Notary Rotary
Company called Pacific Document Services
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Angela Sanzo on 8/17/09 7:34pm
Msg #300452

Just wondering if anybody else is having troubled being paid by Pacific Document Services located in Brentwood, CA.? I have more than a half dozen invoices for them dating back to Feb and March of this year and have not been paid. We have repeatedly sent them emails, left voicemails, re-invoiced them and have received no response from them. Beware of they call you!

Reply by Becca_FL on 8/17/09 7:49pm
Msg #300456

Why do you still have open invoices from Feb and March?

Is this how you operate your business on a regular basis? Just curious. Do a search and loads will come up on PacDocSer and I am sure Paul will soon be here to explain this mishap.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

Reply by JanetLA on 8/17/09 7:52pm
Msg #300457

Why does this surprise anyone with him? He is bad news. n/m

Reply by Angela Sanzo on 8/17/09 9:05pm
Msg #300468

Re: Why do you still have open invoices from Feb and March?

I have been contacting Paul Gambs since Feb and March regarding these invoices. I spoke with Tonja from his office in May and she told me that payment for these invoices were mailed in April. However, we never received payment.

The notary business that I run only involves my husband and myself. What would you suggest that I do with my invoices from Feb and March? Stop seeking payment owed to me? I would love it if Paul would actually respond to our attempts to contact him. The only reason that I am talking about him in an open forum now is because I have been patient for several months and have yet to receive a response from him. I have given him the benifit of the doubt long enough. I have a family to take care of and don't appreciate being lied to and taken advantage of. Unfortunately for me I am just now becoming aware of his reputation. I have being doing this for six years and almost all of my dealings with signing companies have been positive. I had no reason to distrust before this.

Reply by Maranga Ink Resources on 8/17/09 9:29pm
Msg #300472

Suggestion : ask them to send you copy of the CANCELLED check back and front
If the check is still not clear ask them to make a Stop Payment and re issue a new check.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/17/09 9:45pm
Msg #300479

"The notary business that I run only involves my husband and myself. What would you suggest that I do with my invoices from Feb and March? Stop seeking payment owed to me? "

That's not at all what she's saying...invoices since Feb/Mar ought to be in small claims court by now...or you should have pursued the title companies on the files so they're aware of their SS's payment practice. You don't let them go for 5-6 months....you should have taken it to the next level a long time ago.

That's what was being said.

Reply by Angela Sanzo on 8/17/09 9:50pm
Msg #300484

Thank you for the clarification. We have done signings with this guy before and had not had this problem. I have been too kind in letting this go this long. I was not sure if it was financially worth it to pursue small claims court over small amounts. I have instead been trying to contact the company itself. I have sent emails, left messages , even spoken to people at the company, but to no avail. I have given a final notice and will be looking into small claims court if i don't hear back from them. The amount of one or two invoices is not very large. We accepted more signings from them after being told that the check had been mailed. I have contacted the title company also. Do you know what is generally considered an amount worth going after in small claims court?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/17/09 10:00pm
Msg #300487

" I have given a final notice and will be looking into small claims court if i don't hear back from them"

Tomorrow morning I'd be on the phone with each title company telling them I still haven't been paid by this company and request a copy of their canceled check proving he was paid...

Get a copy of your recorded security instrument as proof that your loan recorded and, therefore, funded.

"Do you know what is generally considered an amount worth going after in small claims court?"

Any amount is worth going after and you can also get "costs of collection" (court fees, late fees, statutory interest, etc)...the maximum amount you can file for is state specific..you need to check your state statutes regarding small claims actions...it's usually a max of $3,000-$5,000...some may be a bit more or a bit less.

Also, I'd draft a small claims complaint and fax it with your demand letter to his company AND to the title company (don't forget to name the TC as a defendant)...

Good Luck.

Reply by Angela Sanzo on 8/17/09 10:10pm
Msg #300492

Thanks so much for the info! I appreciate it!

Reply by MikeC/NY on 8/17/09 10:29pm
Msg #300501

He'll probably be here in the next few days, defending it as an accounting mix-up, and promising to make it right as soon as his next batch of payments are wired to him. But he has a habit of cutting checks (from an apparently empty bank account) before the wire arrives , so he'll routinely bounce the check. He'll then come here to apologize for that as well, and will add bank charges to the check he eventually makes good on.

I don't know the man, have never worked for him (and never will), but in reading the posts here that seems to be his basic MO. He has NO funds to pay his notaries, and lives wire to wire. There is documented evidence right here in the forum - it's always a story about cutting a check before the wired funds arrive, and then they arrive late. At some point, someone he's screwing around with will figure out that bouncing checks is actually illegal - and they should be talking about a criminal complaint rather than small claims court.

I have no dog in this hunt - I'm just sitting here, munching on popcorn and waiting to see how long it will take his victims to figure that out.... Apparently, that will be forever, because they just keep showing up with the same story.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/17/09 10:32pm
Msg #300504

Mike, you forgot about changing bank accounts..:) n/m

Reply by MikeC/NY on 8/17/09 10:46pm
Msg #300510

Yeah, I did - want some popcorn? :) n/m

Reply by Angela Sanzo on 8/17/09 10:53pm
Msg #300514

Re: Yeah, I did - want some popcorn? :)

Popcorn sounds good!

I won't let this go! I feel like he owes me too much! He's only bounced one check to us, made it right and then apparently just decided not to pay us anymore since then!

Have a good night all and enjoy the popcorn! My fav nighttime snack!

Reply by MikeC/NY on 8/17/09 11:38pm
Msg #300524

Re: Yeah, I did - want some popcorn? :)

Angela,

I was kidding around with Linda when I said that, but the reality is that bouncing checks is illegal. He uses it to buy time, and then makes it right at a higher cost to him (to cover the bank fees), which says volumes about his business plan...

If the guy bounces another check, your next move should be contacting the authorities where his business is located. Forget the emails, phone calls, and Small Claims Court (where you'll get a judgment that he will ignore) - he is breaking the law, and there's enough documented evidence right here on NR to show that he does it on a regular basis. And it's not just the complaints, he actually admits doing it while begging forgiveness... What a tool...

SOMEBODY needs to take this guy to task for the way he does business, because from what we're seeing here he's been screwing too many people lately. A criminal complaint would probably be more likely t o catch his attention....

Good luck with collecting what he owes you..

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/18/09 11:11am
Msg #300589

My dear MikeC/NY. Brace yourself. There's a PM a-commin'!!

Undoubtedly you will be contacted about your opinion. I had to block him and send his emails to my spam folder.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 8/18/09 6:19pm
Msg #300679

Re: My dear MikeC/NY. Brace yourself. There's a PM a-commin'!!

Thanks for the warning.... I have very little patience for people like that.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/17/09 10:55pm
Msg #300515

Re: Nah..I'll bring the drinks...:) n/m

Reply by sue_pa on 8/18/09 7:06am
Msg #300535

In addition to Linda's response, I would send my fax to the attention of the owner of the title company - better yet is his/her e-mail if you can find it which is often quite easy to do. Also listed would be the lender and if there is one the broker. Again, being as specific as possible, the legal department of the lender would be getting their fax.

Again, I am different than so many who seem to give a "decent" amount of time and also lengthen times by sending certified letters - TOTALLY useless unless it's legally required in your state. No notice at all is required in PA so I give 2-4 days for them to overnight me a check.

Reply by docs1954CA on 8/18/09 9:13am
Msg #300551

He must be out spending all the money he's not paying

some of you folks.He watches this board and others and responds with his BS excuses as soon as someone complains.This is the second post now in the past week about PDS. My guess is we'll see a slew of posts in the next few days regarding bounced checks.
Another thing I noticed that Paul did was rate his company in signing central with 5 stars when negative comments were entered there.When I called him on that, he now rates his co with 3 stars.
Paul you aren't even worth 1 star.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/18/09 9:20am
Msg #300555

In the future I hope you use Signing Central, and check the comments about the company.
This guy has a bad rep, and the non-payment issue is a common complaint. Using Signing Central helps you avoid taking work from the dead-beats.

Reply by JanetLA on 8/18/09 10:14am
Msg #300571

Paul Gambs sent me a rude email today

and cursed and told me what a terrible reputation I have in the business. Funny, I pay my bills with the money I make in the business. He even had the nerve to call me an idiot.... I have NEVER posted anything but truth about him. He shorts notaries over and over. He bounces checks over and over.... Talk about a success in this business. Wow.

Reply by Pacific Document Services on 8/18/09 10:31am
Msg #300575

Re: Paul Gambs sent me a rude email today

Amazing.....Janet Sobers worked for me on 02/26/2008 and 03/17/2008, was paid in full, unfortunately she did have a check returned and was sent a cashiers check with fees included, so here we are one and half years later and when ever there is a post regarding our company she has something to say...why, there is no beef. I just got off the phone with Mr. David Sanzo and we rectified any issues we had with him and his wife and everything will be fine. I read these posts and it blows me away...other than 1 other person most of you that have posted these things have never worked for me... i could call hundreds of notaries that have worked for us for 17 YEARS and have them make a posts regarding our company, don't want to!!! People, when i send a batch of check out do you really think i send them to be returned...come on. But when they are we do take care of the issue right away, i am not looking to be patted on the back for that, just want you to know there has never, nor will ever be a notary not paid by Pacific Document Services...Janet Sobers, we have had a notary in the Baton Rouge area for years, she could not be any happier!!!

Reply by JanetLA on 8/18/09 10:41am
Msg #300579

Hey Paul: Why do you have to rate your own company then?

And further, why can't I post the TRUTH about your company to help out fellow notaries that are being cheated by you. I will post anything I like, any time I like and it is ALWAYS TRUE. Thanks Paul!

Reply by MW/VA on 8/18/09 2:15pm
Msg #300633

Then step up & settle the issues with the originator of this post. If those issues don't exist they won't be posting it, will they?

Reply by mwm143 on 8/18/09 4:39pm
Msg #300666

Bounced check, certified check + nsf charges sent...

I have a friend (signing agent) in Texas who told me a story a few months ago about a company called Pacific Document Services. I was told the check bounced which over drew their account and the snowball effect that persued. I was then told how the fella who owned the company named Paul was so apologetic of the banking error that a replacement certified funds check was sent and included the nsf fees. I told my friend to check this site and they would see it was actually SOP for the company and not an isolated oversight followed by an act of generosity.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/18/09 4:54pm
Msg #300668

Re: Bounced check, certified check + nsf charges sent...

"followed by an act of generosity. "

Any and all fees/charges incurred resulting from the NSF that were paid back was not an act of generosity - it was an act of contrition perhaps, but only to save face it appears.

And Paul = you do not need to send me any more PM's.

Reply by S Peterson on 8/18/09 11:41am
Msg #300597

I have done several signings for Paul. I have never been shorted. I have never gone without payment. On occassion, if the signing was particularly odd or extra work, Paul even added to my fee on his own. These are very tough times. Yes, one of his checks went a little rubbery, but he took care of it immediately with a cashiers check that he overnighted to me. Back in the good ol' days, we all had "lines of credit with our checking accounts". If a check came in and our account was low, the bank paid it without question. That's very rare these days. Seriously, do you think he is bouncing checks on purpose so that he can spend the extra fees including overnighting a replacement check? He's losing money on the deal. Banks are tightening up without even telling their customers about the policy change.

Reply by Rhonda Farmer on 8/18/09 12:09pm
Msg #300601

I totally agree with S Peterson...comment

I have to say that Paul will always correct a situtation and make it right. I've had companies close there doors still owing me money with no resources to collect just a disconnected phone #. Paul and I go back almost 17yrs and yes I too have had a few bounced checks but ALWAYS MADE GOOD on them. I will continue to provide my services as I have never been stiffed by him in almost 17 yrs. That rates pretty good in my book. Also I did not get a PM from him.

Reply by JanetLA on 8/18/09 9:23pm
Msg #300710

17 years huh? Weird. He hasn't had corporation that long... n/m

Reply by Pacific Document Services on 8/18/09 12:28pm
Msg #300604

Thank you.....someone who gets it!!!!

Reply by JanetLA on 8/18/09 1:33pm
Msg #300619

Clarification: These supporters do not "get it"; they accept

NSF checks and slow payments. Paul attacks me when I post the TRUTH. I have never lied about him. He wrote me TWO NSF CHECKS, NOT ONE. Further, the second one was for $10.00, that he shorted me on the first NSF check. And he wants me to keep it to myself. If anyone pays attention, the original poster has been trying and trying to contact him. As soon as it is posted publicly, he is available... Miracle? No, just another typical day for Paul. He has some notaries come here to defend him and acts surprised. I am not sure it is a surprise to him. And he posts positive ratings for himself on Signing Central. Check it out: Favorable ways to get paid after receiving an NSF check from him.... Wow. What a great way to do business! He is dishonest. I don't care if he does it intentionally or not. He can't add and subtract? I find that hard to believe. Yes, for the record, he did pay me in full. I am NOT IMPRESSED. I will post again when the next new person comes forward asking about him and his NSF checks. Sure to hear how terrible I am at that point.

Reply by Pacific Document Services on 8/18/09 1:50pm
Msg #300625

Re: Clarification: These supporters do not "get it"; they accept

17 years Janet....17 years, must have done something right!!!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/18/09 2:33pm
Msg #300640

Let me ask one question here...calmly and civilly...

Why is this original poster still waiting on payment for services rendered in February and March?

I think that's a very logical question for you to address....not that it's any of my business, but that's the whole intent of the original post.

Reply by JanetLA on 8/18/09 9:24pm
Msg #300711

17 years Paul?? Really? Add it again... I don't think so... n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.