Notary Rotary
21st Century Legal Services
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Frances Kany on 8/6/09 12:58pm
Msg #298951

I received a call from this company asking me to do a "Remodification". I accepted and then read over the paperwork. It looked fishy to me so I went onto Notary Rotary and checked on this company. This is a complete Scam they are working. I discussed this with another notary that is a friend of mine and she called National Notary Association. They confirmed it was a complete scam. I called the customer and warned her. My friend also got a call from this company and she warned her customer also.

I don't know how they are getting away with this but my friend lives in a small town and is going to have an article published in her paper. She also saw this profiled on our local television show.

Has anyone else dealt with this company before? What experience have you had? Did you go through with it? Did you get paid for your service?

Reply by jonpa on 8/6/09 1:10pm
Msg #298958

About 3 months ago I got a call from 21st Century asking me to do a load mod in my area. After talking to the rep for about 5 minutes she was willing to offer me 2 more signings that were @ 3 hours each way, she told me that she would pay me $300.00 each. I thought to my self that this company was either a fraud or scam to pay that much. I told the rep, I had to check to see if I was available those days. I checked here on Notary Rotary, The BBB, and with the people that I was signing for. I heard nothing but bad things. People lost their homes because of 21st Century and they were not getting their money back. When I talked to the customers, they all said that 21st called them and were very pushy. I called 21st back a declined all work and asked them never to contact me again. I still get a call from them about once a month.
AVOID this company no matter what they try to tell you.
I also read that they don't want to pay their Notaries.
Good Luck.

Reply by Jess/CT on 8/6/09 1:11pm
Msg #298961

Use the orange search button to search for past discuss. n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 8/6/09 1:15pm
Msg #298964

Lots of info here on them--use orange search button. These are NOT loan mods. VA has a law effective July 1 making this kind of business illegal. I know it's been reported here that many states have laws against it.

Reply by bhb/VA on 8/6/09 1:36pm
Msg #298972

Just because it is illegal here in Va has not stopped 21st Century from calling...

Reply by MW/VA on 8/6/09 4:32pm
Msg #299042

It won't stop them from calling or operating for that matter. What it will do is give the law something to enforce against these companies. They can't break the law if there isn't one to break. We now have one.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 8/6/09 1:38pm
Msg #298973

Frances, the *N* told you it was a complete scam?

Did you get a name from the company that told you this other company was a scam? Because I don't think that they would step out on that limb. I am also kind of surprised that you and your friend would call somebody else's customer and tell them that a scam was being pulled on them.

You say you are using this website as your basis for this charge and have put your name on it calling them a scam. I hope you have your proof together just in case the company decides that you've maligned them and chased off their customer, using what you found on a website.

Reply by Cari on 8/6/09 2:35pm
Msg #298994

What is with you Phillip! You seem to be...

on the defensive for this company...as previously noted in another 21st Century post here recently.......are you the company's gustapo?! seriously....and again, I seriously doubt they will go after any NSA's on this forum for slander...there's wayyyy too much evidence against them....

Reply by Becca_FL on 8/6/09 2:42pm
Msg #298999

My thoughts too, Philip, and I sure wouldn't post on this...

forum or any other forum if I did something like this NSA did. We know "they" read here and no matter how big of a ripoff this operation *seems* to be, as an NSA you have no right to be judge, jury and executioner. If people are dumb enough to fall for this scam with so much media coverage of late, they get what they deserve.

I'm not sticking up for 21st, just calling it like I see it.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 8/6/09 2:58pm
Msg #299008

Philip's offering some WISE advise here! n/m

Reply by Martha Arrington on 8/6/09 3:59pm
Msg #299033

Re: Frances, the *N* told you it was a complete scam?

National Notary Association confirmed this morning that it was a scam. If you are a member of the National Notary Association then I suggest you give them a call and verify this as well.

Reply by Notary/Guy on 8/6/09 2:29pm
Msg #298989

7/28/2009 PIGS....... FFFFF Rating with BBB CA
7/28/2009 NON-PAYERS FL
7/27/2009 Company seems not legitiment. Pays with BAD CHECK. Don't work for them EVER. LA
7/18/2009 no pay rip off NJ
7/16/2009 never received payment for services nor a return phone call about lack of pmt VA
7/11/2009 After working for them I found out they are not even a legal co. IL
7/7/2009 Very slow to ay but have gotten quick results when talking with contact. LA
7/6/2009 They do not pay nor do they return phone calls WA
7/3/2009 SCAMMERS!! BEWARE OF THEM!! DO NOT WORK FOR THEM!! FL
6/29/2009 Got paid in plenty of time, only their check bounced TWICE. MI
6/26/2009 Googled them...result NG! Appear to be scammers. Won't accept work again. NY
6/25/2009 Paid in ten days with a Rubber Check. NC
6/25/2009 Fake website given to borrower- no docs sent to them No return calls to me TX
6/24/2009 FRAUD- Pays with Bad checks then ignores you. I am contacting IC3 and customers NC
6/23/2009 NOTARY BEWARE-WILL NOT PAY YOU FOR CLOSINGS NC
6/23/2009 I was partially paid for a signing, they never return calls or follow through IA
6/22/2009 called me for appt, when I called back they couldn't find it, disorganized AZ
6/20/2009 I was notified by my bank the last check I received from them $460 bounced NC
6/18/2009 I was uncomfortable. Now the first check from them NSF. WI
6/13/2009 The paid me rin one week and I didn't have to notarize a single doc. TX
6/11/2009 They paid me even after client did not use them, concerned with their ethics WI
5/7/2009 Did mod app 1/2/09-Client called me 5/1 still no mod and no return call from 21s TN
5/3/2009 Took too long to get paid, bad communication with their clients & customers! AL
4/18/2009 Paid in 4 days! They explained their past trouble, I did it, they came through. VA
4/17/2009 Warning: if client backs out after you did ur job- they will NOT pay anything. TX
4/15/2009 They were nice to me,they paid me on time FL
4/7/2009 No confirmation sent-no record of signers' name or apt that was sceduled. FL
4/6/2009 I believe this company is scamming borrowers. Don't accept signings. NC
4/5/2009 Poor communication, unorganized FL
4/3/2009 Made good on bounced check plus my bank fee. AL
4/1/2009 Never received confirmation for signing.No calls.Then docs arrived today!NO way! HI
3/27/2009 Told client not to pay mortgage. Not to fill out forms just sign them . No More! WI
3/17/2009 pays on time, really, really hard to work with. doesn't return calls, bad comm. WA
3/17/2009 Never can get their act together & Borrowers must give ck or u do not get paid. NJ
3/9/2009 Never received confirmation for accepted signing...very unprofessional! MO
3/6/2009 i personally think they rip off their "borrowers". won't EVER work for them TX
2/27/2009 Very questionable. Check them out on the BBB website NY
2/24/2009 Very fast pay, professional. OK
2/21/2009 company wants notary to represent self as customer service rep for the company. MI
2/18/2009 I never had a problem getting paid from them. NC
2/5/2009 Paid me within 18 days MA
2/4/2009 I like working with this company the job is easy and they pay on time CA
1/30/2009 I think they're shady, couldn't tell the client that I'm a Notary. CA
1/26/2009 http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre42.shtm VA
1/24/2009 They gave wrong address for job!! and now 45 days past due for my invoice. FL
1/2/2009 I have been contacted by this company and have decided not to accept any assignm TN
12/29/2008 Booked me for appt, but never sent confirm as promised - seem very disorganized

Reply by Cari on 8/6/09 2:31pm
Msg #298991

i'm soooo sick of this company being mentioned

on just about every other post! Why are they still around? Why hasn't some governmental authority heard our pleas already to have them closed down and the owner arrested!

Reply by Philip Johnson on 8/6/09 2:54pm
Msg #299004

By the way it's Gestapo, and your post

describes the way they worked to a tee. Whatever happened to innocent till proven guilty? I think that still holds true in the other 49 states, I can't speak for you Cari or the state of Illinois.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 8/6/09 2:57pm
Msg #299005

Re: By the way it's Gestapo, and your post

No one in the State of IL wants to hear about 21st Century. I called every office I could think of and unless I am the victim, there is nothing that can be done. That is also what my attorney told me yesterday. Yes, its a scam but the actual victims have to file the complaint and won't do anything until many complaints are made.

Reply by Shoshana Roller on 8/6/09 3:22pm
Msg #299023

This company has been debated Ad Nauseum! WHO CARES???

Has anyone ever heard of Caveat Emptor? If you don't know the phrase look it up! We are not supposed to advise the borrower on whether or not this is a scam. If they don't do their homework after all the bad press on loan mods then they must be brain dead.
We are not the loan mod police.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/6/09 4:42pm
Msg #299048

Re: This company has been debated Ad Nauseum! WHO CARES???

This situation is a very different animal than our usual "don't give legal or financial advice". That is there to prevent us from blowing a loan, but offering an opinion that they could get a better rate, lower closing costs, etc. At the closing table we are bound by law to be an impartial third party--we don't represent the lender or the borrower.
With these "loan mod apps" we are being asked to be an accomplice to something that is potentially illegal. As a notary we are also bound by our notary laws not to participate in an illegal activity.
We also have a personal choice not to participate in something that we find morally or ethically offensive.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 8/6/09 4:59pm
Msg #299052

Re: This company has been debated Ad Nauseum! WHO CARES???

We are obligated to report suspected fraud. I am no attorney but the following of their directive, collecting the checks seems to be party to it. You receive compensation for your actions, knowing it is illegal in your state makes you party to it.
I just say no.

Reply by John Schenk on 8/6/09 10:30pm
Msg #299093

I think the sad thing about this is that...

some of these companies "MAY" be legitimate, and actually help these folks. The dilemma is that I have no idea which are truly legitimate, and which ones aren't, so I avoid doing any signings for any of them.

We can rant and rave all we want, but these deals are still getting done by someone. There's a lot of notaries on this forum, but there's a lot of notaries that have never seen this forum. There are notaries that will backdate docs. There are notaries that will screw up something on every signing that they do, but they still get called in areas where there are limited SAs to call, and the companies need a closing done. It's just one of those facts we must accept, I believe.

Most folks that come to this situation would be better off contacting a bankruptcy attorney and filing a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, IMO. They can work out a better payment plan, and save their house, in many cases. That's not always true, but the money, I think, is better spent there than pissing it off on this modification crap. When someone needs one of these "remodification" deals, they usually have other debt that is also in the picture. Those companies do nothing for them in working out the other debt at all. so most of them still have a problem after blowing their last bucks just to keep their home.

There's so many layoffs and cutbacks of the workforce that people that were making big bucks find themselves in a formidable situation that they absolutely can not pay their bills. No job, no pay. It's a very difficult time in our economy. I just can't do these "remodification" deals when I know there is a better solution out there. I did ONE. Made me feel sick. He's now in Chapter 13 and much better off, in my Lay opinion.

JJ

Reply by madhatter on 8/14/09 1:07pm
Msg #300025

I did a loan modification for this company in July and August and have not been paid for either as of yet. Have called numerous times and was sent to vm. I then contacted Ozzie at 909.519.8458 and he assured me that he would get this paid today. That will remain to be seen. Passing on his phone # for your use. Also I faxed my invoice to this # 909.944.2794. I also told him that no one else was getting paid and felt that we had all been scammed and of course he denied. If anyone has NOT been paid from 21st Century, call Ozzie and then fax your invoice and let's see if this works. Start calling him now. Don't let him or them get by without paying us for our services. Good luck!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.