Notary Rotary
Yup! Its EOM
Notary Discussion History

Yup! Its EOM
Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by Stamper_WI on 5/25/07 10:30pm
Msg #192096

Yup! Its EOM

Reading all the rants and you know its EOM. I had a cancelation but its on for next week.

Worst thing that happened to me today was a 6 yr old (freshly graduated from kindergarten today) loading a can of silly string in some kind of gun thing.

Picture this.... 6yr old, can of silly string, loan documents. Its my week for small children.

Reply by Becca_FL on 5/25/07 10:34pm
Msg #192098

Re: Yup! Its EOM Zana

>>>Its my week for small children.<<<

Better you than me dear. ;P

Reply by LauriecPA on 5/25/07 10:50pm
Msg #192104

Well, let's see, where should I begin with my tale of woe...I had a reverse this afternoon, I had trouble finding the BO's street b/c the sign was torn down. I called him twice from my car to get help with directions. When I got out of the car, my cell phone must not have been clipped all the way on my purse. After 45 min. into the signing, (this poor man had to sign, not only for himself, he had to sign for his wife w/Alzheimer's as a POA and with her AKA...oh and did I mention he had rheumatoid athritis and his fingers were all twisted every which way?) I realized I was going to be there for a very long time and I'd better call and ask my Mom to let my kids in after school. That's when I realized I didn't have my phone. I excused myself to check my car. Not there. I asked if he'd mind if I borrowed his phone so I could maybe hear it ringing somewhere. Well, someone else answered it and told me I had the wrong #. I called back and someone else answered. When I asked them how they got my phone they said "No Habla Ingles" and hung up on me. I called once more and got a third person! lol These people must have been having a ball with my phone! I called Verizon and they cancelled the phone and the cust. svc. rep. said they were still on the phone when she cut it off. I wonder what they were doing before they found my phone?
So, no more calls for me today, until I get to the phone store. (They weren't able to forward my calls to my home phone.) The poor guy signed for over 3 hours, and then I got to sit in Mem. Day weekend traffic forever, this job ended up costing me money!

Reply by EagleEye/NJ on 5/25/07 11:07pm
Msg #192106

Oh Boy!! I thought I had a bad day because I didn't get my figures or documents until 45 minutes AFTER the closing was supposed to be!!!

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 5/25/07 11:45pm
Msg #192111

Sorry about your miserable experience. For future ........

reference , you might want to check if your state permits a
party signing dox to autorize another, in their presence, (possibly to
include notary) to sign dox on their behalf.
If so , you could have signed for him.
Not sure if that would also work for signing for him in his
capacity of AIF.

Reply by sue_pa on 5/26/07 8:32am
Msg #192135

Re: Sorry about your miserable experience. For future ........

as a 'signing agent' I would never, ever take on the responsibility of signing anything on behalf of a borrower - I also cannot imagine a title company or lender permitting us to sign for the borrower

Reply by jojo_MN on 5/26/07 9:38am
Msg #192149

Re: Sorry about your miserable experience. For future ........

Would you have another notary there to witness you signing the docs? Surely you wouldn't withness your own signature.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/26/07 10:45am
Msg #192163

Re: Sorry about your miserable experience. Jojo ........

**Would you have another notary there to witness you signing the docs? Surely you wouldn't withness your own signature.**

Jojo, don't jump to conclusions about this one. Mn might even have an obscure legal basis for it. Texas does. I read it just the other day in a manual I have on my desk at work...that along with making a mark rather than signing a name, etc. I have a 200 page notebook written by a Texas lawyer for a CLE class which is a treasure trove of information like this.

It's not something that an NSA runs into each day, but ... just because we haven't heard about it through the NSA biz doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Disclaimer: I don't have any education or the authority to allow me to interpret legal information or law....I am not even a certified paralegal.

Reply by jojo_MN on 5/26/07 10:50am
Msg #192165

Wow, I'm going to have to look into this one. Wouldn't it

it very easy for illegal transactions on the notarie's part? Opens up a kinds of questions. Thanks, Brenda.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/26/07 11:00am
Msg #192171

Re: Wow, I'm going to have to look into this one. Wouldn't it

Jojo, the way I see it is that it would be just as easy for a notary to pretend that a fake was signing as the principal as it would be for the notary to write the signature and notarize it as the principal's.

In Texas there seems to be an implied degree of trust in the notary's integrity and an assumption that people are generally honest. That premise was built on the old days...sigh...this too shall pass.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/26/07 11:43am
Msg #192183

Notarizing for one who directs the Notary to sign Florida

For persons w/a Disability: If a person cannot sign a document due to a physical disability, he or she may direct the Notary to sign on his or her behalf. (PS 117.05[14][dl])
Two impartial witnesses must be present...there are other requirements that follow; you must refer to own state's law on this matter.
I have not done one yet, but would definately get as much documentation on witnesses as allowed by law to CMA

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/26/07 6:22pm
Msg #192227

Re: Notarizing for one who directs the Notary -- Texas

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/GV/content/htm/gv.004.00.000406.00.htm

§ 406.0165. SIGNING DOCUMENT FOR INDIVIDUAL WITH
DISABILITY. (a) A notary may sign the name of an individual who is
physically unable to sign or make a mark on a document presented for
notarization if directed to do so by that individual, in the
presence of a witness who has no legal or equitable interest in any
real or personal property that is the subject of, or is affected by,
the document being signed. The notary shall require identification
of the witness in the same manner as from an acknowledging person
under Section 121.005, Civil Practice and Remedies Code.
(b) A notary who signs a document under this section shall
write, beneath the signature, the following or a substantially
similar sentence:
"Signature affixed by notary in the presence of (name of
witness), a disinterested witness, under Section 406.0165,
Government Code."
(c) A signature made under this section is effective as the
signature of the individual on whose behalf the signature was made
for any purpose. A subsequent bona fide purchaser for value may
rely on the signature of the notary as evidence of the individual's
consent to execution of the document.
(d) In this section, "disability" means a physical
impairment that impedes the ability to sign or make a mark on a
document.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.