Notary Rotary
21st Century - new tactic...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by NewPhoenix on 8/7/09 6:24pm
Msg #299195

Got home late last night and found an email with files attached from them. I only had two calls on my cell yesterday so I know I did not have a call from them (and I would have remembered turning them down). I replied to the email asking why did they send it, I do not do signings for them. I thought that was the end of it and forgot about it.

Then in the middle of a signing this afternoon I get a call on my cell from a "borrower". "You were supposed to be here at 11:00 why didn't you show up?". OMG did I forget an appointment??? Horrors! What is your name, I asked. She said the name which then I recognized from the unwelcome documents. I told her that I had emailed the company declining the "assignment", that I do not do signing for that company (hint hint but not too obvious). She was upset that she "waited" for me.

So is this their new method? Send the documents without contacting first to make you think that you had accepted it? And then give the "borrower" YOUR phone number so they try to make you feel "guilty" if you don't show up???

Any others have this happen yet? Comments?

Reply by CopperheadVA on 8/7/09 6:31pm
Msg #299196

Wow - that's crazy! I do think someone else posted a few days ago that they received unsolicited docs from 21st Century in their e-mail. The poster turned the job back, and I don't remember reading anything about the borrower calling him asking why he was late for the appt. Again, just crazy! This company needs to be stopped!

Was there any personal info about the borrower on the docs they sent you?

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 8/7/09 6:55pm
Msg #299199

Contact you state AG. They are currently being investigated here according to Calif's AG. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Reply by NewPhoenix on 8/7/09 8:47pm
Msg #299210

Actually the information was NOT filled out so it would have meant about two hours to sit there while the "borrowers" gather all the information together and wrote it on the forms (15 pages of stuff!). Not that I would do it anyway lol. I thought they had quit calling me two months ago.

I don't know if the Ohio AG has anything going on them but maybe someone else here does. That is a good idea I could check on Monday if no one else chimes in here over the weekend.

Oh BTW. The "package" ended with five pages of news releases from news.yahoo.com, the Washington Times, and Bloomberg.com with titles referring to Obama 75 Billion dollar lifeline to Homeowners, $350 Billion to help Homeowners, and believe it or not Bush signs Measure for Homeowners.

I guess they are trying to create false credibility for their actions with the homeowners!

Reply by John_NorCal on 8/7/09 9:14pm
Msg #299212

Personnally, I think if I were in the position of a borrower calling me under these circumstances, I would work in a suggestion that they make an inquiry from the BBB or some regulatory agency about that company.

Reply by NewPhoenix on 8/7/09 9:35pm
Msg #299215

Yes I kind of wanted to do that but I was on the spot in front of two other borrowers and 1) I didn't want to worry them or get into any mention of questionable operations in front of them, 2) I wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible and 3) the caller was already upset "that I did not show up" so I could not put her off further by just saying I would call her "later". So I just told her the quick straight truth (that I don't do signings for "that company" and that I had emailed them as such). That should have told her I was not involved in the situation, that 21st would have to take care of it, and hopefully raise some question in her mind as to why I would refuse?

Reply by MikeC/NY on 8/7/09 9:47pm
Msg #299217

Although I've seen at least one other post recently stating basically the same thing - docs show up unannounced - it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm not doubting what you say happened, but why would they do this? It's the equivalent of throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks...

It almost sounds like they're in desperation mode - get as many to sign up for their scam any way they can NOW, because the various state AGs are about to shut them down.

Jail time would be the least offensive punishment I could think of for these people...

Reply by MW/VA on 8/7/09 9:59pm
Msg #299220

You said, "It's the equivalent of throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks...."
IMO that is their business model--seems that their whole operation runs on that exact principle.

Reply by John Schenk on 8/7/09 10:29pm
Msg #299226

That would be me. They just sent me their junk unsolicited. It's INSANE! You write them back and they don't respond. Of course what can they say? We was just hopin! LOL Nobody called me though. It would really piss me off if they gave out my phone number and one of these people thought I just didn't show up. THAT would inflame me, and make me want to burn these folks.

JJ

Although I've seen at least one other post recently stating basically the same thing - docs show up unannounced - it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm not doubting what you say happened, but why would they do this? It's the equivalent of throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks...

It almost sounds like they're in desperation mode - get as many to sign up for their scam any way they can NOW, because the various state AGs are about to shut them down.

Jail time would be the least offensive punishment I could think of for these people...

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/8/09 9:55am
Msg #299264

You know..if this IS their new tactic to "git 'er done"

They're not really very smart...they're actually quite foolish...if they're determined to keep trying to do this business, and had half a brain about them, they'd just send the docs to the borrowers with an instruction letter and return shipping envelope....skip the middleman (us).

Can you say "DUH"??

Reply by 101livescan on 8/7/09 11:19pm
Msg #299233

What have they got to lose? A notary may very well have never heard of them and take the assignment. In this way, they don't have to hear us tell them we won't work for them because they have no ethics!

Reply by Lucy/IL on 8/7/09 11:24pm
Msg #299234

The had called me one week and asked me to do a job on that Fri. I said yes but never did receive anything, not even a confirmation so I assumed it was not happening. Then the following week around Wed. I was at another signing apt. when they called and wanted to know why I wasn't at their job. I told her I never received any confirmation and that it was to be last Fri, she got all stumbled. When I got home there were the docs on the computer. I did the job the next day, modification loan papers. Then the check has bounced and no repayment. They keep calling and begging me to do more jobs in my area but I won't. They still owe me money. I got burned once but won't do it again by the same people.

Reply by thnotary_NY on 8/8/09 5:49am
Msg #299240

It should have raised a little doubt if not a red flag the first time. No confirmation, no docs, no call back (when you didn't show?), until a week later.

Reply by Lucy/IL on 8/8/09 1:20pm
Msg #299310

It should have. It was one of those "live and learn" experiences.

Reply by Lucy/IL on 8/8/09 1:42pm
Msg #299317

Re: 21st Century

After doing 1 job for them and then finding out about this company I really wanted to call the lady(customer) and tell her to put stop payments on her checks she sent to them. Let her know they are frauds! Can we do that?? She is a older lady, widowed and hurting for money.
I got ripped off for very little cash but she lost alot. Feel so bad for her!

Reply by Cari on 8/8/09 1:45pm
Msg #299318

OH LUCY! NOOO...please from now on promise to

do your research on this forum using the orange SEARCH BUTTON! But we've ALL been burned by one company in this biz.

I believe it is safe to label this company as the absolute WORSE and truly needs to be closed down permanently!

I'D LIKE TO CREATE A HUGE BANNER SAYING.....

HOMEOWNERS ****BEWARE***** NOTARIES BEWARE*****.....21ST CENTURY LEGAL SERVICES IS NOT A LEGAL SERVICE AND WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND YOUR HOME....SO RUN AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.....THEY ARE THE PERFECT EXAMPLES OF SCAM ARTISTS!

MAYBE I'LL PUT IN A HUGE WEBPAGE...hmmmm

Reply by Lucy/IL on 8/8/09 2:25pm
Msg #299321

Re: OK

Ok. I just feel so guilty no calling this lady to let her know they are bad! She was so nice to me that day.
So what do you do when you are out of the house and get a call from a co. you aren't familiar with on your cell phone and they need a job done that day?

Reply by Cari on 8/8/09 3:50pm
Msg #299330

WAIT...and check the company out on NotRot...

OR have a list of GOOD COMPANIES on your person AT ALL TIME...it will save you a bunch of heartache in the long run...

Reply by CF on 8/9/09 11:14am
Msg #299363

Lucy/IL- you can accept the order...

get home check it out on here and if there are good reviews then you are set. If not call back and give the order back to them. I have done it many time. I could care less about the company...if they are not going to pay me for my services- I have no problems doing it. That is their problem. If more and more Notaries started doing this..some of these companies would be hurting. There are some people that say..."I would never give back an order...it is my word...I said I would do it" That is a bunch of BS...I perform services in order to be paid. You are a business owner....you make the decisions!!!! You do not owe anyone anything!!! Put yourself first- that is the only way you will make it in this business!!!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.