Notary Rotary
$3.55.. I started my mobile service in 1998 gas was $.99
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by Joe Ewing on 5/8/07 10:42am
Msg #189330

I just saw an expensive internet banner ad by competitor NotaryPublic in my area that travels for free.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 5/8/07 10:50am
Msg #189331

Let's Take it Back Further, Joe...

...my first year in college (Washburn University of Topeka, KS) was 1969. There was a gas war (oil companies actually seemed to compete against one another back then) going on in September of that year & the price per gallon was $0.19.

Reply by jba/fl on 5/8/07 10:55am
Msg #189333

Re: Let's Take it Back Further, Joe...

I got a speeding ticket on the day it was $.11 gal as I was rushing to get in line in St. Louis gas war. 1967 I think. Had both babies in car and that is what got me the ticket. So my savings were cancelled that day.

Reply by Stephanie_CA on 5/8/07 11:07am
Msg #189337

Re: Let's Take it Back Further, Joe...UNBELIEVEABLE! n/m

Reply by janCA on 5/8/07 11:17am
Msg #189339

Dennis, I worked in Topeka in 1970 and I remember all those gas wars up and down Topeka Blvd. I could fill my tank up for three bucks. And everyone had the gas guzzlers back then, unless of course, you owned a VW. I long for those good ol' days.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 5/8/07 11:24am
Msg #189340

I Owned...

...a 55 Chevy 2 door hardtop with 3 speed Hurst shifter on the floor. Wish I still had it!

Reply by PL on 5/8/07 12:49pm
Msg #189361

I believe it was Billy Joel who said:

'Cause the good ole days weren't Always good And tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems"
I am not sure I want to relive 1970, for I am very pleased where 2007 is going. Also not to throw cold water on this look back at the Glory days, but if you run the math on inflation adjusted and look back @ 1970 gas prices and today's prices you'll see we are running at about the same prices. One other thing we can be thankful for is that we don't have the taxes added that our European friends have or there would be open rebellion @ $6.00 plus a gallon.

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 5/8/07 1:00pm
Msg #189364

You are 100% Correct...

...in your inflation assessment. My only point is it seems the "good ole days" were when the oil companies actually competed with each other via gas wars. They all march in lockstep when it comes to pricing today & I'm sure there's a logical explanation for the change, but it makes them appear to be in cahoots with each other. I'm in favor of a free market by the way & would NEVER want the government imposing windfall profit taxes on the oil companies. The dirty little secret is the entity who make out like a bandit with gasoline prices is the government itself.

Reply by PL on 5/8/07 1:14pm
Msg #189371

The Washington state and Federal taxes are

49.5 cents a gallon. There has been talk that Olympia should drop their part a bit during this uptick in gas prices. The cry from our officials is NO and we will not stop the 3 cent increase in July. "Now go back and lay down by your bowl and send us your tax money."
It is hard for me to distinguish who is more evil, Gas companies or politicians. I'll for now throw my lot with gas companies at least they produce something. Smile

Reply by Vince/KS on 5/8/07 2:48pm
Msg #189390

They had gas wars in Fresno, CA in early 70's that would take it all of the way down to $.119 per gallon and then would give you 10X stamps! Was all the way up to $.509 in 1973 when leaving for Denver. Pumped gas for $.329 in Boston area in 1963...

Earliest recall - filling the glass bowl pump at the Conoco refinery in Denver for $.08 per gallon in early 50's. Coin operated pumps...

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 5/8/07 2:06pm
Msg #189384

Back when gas was about two bits/gal, I was making.....

about the same $$/week as I now get for the average re-fi signing.
This was with a business degree from a major university, working
for a fortune 500 company, so it kind of evens out.
BTW, our Pres back then was a Texas rancher, now we have a
Texas oil man/commander guy. Connection????

Reply by Joe Ewing on 5/8/07 4:24pm
Msg #189401

Actually Dennis where I was going with this thread is that when I started my mobile business it cost me $14.85 for a tank of gas. Aside from my cell phone, that was my only expense. Now it costs me $53.40 for the same tank of gas. Signing services are STILL paying $50.

(OT) I was licensed to drive in 1965 and between 1965 and 1968 I had a 53 Chevy (first car), a 4 door 55 Chevy straight 6 with a Hurst 3 speed and a 62 Chevy Nova. During my second year in college and for $200 cash I lucked into a two toned 2 door V8 automatic 56 Chevy Bel Air with 28 thousand miles and old bubble plastic seat covers. After some minor cosmetic restoration such as tires, removing the seat covers, changing the oil and a good hard wax job I was able to sell it for enough cash to buy a new VW. That car would be worth a mint now.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.