Notary Rotary
Attachments: Advice
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Kristie Sotelo on 8/25/09 8:10pm
Msg #301655

I have been asked lately to notarize a lot of documents, where the notarial wording was not on the document itself. In the case, basic 101, I would attach the necessary Jurat or Acknowledgement per the client. However, I am unclear as to if I need to sign / stamp / write on the original document to indicate that "see attached". What is proper procedure in these cases?

Reply by Cam/CA on 8/25/09 9:53pm
Msg #301679

If there is room on the document you could stamp it with an ack or jurat stamp if you have one, otherwise you would attach a loose certificate. The certificate should have the optional information that you fill in that ties it to the certificate to the document. As a rule, you would not write or stamp "see attached CA certificate" unless there was notarial wording on the document that is not CA compliant. Hope this helps.

Reply by Kristie Sotelo on 8/26/09 1:10am
Msg #301697

Thanks! To be clear (because I have to do some tomorrow), the original document remains untouched my me. I just notarize a loose certificate and give it to them to attach (staple or clip?)?

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/26/09 2:16am
Msg #301700

Not exactly...

I agree with Cam. If there is any notarial wording on the existing document, I line through it and initial (unless it's a Provident package). If it's a jurat and I can put my stamp on the same page, that's all I do. However, if I have to attach a loose certificate of either type, I will also write in something like "see attached certificate" near the notarial wording that I'm crossing out. (Over the years, the phrase I write has gotten shorter... Wink)

I try to do as much as I can to tie the two together by including additional information, like doc dates, loan or escrow numbers, number of pages on the document, etc. I wouldn't use staples in a loan doc package because they are likely to end up getting scanned and staples may not be detected. That can create a nightmare for a number of people. Same with paper clips. They're just going to be removed anyway.

Reply by PAW on 8/26/09 7:51am
Msg #301706

If a document that requires notarization of the signatures does not have the appropriate certificate pre-printed and one is attached, I always write "Acknowledgment (or jurat) notarial certificate attached" on the signature page. Then attach (staple) the certificate (full page, same size as the original document) to the signature page of the original document. The certificates that I use include the "extra" information so the certificate is easily tied to the intended original document.

Reply by SharonMN on 8/26/09 12:26pm
Msg #301754

I don't write on the document, but on my loose certificate, I write something like "This acknowledgement is attached to a Survey Affidavit dated 8/26/2009." I do this whenever the certificate is on a page by itself (even if provided by the lender/title/signer), unless the certificate has one of those little preprinted footers at the bottom saying which document it belongs to.

Reply by Kristie Sotelo on 8/26/09 4:19pm
Msg #301788

Thanks for the advice. The forms I need to notarize for client tomorrow are 1)Passport Application and 2)Application for Power Bill / DWP. Neither of which I can see why they need notarization. And neither will have notarial wording on the document itself (I assume).

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.