Notary Rotary
Background check
Notary Discussion History

Background check
Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by HKT_TX on 8/19/09 8:43pm
Msg #300991

Background check

Needing opinions on getting a background check. I have refused to do it thus far. I live in a rural area, do 3 to 4 assignments a month, although lately it has been more. Didn't feel like it was justified. I have been told I am the only mobile notary within 70 miles to the south and west. I'm just wondering now that it might be picking up, if I would get more work if I did have the background check, since some companies are requiring it. Opinions? Thanks!

Reply by JanetLA on 8/19/09 8:49pm
Msg #300993

Notary Rotary has a good one. Mine came from here and

nobody has turned it down yet. Affordable and fast. Can't go wrong!

Reply by HKT_TX on 8/19/09 8:51pm
Msg #300996

Re: Notary Rotary has a good one. Mine came from here and

Janet, do you do any work for FASS?

Reply by HKT_TX on 8/19/09 8:51pm
Msg #300997

Janet, do you do any work for FASS?

Reply by Susan Fischer on 8/19/09 9:04pm
Msg #301006

Dittos. n/m

Reply by HKT_TX on 8/19/09 9:20pm
Msg #301018

Forgive my ignorance, but I can't seem to find anywhere on this website to get a background check!

Reply by HKT_TX on 8/19/09 8:50pm
Msg #300994

Sorry, should have searched first, found similar thread! The only company that has really told me I would not get work without one is FASS, and I don't really know how much business they would give me anyway.

Reply by JanetLA on 8/19/09 8:56pm
Msg #301000

I have worked for them. They are good in my book -and

there are others that require the background check too.

Reply by HKT_TX on 8/19/09 9:00pm
Msg #301003

Re: I have worked for them. They are good in my book -and

Just wondering if they would accept any Background Check other than NNA. They told me I should be registered with them.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/19/09 9:05pm
Msg #301007

No Kathy..they'll only accept NNA BGC

At least that's what both FASS and TCT told me when they each called me about to advise I'd need one once FASS took over TCT's files...they claim the NNA BGC is more comprehensive and satisfies the requirements of the GLB Act....the one here does not...

Now, that's what FASS and TCT told me....I've advised NotRot of the conversation I had...they were going to look into it as they feel their BGC is much more detailed than the NNA's - I haven't heard back on it as yet....not that I expect them to report back to me.

In the meantime, I'll wait...I won't get one from NNA...I'll retire first. Oh, and by the way - have been asked once in three years for it....and I still work.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/19/09 9:06pm
Msg #301008

Woops....Katy.....sorry...:) n/m

Reply by HKT_TX on 8/19/09 9:11pm
Msg #301011

Re: Woops....Katy.....sorry...:)

Lol! Its ok, it happens all the time. I have done work for TCT, also. But from what I read on here, I dont know if I will get the NNA BGC, either.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 8/20/09 5:42pm
Msg #301102

Re: No Kathy..they'll only accept NNA BGC

"they claim the NNA BGC is more comprehensive and satisfies the requirements of the GLB Act....the one here does not..."

And I hope you told them that there are no such requirements in the GLB Act....

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/20/09 7:37pm
Msg #301113

Re: No Kathy..they'll only accept NNA BGC

No...I just told them "sorry, that's too bad, but I have no intention of paying $150 to join an organization I don't wish to belong to and be required to be certified by them in order to get their BGC...now if you're willing to pay the $149 for me we may have a deal"...

Why did he start choking??...Smile

Reply by wisconsin on 8/19/09 9:01pm
Msg #301005

Re: I have worked for them. They are good in my book -and

I get alot of work from FASS, they pay every 2 weeks. Good in my book too. Just don't let them low ball you.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/19/09 9:38pm
Msg #301020

A question to ask yourself...

If someone (e.g. FASS or otherwise) has an assignment in your area, who are they going to get to do it if they don't call you? Do you think they would prefer to pay someone in the next county (or whatever) a higher fee, if they had to, to cover something in your territory? Since you mentioned that your area is rural, do you think there is a certain volume of business there you are missing - that having a BGC would allow you to have?

Only you can answer these questions and decide if it's worth it or not.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/19/09 11:54pm
Msg #301028

I seem to be running behind Janet tonight on all that I want

to comment on -( I really am not following you) and echoing her as well.

You said you were the only person in many miles. That being the case, companies that say "you must have _______________(whatever - fill in blank) are out of luck if they want to get the work done. at an affordable price. Assuming you don't price yourself out of the ballpark, you are going to be rounding those bases and scoring the home runs on your terms.

Now, if you move to Orlando, where there seems to be a mobile notary every 6 blocks, and you want to work for a particular company that has those requirements (again fill in the blank) you may still decline to get a bkg check as these companys are few and far between. Plus, they lower their prices as they know they can simply due to supply and demand. Now they are a lowball company, and aren't worth the time and money and effort anyway.

This background check has been in effect for, what, 2-3 years (work with me and my fading memory) and I personally haven't been asked by a single company except those that want to offer me $40-75, and that just makes me laugh, sign, and decline with a "Thank you for calling, call me back when you can meet my fee."

So again, it is your decision, your checkbook, your business...I'm sure you will do what is best for you.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/19/09 11:58pm
Msg #301029

2 corrections:

"Now they are a lowball company" should be "now they become a lowball company"

"$40-75, and that just makes me laugh, sign, " should be "laugh, sigh"

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 8/19/09 9:54pm
Msg #301021

I would wait until specifically asked by a co. to get one.

They may ask you to get it from a certain co. Why do it now?

Reply by Gregory/OKC on 8/20/09 6:08pm
Msg #301103

Re: I would wait until specifically asked by a co. to get one.

I have my background check thru NNA and I will not get it from another company because I have already paid for one. I would highly recommend getting one because that gives company’s a nice warm feeling that you are the right person. Lets say you own a company and you had to pick between to notaries to do the job. One had the background check and the other one didn’t, which one would you pick. That’s the reason why I paid the extra money and received mine.

Reply by Gregory/OKC on 8/20/09 6:09pm
Msg #301105

Do not wait...Go ahead and get it done n/m

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 8/20/09 7:05pm
Msg #301111

In these difficult times, why waste $$$?

If you want to throw your money down the sewer pay the NNA. Most companies don't care.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/20/09 10:11pm
Msg #301147

I used to think that way, Gregory. Not any more. Wait until they hit you up for more money to renew what is their promotion in the first place.

Reply by davidK/CA on 8/20/09 6:15pm
Msg #301106

Otherwise you might as well get that $500K of E&O insurance in advance as well, just in case you get a call someday for a non-lowball fee.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 8/20/09 7:03pm
Msg #301110

I am with you David!

I was asked twice by 2 different companies. The amount I paid for those 2 CBC swas a fraction of what the NNA would have charged me!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.