Notary Rotary
Inverter vs. Battery Back Up
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Michelle/AL on 8/17/09 11:52am
Msg #300329

As mentioned in my earlier post I just left Sam's Club and saw something there that I think might be worth mentioning. I'm trying to be as "mobile" as possible so when I saw APC Battery Backup for around $53 I stopped and looked it over. It's one of this gizmos that looks like an over-sized power cord. It claims that when it's charged up you can run various electrical equipment by just plugging in. I was interested in how it would work with my wireless laptop computer. The box said it would give me apprx 35 min of uninterrupted juice.

The eSigns I complete don't last that long - at least the website piece doesn't, so this just might work for me. I didn't buy it. I want to do some more research first. I also wanted to hear from any of you who might be using it already.

That inverter thing for the car sounds pretty involved to me. Not sure I want to go that route.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 8/17/09 12:14pm
Msg #300333

Am I missing something? I have a e-sign tonite. If

bwr does not have a computer with internet access, I will
just bring my lapop in with me , plug it into an outlet
and fire up the cell modem

Reply by Michelle/AL on 8/17/09 12:18pm
Msg #300335

No, you aren't missing a thing.

I normally don't plug into the BO's electrical outlet for eSign work. However, if I'm doing work on the road that requires my laptop, and laptop battery gets low, and there's nowhere to plug in....that's when I would see using this. In addition, we get a lot of storms in N. AL. It is not common for my neighborhood to experience power outages on a sometimes regular basis (during storm season).

Sorry for the confusion.

Reply by Jose Gutierrez on 8/17/09 12:25pm
Msg #300339

Re: No, you aren't missing a thing.

I recently purchased another laptop with the LED screen and the the biggest battery available(9cell) and I can get up to 9 hours in that thing on power saver mode. Look for an additional battery on ebay for your laptop, probably cheaper than the thing you saw at SAMS and lots of hour of juice in your laptop.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 8/17/09 12:27pm
Msg #300341

Thanks, Jose. That does make more sense as far

as my laptop is concerned. This gizmo runs other electrical equipment (i.e., printer).

Reply by Jose Gutierrez on 8/17/09 12:30pm
Msg #300344

Re: Thanks, Jose. That does make more sense as far

Yes I did some research a few months ago, and they run a printer but only for like 3 or 4 minutes. So not enough time for us to print a copy loan package. And the type of printers that we use on this requires a lot more than 850 watts.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/17/09 12:32pm
Msg #300345

I have a small inverter for my car. It's Black and Decker, 400 watts, powers up t 3.48 amps....I bought it at Home Depot or Lowes (can't remember) for $39.99. It's easy to use. Just plug it in your car charger and plug in your laptop, digital camera, cellphone, GPS to the inverter. The car must be running and then you turn on the inverter and it powers up your appliance.

Some things, like a digital camera, do not have car chargers, they only have the regular wall outlet chargers so an inverter is great for that. I also use my inverter for my lightweight copier when I need to. It's not involved at all.

Reply by Jose Gutierrez on 8/17/09 12:34pm
Msg #300347

Those inverters from the big box stores are not Pure wave sine, so at the end you will damage your laptop

Reply by OR on 8/17/09 12:57pm
Msg #300357

Re: Inverter

I would opt for an inverter. I have had mine for 21/2 years. It is large enough to run my my computer and printer. It is 1000 watt hard wired to my battery. I will use it today while I am on the road if I don't get docs early enough to print before I need to leave for my first signing. I don't know how I worked with out it. I don't use it everyday but when I need it its there. It has paid for its self.

Reply by Joan_OH on 8/17/09 1:28pm
Msg #300365

I have a dell laptop and dell does sell chargers that plug into your cigarette lighter. So if you are just looking to charge your computer..... I don't think anything but a good, high wattage inverter run to your car's battery is going to run a laser printer.

Joan-OH

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 8/17/09 1:41pm
Msg #300371

I agree with Joan, I have a pure sine inverter and can run anything off it. It's has two recepticals.

Reply by wisconsin on 8/17/09 1:43pm
Msg #300372

" I'm trying to be as "mobile" as possible so when I saw APC Battery Backup for around $53 I stopped and looked it over. It's one of this gizmos that looks like an over-sized power cord. It claims that when it's charged up you can run various electrical equipment by just plugging in. I was interested in how it would work with my wireless laptop computer. The box said it would give me apprx 35 min of uninterrupted juice. "

The APC is used to protect your computer equipment in the event of a power outage. It gives you enough time to shut it down properly and keeps it safe from power surges. It is not meant to be a portable backup battery.

Reply by Vince/KS on 8/17/09 1:48pm
Msg #300373

A typical laser printer will blow the fuse out of a backup power supply as the laser draws far too much power for most of them. If you are only using a laptop, cell phone or typical GPS, and only to charge batteries, an inexpensive invertor will typically work well for most. Where it gets expensive is having a big enough invertor to actually print documents from a laser printer. A laser printer will quickly take out the fuse (and perhaps more) of an inadequate invertor, much the same as the uninterruptible power supply or battery backup. Use the orange search button and look into mobile offices and recommendations regarding adequate power needs.

Reply by OR on 8/17/09 10:16pm
Msg #300495

Re: Inverter proof it work and works well

I have used my inverter for 2+ years now with out any proublems. However it does have an inline fuse that has never went out. I Today I ran Dell laptop and my copy machine and a laser printer all at the same time. 1000 watt inverter hard wired to the battery. I have to start my car first to get it to turn on but it works like a charm every time. Don't know how I would run this business with out it. I never have to worry about copys of ID because I have a built in copy machine in my car. I also print docs with this set up. I think the whole investment was 3000. with an air card. Verizon air card cost me $67.00 a month. I think the lap top with a smart phone with internet may be cheeper. But this is just my set mp. I got lucky and got a air desk at the Goodwill one day for $5 bucks that rocks my live. Any way just wanted to chime in again. Good luck

Reply by MrEd_Ca on 8/17/09 2:19pm
Msg #300384

No to the Battery Back Up ---

as Wisconsin says, those APC units from Costco are just meant to last only long enough for you to save everything & then shut down the equipment. I have one & it says it is rated for 30minutes but it has never lasted longer than the 10 minutes I used it one time during a power outage here.

However, as a surge protector & short duration battery backup it is great.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.