~ Seems you are on the right track...

I use injets for photos and prefer the Epson graphic printer line but that is mainly personal and becasue I like to take panaroma's which can take papers of special length. The only thing better than ink-jet is dye sublimation but I defy anyone to tell the difference without a magnifying glass. Other than the Epsons, I prefer HP for all my heavy duty printing. I find that overall the HP lines are worth every cent you spend on them but that is only my opinion and you mileage may vary. I have Brother laser facsimile equipment and I like it a lot. To my min

Reply by Charles_Ca on 5/22/07 1:23pm
Msg #191333

Re: Printer All in One ~ Seems you are on the right track...

I use injets for photos and prefer the Epson graphic printer line but that is mainly personal and becasue I like to take panaroma's which can take papers of special length. The only thing better than ink-jet is dye sublimation but I defy anyone to tell the difference without a magnifying glass. Other than the Epsons, I prefer HP for all my heavy duty printing. I find that overall the HP lines are worth every cent you spend on them but that is only my opinion and you mileage may vary. I have Brother laser facsimile equipment and I like it a lot. To my min

Reply by Charles_Ca on 5/22/07 1:24pm
Msg #191334

Sorry for the double posting! ...continuation~To my mind...

...the Brother is a close second to HP.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.