Notary Rotary
Reverse Mortgage Counselor Training
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2008 Index

Posted by Leon_CO on 2/13/08 12:17pm
Msg #235141

Notary Signing Agents do not need to be trained as Reverse Mortgage counselors. It is NOT our role to give counseling or advice to the borrower. And besides, they have already received counseling.

Nevertheless, it's a good idea to undergo the training. The knowledge that you will gain from it is priceless. It goes far deeper than any other kind of Reverse Mortgage training that you can receive. After all, if you know enough about Reverse Mortgages to counsel someone else, you've acquired a lot of knowledge.

It goes into more than just the counseling aspect. You will learn about various alternatives to Reverse Mortgages, government programs, etc.. And you will learn how to use the Reverse Mortgage software (Home Equity Conversion Mortgages calculator).

The training that I took is all online, and is based on the same 2-day live seminars for HECM Counselors. There are a total of 19 chapters, as well as audio from Ken Scholen and Bronwyn Belling -- 2 well-renowned experts in the field of Reverse Mortgages. It includes a training manual that you can download, along with other printed materials, such as the AARP booklet: Homemade Money. You can also download the software used by Reverse Mortgage counselors.

I spent more than 2 days on the material (actually more than a week) because it is so in depth. And I'm sure that I will go back to it repeatedly to refresh my knowledge.

As I said, Reverse Mortgage counselor training is not necessary for Notary Signing Agents. But it's a good idea, because with this training you will have a much greater understanding of Reverse Mortgages, and of the documents in a Reverse Mortgage loan package. It's very beneficial. You will have the background knowledge to enhance your career in many ways, or set off on a new career path.

Good luck.

Reply by Lisa/Tx on 2/14/08 12:57am
Msg #235228

can you tell me what online site you used to get this reverse mortgage counseling? I would be interested in it also. Thank you!

Reply by Leon_CO on 2/14/08 6:06am
Msg #235236

>> can you tell me what online site you used to get this reverse mortgage counseling? <<

There are a few sites (training, software, ...). I put links to everything on my website. Do a search on: 'reverse mortgage training'. There is a special page: 'Reverse Mortgage Training for Notary Signing Agents'. It has links, articles, and book recommendations.

Good luck.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 2/14/08 1:27am
Msg #235230

I'd really like to have the info on where / how ...

... the training is offered! Please either send a Private Message or send email.

Thank you!

Reply by janCA on 2/14/08 12:05pm
Msg #235265

Re: I'd really like to have the info on where / how ...

Here's one I perused yesterday. Good info.

http://www.hecmresources.org/resources/study-manual.pdf

Reply by MistarellaFL on 2/14/08 12:42pm
Msg #235279

And if you are willing to spend $9.95

Brenda from TX has an exceptional e-book for sale, that is geared directly for the notary signer. Click on her profile for the web address.
I learned alot from that book, and publicly thank her for it!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.