Notary Rotary
Question regarding SS
Notary Discussion History

Question regarding SS
Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by Lynn1765/FL on 5/6/07 4:07pm
Msg #189095

Question regarding SS

I have rattled my brain, my spouse' brain, my family's brains. I have their answers, now I would like to rattle your brains, please.

I work full time in the clerical field, and I have two neurologically challenged children whose issues routinely interrupt my full time job with calls regarding their behavior in school.

I began receiving calls for ss for morning appointments a week ago, which is GREAT, only problem is there will be further interruption from my full time job.

My question is would I be smart to leave my full time job, to work ss assignments only? This would allow me the flexibility to be available for my children, be more available for assignments, yet I wouldn't have the steady income.

I hope I haven't confused anyone, my brain is ultimately fried trying to make a decision...

Your suggestions, ideas, and advise are most certainly welcome.

Lynn

Reply by Michelle Tomerlin on 5/6/07 4:12pm
Msg #189097

Big question is can you live on lesser monies...

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/6/07 4:19pm
Msg #189101

In a declining market with constant attempts at reducing fees, can you afford it? Your call.

Reply by Margaret_FL on 5/6/07 4:31pm
Msg #189102

There are 61 CNSA with 20 miles of you and 74 within 50 miles of you. That is not very saturated as my area in Jacksonville. There are 500 CSNA with 20 miles of me and 750 within 50 miles. You can not put all your eggs in one basket. You have to diversify and do other things but if your income is not paying the rent, car payment, etc. Then go for it, but these signings can be very last minute most of the time.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/6/07 4:49pm
Msg #189107

Re: Question regarding SS - those numbers are staggering

Margaret. I cannot even imagine.

The only hope I'd think in a situation like that would be to have availability 24/7...not just in the evenings.

Reply by Margaret_FL on 5/6/07 6:20pm
Msg #189117

Re: Question regarding SS - those numbers are staggering

Brenda,

The numbers have been like that for a few years. When I tried to start network here I found that most
of them had not done one signing. They wanted to do ride alongs. I get calls everyday wanting to do this.
I tried to help someone once and right after I talked to her I got an assignment for 11:00am the next day, docs were sent the night before. I called her cell phone, home phone and emailed her and she finally
called me back about 5pm the next day. If I could not reach her, how are the signing companies going to reach her. She begged me and could not even be reached. I do try to help but many do not have the
work ethic I do. I have a lot of people contact me about inspections, but honestly many people do not have what it takes. All this week I have gotten up at 5:00am out the door by 5:30 arriving at my first property at 7:00am. I am visiting my last property of the day at 7:15pm and then usually have a 3 hour
drive home getting home by 10pm, then downloading my photos and inspection reports until around midnight and getting up again the next morning at 5am. I only do this the first week of the month and I have until the 10th of the month to complete them. I have already completed all my inspections today by noon and I just got through doing my invoice and faxed it over. I make enough doing inspections in 5 days and I did not getting a signing I will be fine. But as loan signings are up and down, so are inspections.
But after I have had a good month in inspections, I can be very choosy who I work for and how much I charge. I still get as many as 10 calls a day to do signings and sometimes get asked what my schedule is and they will work around it.

Reply by Margaret_FL on 5/6/07 4:31pm
Msg #189103

There are 61 CNSA with 20 miles of you and 74 within 50 miles of you. That is not very saturated as my area in Jacksonville. There are 500 CSNA with 20 miles of me and 750 within 50 miles. You can not put all your eggs in one basket. You have to diversify and do other things but if your income is not paying the rent, car payment, etc. Then go for it, but these signings can be very last minute most of the time.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/6/07 4:52pm
Msg #189108

Can you get enough income weekly from signings to equal your full time job? Will that be enough to pay the bills? Does your present job provide you with benefits? If so, what happens to those? Although the hours may be more flexible for you, you may end up putting in a whole lot more hours to make what you're making in your full-time job, or less for that matter if you end up with account receivables over the 60 day mark (which is also something that needs to be considered). And don't forget to include SE taxes in your figures -you'll need to set that much aside or make quarterly payments (depending on your situation)

All just JMHO and I wish you luck.

Reply by LkArrowhd/CA on 5/6/07 4:46pm
Msg #189105

Re: Question regarding SS-Lynn this is a tough

decision but one only you can make I'm afraid. Notary work does offer tremendous freedom in many ways, but not a totally reliable paycheck if you will. As other have asked, are you in a position to live with the fluctuations of the notary profession mainly the paycheck. Also I suspect with your children you may need health care benefits, this is a big plus with many jobs and perhaps the clerical position you currently hold, or maybe you take benefits with your hubby's work. Benefits can be worth a lot, also does your current position offer a retirement plan, this is also of value to some.

Notary work is interesting and there is nothing more rewarding then building your own business and being adventurous to do so.

Does you current position offer you a leave of absence option for a limited time where they will hold your position open for your return?

Reply by christiSocal on 5/6/07 6:31pm
Msg #189120

I don't have very many morning signings

Most are afternoon- evening. Thats another aspect you should think about.

Reply by PCasey/CO on 5/6/07 7:08pm
Msg #189127

Diversify - try getting into the Virtual Assistant field. If you have a solid clerical background and a good office setup you may be able to start up a virtual assistant practice. Neither are going to be easy and you will have to build your business slowly. As all have said, it's up to you and your budget if you can handle the fluxuations in the income.

There is a great book out there you can buy called "The 2-Second Commute" that is specifically about the Virtual Assistant business. Of course, you can also google it to find a lot of the support organizations. Depending on your background you might even consider specializing in the real estate industry.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 5/6/07 8:08pm
Msg #189134

To the point

The market is fairly slow, and you are in a heavily saturated state.
If you are good at it all the tasks involved, you can make it, but don't count on it
being commensurate with a good salary and bennies until you have built a loyal and steady clientele.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 5/7/07 5:06am
Msg #189157

Similar experience, Lynn ...

I raised a child under similar circumstances, and first let my say my heart goes out to you. I could never have managed to pull off being an NSA, and for the most part I didn't/couldn't work for 14 years. I can tell you this - it was NEVER something I regretted.

When you never know what your day will bring, and you have to always be available for those situations that "routinely interrupt" your day - what will you do when you've committed to a closing, and suddenly can't pull it off because you're in the middle of a 'situation'? What if you're at someone's house DOING a closing, and you get one of those emergency calls?

I don't really know how I got through those years - but I did, and you will too, somehow. They helped me become a much better person (I think?!). The things we 'sacrificed' financially became things we apparently didn't need, and I believe that growing up with 'less' helped my kids grow into adults with better abilities at deciphering their own needs vs. wants.

I became the Queen of Make-Do, an expert at stretching a beef roast into 15 meals, push-mowed 3/4 of an acre for 5 years until someone gave us a riding mower, never had a dishwasher, bought my first piece of furniture when I was 40. I learned how to sew, how to substitute, how to use power tools, how to grow vegetables, how to fix almost anything, made almost every gift I ever gave anyone.

People seem to be able to do whatever they absolutely HAVE to do, because they see no other option. I saw staying home as my only option - and I had no choice but to make it work. I'm pretty far on the other end of it now, and while it was certainly NOT easy and there were MANY blessings that enabled me to be home (like my husband having our health insurance and steady jobs), it was all worth it. All my most positive energy goes out to you! =)

Reply by JanetK_CA on 5/8/07 1:49am
Msg #189310

A repeated point....

Many have mentioned benefits and health insurance in passing, but unless you're in a situation like Renee was to get those from a hubby, don't underestimate the potential cost. I'm guessing that having health insurance would be pretty important for you and especially your children, no? I recommend you get a quote of what it would cost you as a self-employed person. COBRA is a bargain if you or any member of your family have any pre-existing conditions for which you want coverage - and that is IF you can get it! You might be shocked at what you find out...

Renee also makes some very good points about the time requirements. It's not as flexible as people might think - and there are more non-paid hours required than most people realize.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide to do.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.