Notary Rotary
Background Checks
Notary Discussion History

Background Checks
Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by KimWmsVA on 8/13/09 1:07pm
Msg #299775

Background Checks

I have been hearing a lot about getting a background check will increase my business. I don't have a concern with getting one, I have to do it for my 9-5 job. I just don't know where is the best place to get one and the best cost.

What is your experience with getting background checks, who did you use and the approx cost?

Thanks for your input

Reply by John/CT on 8/13/09 1:12pm
Msg #299776

Re: Background Checks (BGC)

I got mine thru the NNA because that's what Fiserv & FASS require. But, it will be very expensive if you go that route because you have to buy their entire package: Membership, Certification and BGC. On the other hand, many are quite pleased with the BGC offered right here on Notary Rotary.

Reply by PAW on 8/13/09 1:19pm
Msg #299779

And then there are those ...

... who don't do either. That is, they don't get another BGC since they already have one or just don't think one is necessary. How much work would one loose if they didn't have a BGC done by the NNA is anybody's guess. But my guess is it is very small. (Just another cost of doing business that needs to be added in to your 'work for profit' equation, making your profit that much less. Right now, profit margins are pretty thin. Making it thinner is not in my business plan.)

Reply by HB/CA on 8/13/09 1:20pm
Msg #299780

I got my background check right here through Notary Rotary, the cost varies, but it's reasonable. From what I've heard it's the most thorough. However, I can't tell if it has helped my business much. Most companies that have called me do not ask for it. The companies that asked for it when I signed up have yet to call me. I'm still not sure why here in California it's an issue since the SOS requires a background check as a part of becoming commissioned.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/13/09 2:59pm
Msg #299829

It's only an issue if you let it be one

I've been recommissioned since the new laws went into effect and I haven't seen the need to get an additional BGC. Companies I was working for before still call. Those who insist on the NNA BGC tend to be low-paying anyway. That's a call we each need to make for ourselves. And I'm not convinced that the BGC through the NNA is any more comprehensive than the one that I've already paid for through the state.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 8/13/09 1:25pm
Msg #299781

I have never gotten a background check. All these years, I've only been asked about it once, and I seem to remember that I still got the job.

Reply by Keystone_SA on 8/13/09 1:37pm
Msg #299785

When some SS's want a copy of my background check, I'd like to say "show me yours and I'll show you mine".... I do, however, have one on hand if needed. I think certain states have already made it mandatory that when applying for and/or renewing a notary license they have to get a BGC done. I used NNA because of FASS, as well.

Reply by sue_pa on 8/13/09 2:31pm
Msg #299817

I got one for myself from the PSP for $10. I've also never had to supply one.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/13/09 1:42pm
Msg #299788

Re: Background Checks...Kim

If you have a BGC for your 9-5, why not speak with your employer - maybe they can get you a copy that will suffice or you can use that servicer.

Just a thought.

Reply by spnotaryplus on 8/13/09 2:09pm
Msg #299802

Exactly....

I have not been asked for a BGC for quite a while. The last time I was asked for my BGC was back in 2006. Right now I am in mortgage origination with a well known lender and I have my BGC through them. I continue to perform signings and have not been asked for it. I don't see where my business has been affected by not having one.

JMO

Reply by MW/VA on 8/13/09 2:15pm
Msg #299805

"I have been hearing a lot about getting a background check will increase my business." That sounds like NNA marketing to me. I did that a couple of years back & paid for NNA Cert/BGC. Then they come to me & tell me it expires & I have to pay for a renewal. I don't think so. At this point there is no federal or state requirement to have one. Gee, I wonder if everyone at TBW had a BGC???
If you already have one for your f/t job what would be the point in paying for it?

Reply by KimWmsVA on 8/13/09 2:29pm
Msg #299813

That is what I have been telling anyone that asks. That I am required to have one as a state employee; therefore, I do not have an additional background check through any of the notary sites.
It hasn't cost me any jobs yet, but just wondering the effects out there with everyone as a whole.

Thanks for the input, you guys are the best!

Reply by KimWmsVA on 8/13/09 2:29pm
Msg #299814

That is what I have been telling anyone that asks. That I am required to have one as a state employee; therefore, I do not have an additional background check through any of the notary sites.
It hasn't cost me any jobs yet, but just wondering the effects out there with everyone as a whole.

Thanks for the input, you guys are the best!

Reply by Laurie_OR on 8/13/09 7:00pm
Msg #299879

Why would you pay for one? You can request a copy of your background check yearly from LexisNexis for 'free'!

I've used this same background check for any company that wants one. They've all accepted it and the annual update because LexisNexis is the same company that does the background checks for the NNA.

The only cost to me is the 3 minutes to fill out the form and the time to fax it to Lexis Nexis once a year. A week or two later they mail me the BGC by snail mail.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/13/09 7:44pm
Msg #299885

That's interesting. I have never heard that before. How do I contact LexisNexis about the annual update?

Reply by Laurie_OR on 8/13/09 8:57pm
Msg #299894

If you go to the following link at LexisNexis it will tell you how to get a copy of your background report which is the same information they would provide an employer or the NNA about you. They call them 'person reports'.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/privacy/for-consumers/request-personal-information.aspx

At that link, there is a PDF that you can print with the form and fax number to send the information.

Reply by Yowheelz on 8/14/09 12:12pm
Msg #300019

BGC's, TPL's, Certifications, Commissions, E&O etc. etc.

All cost of doing business. It only takes one closing to more than pay for NNA's BGC and Certification so if it gets me more work I am willing to get one plus I'm covered if any other companies want a BGC. I don't like being told I need a NNA BGC and Certification any more than I like the State of MD telling me I have to have a Title Producers License. There are good paying companies that I work for that require all of the above so I bite the bullet and keep re-uping. If your going to get a BGC anyway why not go with the NNA and get both certified and BGC. I have had two companies receintly ask for proof of certification in order to work for them. And yes, they may still use un-certified notaries if they have to but I figure it puts me on the list above the others and that's what staying in business is all about.

Reply by CH2inCA on 8/14/09 2:55pm
Msg #300046

Re: BGC's, TPL's, Certifications, Commissions, E&O etc. etc.

My day job is as a registrar. ONE school, two school districts; I had to get a background check for each district. Out of my own pocket.

Volunteered as a campground host at a State Park last summer....another background check.

Became a notary...background check.

Became a signing agent...background check.

:0) And I'm the kind of person who's never even had a traffic ticket!! HA

Reply by dk_reed07/IL on 8/14/09 1:32pm
Msg #300031

I had one company call that required a BGC. I do not have one, so they scheduled my appointment in a public place.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/14/09 1:33pm
Msg #300032

Heaven forbid you know where they live - LOL n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.