Notary Rotary
This was new
Notary Discussion History

This was new
Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by Ali/IL on 5/25/07 2:47pm
Msg #192020

This was new

I did a signing the borrower was a loan officer.
They wanted copies of what they signed. Not just the normal copies that we leave but, copies with signatures on them. The package was 216 pages long a 1st and 2nd.
I told them that they needed to ask the lender for those. They said I was not going to leave their house till I gave them copies!
I got title company on phone they told me to go to Kinkos. The borrowers said they didn't want that.

Well, I don't have a copier that would copy all that quickly. So, I ended going with the borrower to her job where she copied.

Has anyone had this problem?

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 5/25/07 3:05pm
Msg #192029

No, but I'm not surprised

Some borrowers have been stung in the past and are just about paranoid, and judging by some of the loans I've seen, they have a right to be.
I would definitely request an additional modest fee based on the time it took you to go with the borrower to her job and wait for her to make the copies - maybe an hour???? Somewhere around $10 to $25 depending on how difficult it was. You may not get the additional fee, but it never hurts to ask for it, and most good companies would pay it since you definitely went "above and beyond" here.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/25/07 3:21pm
Msg #192033

Re: This was new - it's called illegal imprisonment in Texas

That's a ridiculous borrower...an LO who was on some kind of a power trip.

How many of you guys out there would have gone with a borrower to her office?

I would not have done it.

Reply by MICarole on 5/25/07 3:26pm
Msg #192034

Maybe she's one of those LO's that cheat people and wanted to make sure it didn't happen to her.

Reply by Becca_FL on 5/25/07 10:03pm
Msg #192094

Nope. It wouldn't have happened with me. I would have called the TC requested that they copy and o/n an executed doc pkg to the brw. If brw didn't have what he wanted he could cancel the loan. I'm an NSA not a copy clerk.

Reply by goodgirl on 5/26/07 1:29pm
Msg #192196

To the borrower, I would have said, "Fine. Your 216 unsigned copies of the docs is laying right here on the table. Start signing."

Reply by Bernice/CA on 5/25/07 3:27pm
Msg #192035

I had a situation where on first visit; bo did not sign docs. Returned the next day after all was corrected and docs were signed. When I presented him with his copy of docs, he said can you wait one moment, I want a copy with my signature, (he had a copier in his home office). Took him 10 minutes to copy full set and I went on my way. Keep in mind, prior to my return arrival he had the complete file emailed to him also.

Reply by PL on 5/25/07 3:29pm
Msg #192036

Sure follow me to:

Then do a Bo and Luke Duke hood slide and split for your next appointment. Of course while you are doing this call the folks who hired you and state that these folks were a bit over demanding and you fled for your safety. Smile

Reply by Pat/IL on 5/25/07 4:18pm
Msg #192053

Re: It's not a ridiculous request (lengthyish)

Refusing to allow the notary to leave may be over the top. But I would certainly not want to be the one who denied a borrower's request for signed copies. On the rare occasions I have been asked to do so, I have found a way to comply. I learned the value of immediate possession of signed copies the hard way. I will tell you the sad story if you are interested. If not, don't read it. Here it comes:

Back in 1991, my (now) wife sought out to buy a new car. Aware of the reputation of car dealers in general at the time, we both went in armed with all the knowledge and savvy we could scrape up. This included at least two books by Charles Givens on how not to get screwed.

All was fine until the finance guy brought up Credit Life insurance, at a cost of $1,000.00. We declined, he insisted that it was a great value, we disagreed and it went on and on until we won (we thought). She proceeded to sign the papers and left with the promise that the finance agreement would arrive shortly in the mail. And and did, but it was not as she had signed. The Credit Life info was typed in after the fact. And, by the time her copy arrived in the mail, the money was gone along with any recourse we might have enjoyed.

The state's attorney didn'care, they had bigger fish to fry. The bank was no help, the money was gone. As a title company employee, I ran a name search on the dealership to find a recent bankruptsy case and later found that the dealerchip was dissolved. It was over 15 years ago, so my memory is somewhat fuzzy on the exact details. But, there you have it essentially.

The point is, we got snookered, hard as we tried to avoid it, and were unable to find satisfaction at the time. Immediate possession of signed copies would have been our proof of the fraud that was perpetrated against my dear (now) wife. I suppose it would be more difficult to alter a signed document on a computer than simply filling in a blank space with a typewriter, but technology enables lots of stuff that still amazes me.

Coincidentally, as an aside, just a few weeks ago I happened to be sitting in the office of a mortgage broker with whom I had worked in the past and we were in the process of getting that business relationship going again. The conversation turned to experiences with fraud and I brought up the above incident. Not being able to remember the name of the dealership, I gave the general location. He asked, was it Rip Off Dodge? (note: name has been changed to protect the guilty rat) I said, I think that's the one (I later confirmed). He said matter-of-factly, "That was my dealership. I owned it." We continued to converse for another hour, all the while I was quoting escalating fees (in a joking manner) for our service. Joking or not, I wanted to jum across his desk and strangle him for the duration of our conversation. But there were witnesses present.

Reply by SueW/Tn on 5/25/07 5:48pm
Msg #192066

"They said I was not going to leave their house till I gave them copies"! Are you kidding me? I had a couple the other night that wanted to compare the signed copies to their copies...we went through them so they could see they were exact dups. You must have had a very flexible schedule that would allow you to spend time running around and I mean that in a nice way because what you did was above and beyond. No way would I be threatened though, nope nope NOPE. They'd have to pack a lunch and I'd give them time to draw a crowd before I unloaded on them. I agree with previous poster, probably one of the rip-off LO's that didn't want to dance to their own tune...now that's scarey!

Reply by Ali/IL on 5/25/07 6:57pm
Msg #192071

One of the borrowers works in a school right behind her house.

Yeah they said I couldn't leave without giving them copies with signatures. The said at title companies they get copies. While I was on phone with title company they could here person on the other side and were yelling at that person while I was trying to talk to them.

At one point I just wanted to take the package and go and just tell them to take it up with their lender. See they had already had problems with the lender.

We come at the end innocent and get the grunt of the problem.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/25/07 7:45pm
Msg #192074

It's too dysfunctional for me...

I don't care what their past was about or why they got to the point of wanting what they did, they were being out of control and should have signed in a title company OR at the woman's office.

The witch knew that's what she was going to demand ahead of time. She knew Ali wasn't coming with a copier tied 'round her neck like an accordian. She was playing a sick game. I recognize the type. People like her get their rocks off being angry and demanding.

Sick.

Reply by sue_pa on 5/26/07 9:05am
Msg #192141

Re: It's too dysfunctional for me...

Thankfully I only have about one power trip borrower a year. I also would not have gone with anyone to copy anything. They would have either waited for a signed copy of they would have signed the "I wish to cancel" line and I'd have been on my way (after a phone call to my client). I've had people ask with a perplexed look about signed copies and I give them my best look back and say something to the effect of ... you choose to sign at home after hours rather than in an office during business hours - you give up some things like the comfort of that nice conference room table and immediate receipt of signed copies for the convenience of me showing up here...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.