Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Hourly rate for common contractors-something to think about.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by BrendaTx on 8/4/09 6:36am
Msg #298603

Recently I have found myself having to take bids for various things in my involvement with my condo association. It was eye-opening and refreshing, in a way.

Just so you guys know,

"Handymen" types in this area are charging $25.00 an hour. That includes people who will clean up around dumpsters, haul off trash, and so forth. Take it or leave it. They are getting their $25.00 an hour.

Home and office cleaners are charging a minimum of $50.00 to visit a site to clean for two hours.. Their hourly rate is $25.00. These are one person type businesses, not a chain of the Merry Maid type which is similar. If you want four hours worth of cleaning you pay $100. Take it or leave it. And, it's hard to find anyone with a lot of free time.

Don't sell your time short.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 8/4/09 6:58am
Msg #298606

Amen to that Smile

Reply by HKB on 8/4/09 8:40am
Msg #298611

I totally agree with you BrendaTx and thanks for your help.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/4/09 10:27am
Msg #298637

And you won't get a plumber, electrician, or appliance repair person to walk in the door for less than $100.

Reply by Shoshana Roller on 8/4/09 3:31pm
Msg #298660

Sure you can! You muit live in a very ritzy area or you call the wrong people.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/4/09 3:48pm
Msg #298661

Location, location, location makes all the difference in what one pays. Also, are you finding out of work contractors or subs? If so, negotition skills are in vogue now, along with bartering, etc. Small mom and pop businesses are more willing to adjust prices too. Don't just call the 'big guys' - they have much less wiggle room abd here in Orlando start at about $100+. Again, it is all about doing one's homework or due diligence.

Reply by Shoshana Roller on 8/4/09 4:57pm
Msg #298675

These are licensed contractors.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/4/09 7:06pm
Msg #298693

That is what I am talking about Shoshana...licensed n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 8/4/09 4:02pm
Msg #298664

Nothing "ritzy" about it--that's the going rate. I'm divorced. My X & I were do-it-yourselfers for most of our lives. Funny thing about that--not a lot of volunteers for women living alone. I now completely understand why a lot of women rent vs. own.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/4/09 5:16pm
Msg #298681

I disagree. I may be not too far from some ritzy areas, but where I live isn't one of them... I know this varies a great deal geographically, but this is the reality in my world, and I'm sure I'm far from alone:

If it's under $100 for a professional tradesperson, it will be just barely. You might get someone to clean for $25/hr, but only if you have a long-term arrangement. Any less and they're probably not documented -- and it probably won't be much less, if they're any good.

Also, don't even think about getting a handyman for under $50/hr -- and if you want someone licensed (which you should), it will likely be closer to $75/ hr. MINIMUM. You are taking a risk to hire any semi-skilled independent contractor for less than $50, imo. Even many hairdressers make more than that, and we travel to them!

I could probably go on, but I think Brenda makes a great point. It all comes down, once again, to the fact that we are NOT hourly employees, we are business owners who pay all the taxes and overhead that a business requires. We don't turn in expense reports to get reimbursed for out-of-pocket items and any "benefits" we have, we must pay for ourselves. Even if you're a part timer and/or you get benefits from a spouse's employment, you still have overhead to consider.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 8/4/09 6:31pm
Msg #298690

What's the labor rate for auto repair in your area? $162

is what we just paid. Hubby just had his rig serviced. Total bill was $618.25. Labor 2hrs [e-mail address] was $324, over 1/2 the bill. Parts were $168 and oil and grease and tax were the rest.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.