Notary Rotary
IL Notaries - Investment Property Questions
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Kay/IL on 8/18/09 7:39am
Msg #300537

Is the signature of the borrower's spouse required on investment property solely owned by the borrower when refinancing? If so, on which documents?

Thanks!

Reply by PAW on 8/18/09 8:07am
Msg #300541

Disclaimer - This is not legal advice.

Since dower and curtesy were abolished in Illinois (755 ILCS 5/2-9) and Illinois is not a community property state, I would have to say no, if the borrower is the sole owner (on title) to the property. Even though Illinois does have a homestead laws, I don't think they would apply in this situation.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 8/18/09 8:56am
Msg #300548

Correctamundo, but I believe a better answer would be...

if spouses name is not on dox, check with the hiring entity.
You can say something like "I don;t believe that spouse needs to sign anything,
but I just wanted to check to be sure."
As I understand it, Il law requires a spouse , not on title, to sign "legals"
ONLY if it is the principal residence. Not legal advice, yada yada

Reply by FAN_IL on 8/18/09 11:15am
Msg #300590

I agree w/ Paul & Bob. Nevertheless, I recently did a closing in Illinois for a Montana property that had been owned in a trust by a man before he married, and the title company specifically requested that the spouse sign the security instruments. So I guess it's always wise to ask.

Reply by Pat/IL on 8/18/09 1:13pm
Msg #300615

I agree with Paul and not so much with Bob and Fayette. If the property is outside of Illinois, okay, maybe a phone call wouldn't hurt. If the property is within Illinois, you know it's investment property, you know there is no spouse on title, and there are no instructions regarding a spouse, then I don't see the point in wasting everybody's time with a phone call.

Reply by Kay/IL on 8/18/09 2:11pm
Msg #300632

Thanks everyone! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.