Notary Rotary
quick question re appt. times
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2007 Index

Posted by Pierces Notary Services on 5/9/07 2:05pm
Msg #189555

I got a call today for an appt at 4:30 - I work til 5:00 so I told them I'd be available at 5:30 - they said thanks but we will have to keep calling until we find someone. Do any of you take the signing and just adjust the time with the borrower? I lose many that way sometimes. Obviously if they call me for a morning signing or early afternoon I wouldn't try but.

Reply by AR_razormac on 5/9/07 2:15pm
Msg #189558

You could just take it and try to change the appt with the bo however if they have already been told the closing will be on a certian date and time they may have already made arrangements for the original time. Do you like it when someone makes an appointment with you and a third party wants to change it the day before? When you were told they would work around your schedule. Its better bussiness to let go of the ones you know you cannot do, and take the ones that you are able, or have your day job be more fexible (good luck with that one). JMO

Reply by jba/fl on 5/9/07 2:18pm
Msg #189560

I sent you pm n/m

Reply by Elizabeth Soliday on 5/9/07 3:21pm
Msg #189563

I was losing a lot of work this way too. I started accepting the appointments and the majority of the borrowers were either flexible or didn't even know the time in the first place.

I read an article by Ben Stein called "The Art of (Killing) the Deal", and I keep it by my desk.(http://finance.yahoo.com/columnist/article/yourlife/10857?p=1) accessed on 10/16/06

It says:

"If you find yourself doing or believing any of the following naughty things, stop and have another think:

1. You're always more important in every way than your clients and customers. Compared with you, the customer and client are always second best. You're a first class citizen. Your clients and customers are peons.

2. Your time is always more important in every way than the time of your clients and customers. They have to accomodate you and your schedule, always and everywhere.

Your time is precious -- especially your leisure time. Your customers' time is limitless and worthless. Don't ever even think of changing your schedule to accomodate the people who pay your salary."

It really hit home for me because I was guilty. I think the best thing to do is keep the article in mind and be accomodating sometimes and allowing the other end to be flexible when they can. If you have to take off work early to make the 4:30 appointment, you could make sure you can leave first, then ask the borrowers if they could sign at 5:30. If they have to do it at 4:30, then you will be covered. That's kind of how I work.

Reply by BetsyMI on 5/9/07 4:30pm
Msg #189573

I had one the other day at 730pm, which is really later than I like to work. I accepted it though, and would have done it at 730pm. However when I called the borrower to confirm, I said "Is 730pm the soonest you can make it?". She replied that she wasn't the one that set that time, she wasn't happy with the time, and she'd LOVE to meet me as early as 530pm. Fortunately I got the docs at about 4pm so it worked out for both me and the borrower.

I figure it doesn't hurt to ask, and I usually say that I am perfectly fine doing it at the pre-arranged time if their schedule is not flexible.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 5/9/07 4:37pm
Msg #189574

Keep in mind

that an appointment may have been set so that the package could be dropped same day. The lender/title may need the package back the following day (especially if it isn't a refi) and that's the reason the time was set as it was.

Reply by LJ on 5/9/07 4:49pm
Msg #189576

Re: Keep in mind

The other side: I changed an apt by 15 minutes, yes 15 minutes and got called from the company and told me that found someone else. The borrower is the one who called them and told them I wanted it moved 15 minutes earlier. They were furious with me for changing it. Other times I find the borrowers are very flexible with their times. Especially at EOM.

Reply by MelissaCT on 5/9/07 5:09pm
Msg #189577

If it's a matter of 15 minutes

just show up 15 minutes early to the appointment.

Reply by LJ on 5/9/07 7:24pm
Msg #189591

Re: If it's a matter of 15 minutes

I actually didn't change the time by 15 minutes. When I called to confirm, it was a RM with an elderly lady. I just knew by talking with her that we were going to need extra time. I told her I would be there about 15 minutes early. She called the company and told them that and that's when they called furious with me. I tried to explain it to them, but they wouldn't hear of it. When they told me they were going to find someone else, I asked them not too because the lady was already confused on who I was, and now someone else would be coming. This company is the pits and I really felt sorry for the lady. They just didn't put her best interest in mind on this one.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/9/07 8:32pm
Msg #189598

LJ In the words of Bob...you only had to deal with the

jack-donkeys a few minutes. After you were through with them showing their jack-donkey behinds they will unfortunately remain in that state the rest of their sad lives.

Take some consolation in that and smile it off.

Reply by MelissaCT on 5/9/07 9:41pm
Msg #189607

Clarification

makes all the difference. I was trying to figure out why 15 min would be a deal-breaker.

Reply by MelissaCT on 5/9/07 5:14pm
Msg #189578

I do the same as you

and tell the scheduler that I'm unavailable at X time but can accomodate Y. Sometimes, it's not flexible, but often I'm told that whatever I can work out with the borrower is fine with them. I'm always up-front about the scheduling, though. I do refer the caller to another notary that I network with, if there isn't any wiggle room.

I'd rather lose a job by being honest than anger a borrower & company by accepting an appointment time that I cannot meet. The former ensures you will get another chance in the future, the latter does not.

Reply by Raimond on 5/9/07 8:36pm
Msg #189602

Itn't is odd, we as the SA's do so much to try and keep everyone happy.
The BO, the LO, the SS. And in the end, we sit and wait for docs to arrive so we can rush to make the appt time.

Reply by Ndwa on 5/9/07 9:43pm
Msg #189608

Since you do work another job, it's expected that you can't accept signing during your day job. You must first know if you can change or cancel your plans before asking the borrowers to change theirs. Example, I can cancel my 4:30 dentist appointment if the borrower can't do at 5:30.

I take my kids to school in the morning and have to turn down a signing from one of my favorite TC for 9:00AM tomorrow at a local bank. I can make it there by 9:15, but didn't even bother to ask.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.