Notary Rotary
Average Lifespan for Wireless Router
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Michelle/AL on 8/17/09 4:35pm
Msg #300418

Am I spelling it correctly? How long should I expect my DLink wireless internet router to last? I threw away the box it came in. For the last month my desktop keeps telling me that I have only "local" internet - not full internet. I guess what I'm saying is that my internet service ebbs and flows. Now that I think about it the equipment is...4 1/2 - 5 years old.

Reply by davidK/CA on 8/17/09 4:53pm
Msg #300424

If your router is that old you should buy a new one anyway. The speed difference between an "802.11 A/B or even "G" compared to an "N" is significant.

Reply by Jim/AL on 8/17/09 4:58pm
Msg #300425

Should last a long time if not dropped, spilled on etc...

You should be able to go to their website and get instructions on doing a reset of the router and bring it back to life. Also check the FAQ's about your problem.

Like any electronics though, sooner or later a diode, electrode or something will fry and you are usually better off replacing it vs. fixing it.

Send a PM to PAW, he has the smarts!

Good luck Michelle

Reply by PAW on 8/17/09 5:31pm
Msg #300429

Routers should last at least 5 years, but technology often makes them obsolete before their life expires.

As for "local" internet, that is correct. Your PC is not connected to the WAN (wide area network), it is connect to the router. The router is the 'bridge' between the outside world (WAN) and your local area network (LAN). This is done by NAT IP address translation. In other words, traffic coming in from the WAN on the IP address assigned to you by your ISP, is translated to your internal LAN IP address, which is 128.168.1.nnn.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 8/17/09 6:06pm
Msg #300433

" translated to your internal LAN IP address, which is 128.168.1.nnn. "

Not necessarily - my internal LAN IP address is 192.168.1.nnn... I've had several routers over the years, and they have all used that as a LAN address. You could certainly change it if you want to, but I recall talking to a propeller-head some years back when I was still in corporate, and he said 192.168 was reserved for LANs - it was never assigned to any web provider, so there was no chance for potential conflict with the outside world. That may have changed since then.

You are absolutely correct about the life span - they tend not to break down as much as become obsolete, so they should probably be upgraded or replaced every few years. Even a brand new computer is generally obsolete within about a month or so of taking it out of the box... Keeping up with technology has become an impossible task, unless you have a lot of money...

Reply by PAW on 8/17/09 8:13pm
Msg #300460

Fat fingers are at it again.

My mistake. (I guess a fat fingered it for sure.) Of course 192.168.1.nnn is correct. Of course, big LANs certainly can use different addressing schemes, especially with multiple routers, WAPs, bridges, etc. Of course, I erred and have been shunted to the recycle bin.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 8/17/09 10:27pm
Msg #300500

Thanks to all who responded. You got deep

on me with all the technical language but I think I heard you say "yes, it would not hurt for you to replace your 5 year old router, and that could very well be the cause of your problem".

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.