How long have you been a notary?
Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Abdullah Aziz on 8/19/09 3:59pm
Msg #300898

How long have you been a notary?

Just got my N.S.A. 3 days ago.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/19/09 4:08pm
Msg #300904

If you're new to the forum & the notary business, you might want to use the orange search button and view message #33325. It contains a wealth of information.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 8/19/09 4:20pm
Msg #300909

Greetings Abdullah I wish you much luck in your endeavor. A quick pointer however when you say you got your N.S.A. what exactly do you mean. If you got Certified by one of the industries education providers it confers nothing. Depending on who Certified you it may have some mean to businesses looking for your services and absolutely nothing to others and may even in some cases be detrimental.

I strongly suggest that you read some of the forum posts because as in any community there are established, unwritten expectations and varying opinions. Knowing the community and its ostensible power base will make your integration seamless.

Welcome aboard!

Reply by davidK/CA on 8/19/09 4:23pm
Msg #300911

"Just got my N.S.A. 3 days ago." That means what?

I don't believe that there is any recognized organization that legally can confirm a NSA title, although some companies do issue "Certifications" as a NSA. Is that what you are referring to? A "Certified Notary Signing Agent" is just a Notary Public who spent money to get a diploma somewhere.

More importantly, how long have you been commissioned as a Notary Public? That's of course the starting point. Then you can study and learn about the Notary Signing Agent business followed by experience, more learning, more experience, and then "rinse and repeat".

NotRot is a wonderful place to gain knowledge. Start reading it religiously each day, but do not expect to get basic questions that you must know such as how to fill in the blanks on an Acknowledgement form. Right or wrong, you will be "blasted" for asking stupid questions.

Good luck entering into a tough business!

Reply by jba/fl on 8/19/09 4:31pm
Msg #300913

My David - are you jaded? Talk about "nice"...

Start by reading message #33325, the entire thread. Also use the search button to find out about equipment you may need and their consumables; forms you may run across; etc. If a question pops into your mind - it probably has already been asked, so search first. Someone is always willing to answer and help out as long as you are doing your part.

Reply by davidK/CA on 8/19/09 5:48pm
Msg #300948

Re: My David - are you jaded? Talk about "nice"...

No, just telling the truth (as I see it of course).

A "Certified NSA" is just a Notary Public with a diploma or certificate of completion that IMHO means nothing. I have never had a signing service, title company, lender or a member of the general public ask me if I am "Certified". I have a Commission from the Secretary of State confirming my appointment as a Notary Public for the State of California. That means I have been fingerprinted and passed a background check by the FBI and the California Department of Justice. That's all I need to call myself a Notary Signing Agent. I do not need to pay XYZ or any other company for a unregulated and unofficial "Certification".

It's a shame that so many new Notaries Public believe that they gain some status by becoming "Certified" NSAs. IMHO, it's a con game and they fell for it. What counts in the real world is knowledge, following the law and experience.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/19/09 5:56pm
Msg #300951

"Right or wrong, you will be "blasted" for asking stupid questions."

The rest is totally true; NNA's certifications are just a pretty piece of paper (I think?) and nothing more.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/19/09 6:05pm
Msg #300956

When you're new, you market what you've got - and before you have experience, that may be all ya got. However, I believe many hiring organizations are wise to that fact. They may be less interested - or if they're of the bottom-feeding persuasion, they may be more so, seeing a potential victim. My advice is to do whatever you can to get experience and knowledge, but proceed with caution - and don't take the certification thing too seriously. Very few others do.

One caveat: Like David said, in CA, you have to have a background check just to be a notary. In other states where that is not the case, the BGC might have some potential value to some companies. As we've read, there are some big players who now won't hire anyone without it. [Thank you, NNA.] At least, that's what they say.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/19/09 5:23pm
Msg #300934

"rinse and repeat" - Love it! ;>) Great advice, too!!!! n/m

Reply by ChristineHI on 8/19/09 4:33pm
Msg #300914

More than 18 years...

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/19/09 4:47pm
Msg #300918

Christine - you ans'd the Question!

15-20 somthing like that for me.

Reply by dickb/wi on 8/19/09 5:04pm
Msg #300924

47 years for me..............i think i am getting tired.....

Reply by Gregory Howard on 8/19/09 5:16pm
Msg #300930

I tell you the truth; some people are just plain nasty. First of all, "Welcome". You did not waste your money because you have a background check and that is something good to have. I wish you much luck because like all of us, we like to make money Smile. Keep your profile updated and read, read, read. Ask question because we all had to start somewhere and hopefully we can help you and everybody else out with our mistakes. Once again, Welcome.

Reply by 101livescan on 8/19/09 6:31pm
Msg #300960

I have just renewed my notary public commission for the 10th time, and looking forward to many more renewals! It's a great way to make a living! It wasn't always a way to make a living, but in the last 15 years it certainly has been for me.

Reply by Jack/AL on 8/19/09 11:51pm
Msg #301027

But the education can be very beneficial

Whether one values the Certified N...S..A.... title or not, I found the process and information from NNA beneficial. Unfortunately, my sweet home Alabama is one of those states that has NO requirement for training to become or remain a Notary Public! Even so, I did take a alf-day session, back in 1995. As a Notary Public since 1995 and Realtor since 1991, I'd probably notarized no more than a dozen documents in 13 years! Those were normally not related to real estate transactions, but completed for individuals who walked into the real estate office needing some already prepared document notarized. All were done for free. Although I'm familiar with the real estate transaction documents from a Realtor's point of view, I found myself woefully inadequate to begin signings. Soon after stumbling successfully through a couple of dozen signings, I signed up for the NNA Certified NSA course. I found it informative, somewhat interesting, and it made my job much easier. It helped fill the gap in educaiton and experience, so now I'm probably more efficient and confident. I recommend it to folks (down-home lingo) anxious to learn quickly, especially if they have a weak background of little experience and/or training.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/20/09 12:12am
Msg #301030

Re: But the education can be very beneficial

You are so right Jack/AL; my dad always said, "Get all the education you can. No one can ever take it away from you." My daddy wouldn't lie to me. (Couldn't resist last sentence - I remember a sales class on asking for the closing and that line being drummed into our heads that day)

But there other sources than NNA. The course offered here is excellent. I'm afraid the XYZ as we like to refer to them as, is considered to many as no more than a sales org. with great designs on your wallet . Nevertheless, furthering ones own knowledge base is an on-going, never-ending process - or should be.

Use the search button a lot, if the question is thought of, it probably has been discussed.

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 8/20/09 2:20pm
Msg #301082

my dad always said, "Get all the education you can.

My dad said "Go to college....if they can make pennicillin out of moldy cheese, they can make something out of you"

Reply by 101livescan on 8/20/09 8:18am
Msg #301042

The NSA Designation is what got me off my butt to do the loan signing gig as a full time endeavor. I quickly learned that practical applications of working directly for escrow and title in their offices was the best learning adventure. It's real time. NSA has a book that has tests at the end of each chapter, then you test the entire book and test on the entire text. This business has changed a lot the last couple of years, but the documents are still there, only there are more, more disclosures. I'm glad subprime lending disappeared...Now it's either prime or hard money. I've been getting a few of those lately. I'll be glad when everyone relaxes a little bit on the regulatory end and we don't have all these underwriting challenges. It's amazing what comes up at the last minute to totally throw a boomerang into the process. I haven't had one borrower tell me that it "was a relatively smooth process." Everyone says it took a long time and the lender drove us nuts with papers proving this and that, and we had all but given up on the loan request, then one day we get a call and we have to sign today or we'll lose our rate lock".

Straight notary work will always be with us and there will be plenty of that work. I am wondering what is down the road for consumers for refi's and purchases. It has been extraordinarily quiet. Still doing modifications, not as many, and refis have slowed. I'm doing a lot of live scanning for the medical industry, and averaging four foreclosure sales (back to the bene) a day. New postings picking up.

I think being a notary and carrying out the duties as prescribed by our SOS in CA is great work, and I hope I can do it for another 20 years! This board and its members' contributions offers a great many suggestions and ideas for making it even better and I don't rely on the XYZ to promote me or educate me on a go forward basis because they aren't real time, out in the field, actually doing it, just collecting fees on membership, selling their brand, 200% mark up on all supplies and education, they don't really apply to or assist the real world notary, IMHO.

Good luck on being the best notary in your area, I hope you like the gig. Being a loan signing agent is a tougher gig for a new notary, but not impossible to achieve success! Hang out with this board and you'll get more tips than any where else on how to grow your biz!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.