Notary Rotary
2-hour signing, ARGHH!
Notary Discussion History

2-hour signing, ARGHH!
Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 8/12/09 4:38pm
Msg #299640

2-hour signing, ARGHH!

The other day I accepted a purchase loan escrow signing...at the borrower's house. She made me turn the pages with her as I presented each page of the document package, using her set of documents. Recently widowed, 79 years of age retired school teacher, doesn't trust any one. It's a good thing I didn't take any short cuts, if you get my drift.

Got through it, I say to self, "Self, this is for all those 20 minute gigs you've been so lucky to have so far in your signing career." Every once in a while you gotta pay the piper.

I get a call yesterday, "can you go back, we forgot to send you the warranty deed, escrow instructions and some lender due diligence documents for Federal Bank examiners."

Okay, but it's gotta go better than 2 hours, I just don't have the time. This morning it took 45 minutes to get 12 pages signed, and I really was ready to tear out my hair.

Lately, I'm getting more and more lender and escrow errors, omissions, that require a return trip. If it doesn't take 45 minutes, it's not a bad gig. I kind of felt redeemed as I billed as much for the second trip as the first.

So, I'm realizing that I have to do more quality control and make sure that all the critical documents are in the package and don't count on the lender or escrow to do that. One BofA package didn't have signature affidavits. Required a second trip to the borrower's favorite restaurant. Two complimentary appetizer and glass of wine treats as the borrower was so grateful I could come to him while he dined.

Reply by rengel/CA on 8/12/09 4:46pm
Msg #299641

I'm getting more docs that were 'forgotten' in the first package.
One time it was 30 days later!!! But as long as they pay me, I'm okay with that! I just feel sorry for the borrowers.
My .02

Reply by Linda Juenger on 8/12/09 5:16pm
Msg #299643

Had one yesterday that I know was missing a doc (didn't realize it though till I got there). It is the escrow disclosure. There was also not a 1st payment letter breaking down the payment. I had nothing to show the borrower what her "total" payment was. I only had a Note to show the P&I. When I called, they initially told me that I must not have printed it. Sounded like a standard answer to a dumb notary's question, right?. When I questioned her further, she then said that this is state specific and if the lender wanted, it would have been there. I didn't even look for it before I went because this is the first time I've seen in 4 years that this lender even does escrow. I've never seen it with this lender.
Don't let them make you think it is your fault when its not. I will own up and do everything in my power to correct anything that I do, but when they try and get you to believe it possibly could be your fault, that stinks on their part.

Reply by CF on 8/12/09 5:23pm
Msg #299644

They have to prove to me that I made the mistake! n/m

Reply by JanetLA on 8/12/09 5:47pm
Msg #299645

What shortcuts would you be worried about? I am not sure I

know what it meant when you said " It's a good thing I didn't take any short cuts, if you get my drift."

Reply by Art_MD on 8/12/09 5:55pm
Msg #299647

Re: What shortcuts would you be worried about? I am not sure I

If you call this a shortcut-

1. "This is the DOT giving the lender a $XXX lien on your property. payable in fulll in 15 years The next 15 pages are legalese protecting the lender and not the borrower"....skip to signature page.

Reply by sue_pa on 8/12/09 7:38pm
Msg #299651

Re: What shortcuts would you be worried about? I am not sure I

I think she means w/the copies ... all 4 pagesof the W-9, the empty real estate tax pages, etc.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 8/12/09 7:38pm
Msg #299652

You neglected to say that "If you don't pay them ...

they will come and take eveything but your goldfish. "

Reply by MW/VA on 8/12/09 8:50pm
Msg #299661

Re: You neglected to say that "If you don't pay them ...

Very funny. I might need to add that phrase to my script.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/12/09 8:35pm
Msg #299658

My sympathies! I had a similar one a couple of months ago, except in my case the lady was the elderly widow of an attorney. She kept saying "My husband always said..." and was convinced that all involved parties were crooks and that they were trying to cheat her. [Kinda tough thing to counter these days, although I know that's not true of everyone! But I managed to just smile and not respond...] I can just imagine what their dinner conversation must have been like! Smile She actually questioned some of the boiler plate language in the DOT! And kept asking me "What does this mean?" And of course I kept repeating that I wasn't an attorney, but she could consult one during her rescission period, etc. If I didn't know better, I would have thought it was a test...

Reply by John Schenk on 8/12/09 9:01pm
Msg #299665

There's always going to be a horror closing at times

The site is fraught with such occasions, and I've related some of mine. Never know when it's going to happen, but you KNOW that it WILL. The in and outs in 20-40 minutes, as you expected, help make up for the nightmares, but once in a while...somebody is just gonna screw up our day. LOL Just comes with the territory, but I enjoy reading about the closings from hell, knowing that my next one is around the corner somewhere. It's inevitable that it WILL happen...just gotta pray it doesn't happen often. Some of them are actually kind of funny, even when they take a long time, as long as you're not stacked up. It's usually an elderly couple, or individual, that it happens with. I've been told some pretty good stories in these situations. You just gotta be laid back and go with the flow. Life is a lot easier that way, and the job more rewarding.

Now a lawyer's wife...you gotta expect trouble there, young or elderly! LOL No doubt she could have told you some great stories.

JJ

Reply by Kay/IL on 8/13/09 5:10am
Msg #299688

Re: There's always going to be a horror closing at times

Or how about a closing where you have a CPA and librarian as the borrowers? Had one of those about 2 months ago. The CPA had all the figures broken down and laid out before I even arrived to the closing. It got to the point where there was a question about $20.00 overage (cannot recall whether it involved an interest/per diem payment on a payoff or overnight fee but we figured it out). The librarian was scrutinizing the fine print. Thank goodness the loan officer was available to answer questions. And what made it even worse was the closing package was on the light side (about 70 pages). It took 3 hours to complete. As another poster mentioned, I guess once in a while, you must make up for those 125-150 page packages that you can complete in 30 - 60 minutes

At least they were a pleasant couple and the closing was a very short drive from where I lived.

Reply by 101livescan on 8/12/09 8:52pm
Msg #299662

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR FEEDBACK....happy to know it's not just me....when I say I'm glad I didn't take any shortcuts, other than disclosres which I do copy, I'm thinking W9s, 4506Ts, extra copies of DOT, NOTE, INTERVIVOS TRUST Acknowledgment, RIDERS (sometimes there are two), the Insurance for DISABILITY, which NO ONE takes, tax statement (for escrow). I stand at the copy machien and say, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU NOT!

Reply by Jim/AL on 8/12/09 10:11pm
Msg #299674

stand at the copier and say, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU NOT,lmao n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.