Notary Rotary
Global Notary wants me to pick up a check
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by jonpa on 8/13/09 12:02pm
Msg #299755

Global Notary wants me to go to a law office and pick up a check and FedEx it to them. Has any one done this before? Why can't the lawyer send it in? Should I do this? Please help/advise. Thanks.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 8/13/09 12:04pm
Msg #299756

They want you to act as a courier/mail forwarding service

Why question it? I would do it, as long as the fee offered makes it worthwhile for the time it will take me.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 8/13/09 12:05pm
Msg #299757

Have the lawyer seal the check in the envelope

drop the check in the box and wait for your check to come for your services.

Reply by Seeker/GA on 8/13/09 12:43pm
Msg #299767

I have never had this experience before, but I think it all depends on (1) the amount of competition in your area (2) the distance you have to travel to pick up the check and (3) your relationship with the client. I think we should try to go the extra mile for any client within reason. Depending on how far it is, I don't think it is an unreasonable request so long as you are compensated for your time/mileage. With that said, if you live in an area with a lot of other notaries and the market is really competitive, then you may want to go the extra couple of miles. Best of luck.

Reply by sue_pa on 8/13/09 2:37pm
Msg #299820

I always want to know "why" about situations. What did Global tell you about why the lawyer's office can't/won't drop it in the FE themselves?

My reasoning ... maybe they don't want to for some reason ... you'll go to the office, the receptionist will have to get the practice manager ... who will get the attorney in charge of the file ... who will tell you to take a hike ... Or, the receptionist will have to get the secretary, who will get the paralegal, who will get the attorney ... who will instruct the bookkeeper, who just left for lunch, to write the check. You wait, she returns and writes the check but the attorney hasn't signed off the fee sheet and he's now at a hearing ...

I always want to know what is going on when something is out of the ordinary and makes no common sense. I definitely wouldn't agree if I didn't have contact name and number for someone at the law office and speak to them ahead of time to be certain the check is waiting at the front desk for pick up.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.