Notary Rotary
Black and blue ink
Notary Discussion History

Black and blue ink
Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Claudine Osborne on 8/13/09 9:08pm
Msg #299897

Black and blue ink

I have a closing tomorrow that is requiring 2 ink colors. All signatures in blue and any fillins notary blocks dates etc. in black..Has anyone else had this request? This is a first for me!

Reply by John Schenk on 8/13/09 9:13pm
Msg #299898

LOL Ridiculous is all I can say.

Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like an extra $75 to me. LOL

JJ

Reply by firegirl on 8/13/09 9:18pm
Msg #299901

a pain maybe, but not a huge deal

I have had it happen a couple of times, once within the past month. They only wanted signatures in blue, everything else in black. I had the borrowers date in blue also. A little bit of a pain, no real biggie.

Reply by John Schenk on 8/13/09 9:22pm
Msg #299904

Re: a pain maybe, but not a huge deal

If the borrowers can just stick with a blue pen, then that's not as bad. I can print out my docs, fill in everything I can prior to going to the closing in black, and then just sign my name in blue...no prob.

JJ

Reply by John Schenk on 8/13/09 9:19pm
Msg #299902

Are you tellilng us the borrowers ALSO...

have to fill in their dates in Black and then sign in Blue? If so, you have got to be kidding me! You better also charge for printing 3 extra copies because you may need'em. That's unreal! Who is the lender/TC? I want to be sure I know that crazy deal is coming and charge accordingly.

JJ

Reply by firegirl on 8/13/09 9:23pm
Msg #299905

Re: Are you tellilng us the borrowers ALSO...

i had the borrowers sign and date in blue, I signed in blue, and the notary stuff I printed in black.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 8/13/09 9:26pm
Msg #299908

Chase is the lender. I agree pia..but that is the requirement and I will comply!

Reply by John Schenk on 8/13/09 9:42pm
Msg #299911

I'd comply too, but not for the same fee if the borrowers have to sign in blue and date in black. The signing has GOT to take longer, and I have very few borrowers I've ever dealt with that I think could pull off signing in blue and dating in black that wouldn't mess up numerous times on the docs. That send you searching for the copy so they can try it again. Joe get's it right this time but Jane screws up and then, unless you have another copy, you have no copy for them to try to get it right the 3rd try.

This is probably the most ridiculous signing requirement I have ever heard of coming down the pike. Don't really have a problem with the notary part as I fill out everything I can in advance before ever going to a signing. Do it in black, and do the rest in blue at the signing, except for the I.D. page(s) when you have the I.D. in your hands. What on earth is the advantage they perceive in the rainbow of pens? I just don't get it.

JJ

Reply by calipat on 8/13/09 9:24pm
Msg #299906

Never had that request I always use blue unless otherwise instructed, or if borrowers have out a certain pen color then I go with that. A couple of weeks ago I did a split signing where the notary before me had signatures in black and notary blocks in blue. I called SS to see if that is how it needed to be executed, they called escrow and escrow said it didn't matter. I just used black all around, to much trouble and more error for mistake to use 2 different colors. If that is what they want I would do it but other than that no way. Take your time so as to avoid mistakes. Happy Signings!!

Reply by Linda Juenger on 8/13/09 9:52pm
Msg #299914

Didn't Quicken loans have this requirment some time ago

Seems I remember them. Its not so bad. I remember some borrowers and I laughing pretty hard when I said "Switch". lol

Reply by SOCAL/CA on 8/13/09 10:02pm
Msg #299919

Re: Didn't Quicken loans have this requirment some time ago

Chase wants the venue in black and everything else in blue. It's not that big a deal.

Reply by John Schenk on 8/13/09 10:04pm
Msg #299920

Re: Didn't Quicken loans have this requirment some time ago

Still a stupid requirement, but definitely not a big deal if that's all they're asking. Thanks for clarifying. Have a great night all!

JJ

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/14/09 10:45am
Msg #299993

Re: Black and blue ink...Calipat

" I always use blue unless otherwise instructed, or if borrowers have out a certain pen color then I go with that"

Stick with your instructions - I don't care WHAT color the borrowers have out....it may be their loan but the lender has the money - the instructions prevail....borrowers don't dictate what color it gets signed in, and if they want their loan to go through, fund and record properly, they'll follow the instructions you've been given.

MHO

Reply by jojo_MN on 8/13/09 10:17pm
Msg #299921

I've had that happen at least ten times over the years. I have the borrowers (and me) sign everything in blue, then go back to the beginning and do the rest in black. That way, we don't mistakingly sign in the wrong color. I believe it was Quicken Loans that required it at the time. The only exception is the mortgage. Most recorders in this area won't accept anything in two colors.

Reply by jojo_MN on 8/13/09 10:18pm
Msg #299922

Sorry..started posting before those above...got side-tracked n/m

Reply by Michelle/AL on 8/13/09 11:36pm
Msg #299926

Claudine, you're not alone.

I closed one loan 2 years ago with this same requirement. Drove me nuts but got it done. Hasn't happened since. I can't remember the lender or title company.

Reply by Jim/AL on 8/13/09 11:36pm
Msg #299927

Re: Black and blue ink, been over a year since I and do not

remember for who, but yes I have done about 20 of these and they are a confusing PITA.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 8/14/09 3:27am
Msg #299937

Pretty standard o/p for MI

Everything hand-printed is black, signatures can be black or blue (as lender prefers). It's not applied to the dating, though - except within the notarial cert. In GENERAL - it's the notary who needs to swap colors while the borrower can use blue to sign/date.

While it is really only a recording 'issue' (or non-issue that's just become some kind of urban legend? Anyone actually experience a kick-back from a recording clerk?) - it's easier for T/C's to just make the requirement across the board, for all docs. Can't expect them to go through the whole twisted Hoyle book with people who might be unfamiliar.

So - signers can sign & date in blue, notary can sign in blue. Venues, notarial certs, notary info, stamping, and ANYTHING hand-corrected/hand-printed on a recordable doc is in black. That would include printing a name below a signature, or corrections to the vesting on the front of a mtg or a deed, for example.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 8/14/09 6:03am
Msg #299943

Re: Pretty standard o/p for MI

Yep, sounds like Title Source in MI.
SOP for their docs.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 8/14/09 8:08am
Msg #299948

Re: Pretty standard o/p for MI

Thanks everyone for help on this. I will post how it went later! Have a great day!

Reply by Larry/Ca on 8/14/09 10:13am
Msg #299976

Well, I have never thought of...

printing my name in black under my signature. Anyone have a copy of the instructions from these people?

Reply by MichiganAl on 8/14/09 10:13am
Msg #299975

The borrower doesn't need to date in black

As Renee said, this is s.o.p. for Michigan. Borrower just gets a blue pen, signs and dates everything in blue. You use a black pen for everything except your signature (if there's something that you actually have to date after your signature like an I.D. form, you can date in blue. But black for everywhere else that you're filling in info, dates, notarial block, etc.). I've gotten so used to the pen switch that it's weird for me when the instructions want printing and signature in all black.

Reply by Ralph Wedertz on 8/14/09 11:14am
Msg #300001

Re: The borrower doesn't need to date in black

I do an average of 50-60 signings a month and have been doing signings for over 10 years. I have never heard of such shenannigans in my time signing. I provide the pens all the time. I tell the borrowers we are using my pens - they're photo-repro blue (copies like black) unless the instructions are to sign in black. I supply those too. All data, signatures, etc. are then uiform without ink variations and weak looking signatures. If I would get such a request, I would tell them to find another notary - I don't have time to play non-sensical games like switch the pen.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 8/14/09 1:13pm
Msg #300028

and you're in NM, not in MI where we don't have your choice. n/m

Reply by MichiganAl on 8/14/09 7:19pm
Msg #300096

You'd refuse a signing because of pen color requirements?

That sure sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face. We get nonsensical requirements all the time. 5 HUDS, 3 mortgages, faxbacks, redundant forms. Honestly, it's so simple a caveman could do it. Borrower in blue, you do everything in black except sign. Adds about 30 seconds to the closing. And as a few of us have said, that's how it is in Michigan (There's an explanation, but it's irrelevant). If you can't handle the pen switch, you won't do signings in Michigan.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 8/14/09 8:36pm
Msg #300100

I run across this occasionally. In the two counties I service , recordables MUST be signed in black ink, so I default to black ink for all of my signings. Every so often, I get a company that insists on blue ink only; I have to call them and tell them it ain't gonna record that way, and I'll refer them to the county clerk's web site if they start insisting that they still want it done their way... I carry both color pens, and have had some signings where I have had to switch out pens for certain documents. It's a PITA when it happens, but not unmanageable...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.