Notary Rotary
Just wondering what your opinion is when a SS
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by RJE/MI on 8/1/09 7:31pm
Msg #298374

that you have never done business with calls you and when you ask them how they are in response to them asking you the same thing they respond "I'd be better if Notaries would quit cancelling on me!" Then she asked me if I would do a signing for her that evening. I hesitated to say yes because I wasn't sure when I would get the docs from the SS I already had a signing with. It was scheduled for 6pm and was 45 minutes away. It was already 7:30pm and the docs were promised at 6:50pm (after calling them and leaving them a message for an ETA on the docs at 5pm). I got a call back at 6:45pm and they said docs were late because the Title Co. was swamped but they promised the docs were ready. Sorry, I hope that wasn't too confusing but I know you all have been there.

I was thinking to myself that I just wish they would tell the truth for once. I know they don't always know when they will arrive but to just ignore or lie to the NSA is so frustrating. Especially when their instructions state that under NO circumstances am I allowed to change the time or even be 1 minute late to the appointment for any reason. But it is ok for me to sit around and stare at my computer waiting for any kind of response to my calls, emails, etc. and in the process turn down other signings just because they can't take a moment to pu a phone and let me know that docs will be late.

So anyway I turned down the SS that complained to me about "cancelling notaries" because I wasn't sure when I was going to get my docs on the already scheduled signing and I didn't want to take the chance of having to go out to do her signing (which btw she claimed to have docs on) and have to come back, print docs and go back out (40 minutes each way) making my prior signing appointment that was originally scheduled at 6pm have to sign after 10pm.

I hated saying no because it was so close to my other appointment, it had been a relatively slow week and if I only knew when the other docs might come I could have swung it but I was trying to be professional and put the borrowers inconvenience and not wanting to upset the company that contracted with me first. Plus I was exhausted from all the running around and stress from the last minute docs that come with eom on my am signings and didn't feel up to a real late night.

Then I got thinking about how the SS would take it if I were to treat them the way they were treating me. Like maybe getting sick of sitting around waiting for some sort of communication and/or truth about the docs and maybe I'd just say "forget them, I have no idea when those docs are really going to come and I have another person with docs in hand ready to email. I will cancel the 1st signing or maybe just make them wait and see if I can or even feel like getting around to it after and take care of this one." (Which btw I have never or would never do.) It was just a thought.

It made me realize that the SS with docs in hand may have treated the "cancelling notary" the way the SS I was waiting for docs on was treating me all pm and the "cancelling notary” just said "forget it, find someone else to sit around all day, I've got other things to do."

It made me feel a little better turning her and the much needed signing down when I realized that.

Although I stand up for my work and my fees I always get a little flustered and uncomfortable when a SS starts trying to make me feel like I am out of my mind for expecting $XXX for a refi signing that only has about 73 pages. I think I can get over that now by just knowing that when they contract with me and my very reasonable fees they are getting more than just the # of pages in a package.

Go ahead and shop me, find that $50 notary. I am sure that they are just as committed to professionalism and common courtesy as I am. I am sure that when you jack them around and make them wait with unanswered questions they will remember that it's not just the SS you would be getting back at by cancelling or just shutting off their phone altogether but also the signers that are sometimes a little nervous and or uncertain about what they are doing and what's happening. I am sure that it would "NOT" be easy for that $50 notary to just shut off the phone and go do something better that just came along.

So anyway what I was wondering about was what you’re first thought is when a SS calls you up and complains to you about the previous NSA that they had. Then I just started rambling on. Hope I didn't confuse anyone out there. I guess I just needed to write that one out.

Oh and btw I don’t feel that way about all SS. I know that there are some out there that have a very bad but very well deserved reputation. Believe me I talked to, read about and have done business with a lot of them. But there are also a lot of them that I have done business with that are a pleasure to work with.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/1/09 9:54pm
Msg #298381

<<<It made me realize that the SS with docs in hand may have treated the "cancelling notary" the way the SS I was waiting for docs on was treating me all pm and the "cancelling notary” just said "forget it, find someone else to sit around all day, I've got other things to do.">>>

Late docs are part of the business, if you feel "jacked around" you may want to find another line of work. For me, ready doc appts ALWAYS take first place over non-ready doc appts. It wouldn't matter if the first appt was made six months in advance. I am in business to make money and the first ready docs gets the business. All other appts are tentative and go to the end of the line. I don't particularly care about the SS dealings with other Notaries. If a scheduler calls me and docs are ready and sent NOW, RIGHT NOW (5 min. maximum wait), I'd print and be on my way to those borrowers.

Reply by desktopfull on 8/1/09 10:21pm
Msg #298383

I agree with you LKT

your in business to earn money, to many times I turned down a closing while waiting for docs on another one that never came and I lost both closings. I take the one that's ready and the other can wait, they have already missed the appointment anyway.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/2/09 9:42am
Msg #298394

I agree with LKT also. Late docs, especially at EOM,go with the territory. They're not lying when they're telling you that the lenders & tc's are backed up. If you can be flexible & work it into your schedule, fine, otherwise tell them to find someone who can. This is where the notaries who say "yes" to every call can run into trouble. A notary that is willing to work with them will go a lot farther in this business, but I don't over-schedule & promise what I can't deliver. My .02

Reply by nolanotary on 8/1/09 11:48pm
Msg #298386

If the docs aren't ready in time for the original appointment time, then all bets are off. They aren't paying me to sit around and wait...If another appointment comes up with everything ready to go, then I go with that one. I found that when the docs are that late, there is usually a problem anyway and either the borrower(s) will find something wrong or the TC cannot get the info they need and the appointment is postponed until another day.

Reply by brass/LA on 8/2/09 10:01am
Msg #298397

Late docs or postponed appointments are more often then not associated with doing work for signing services. The problem arises when people who have no idea of the progress of the document preparation, Hud aprpoval, etc. (signing service) schedule a closing date and time. They then want the notary to contact the borrower and confirm the appointment for the date and time they provide.

My normal practice with signing services is to advise them on the phone and in a follow up email that I will contact the borrower and advise of the appointment time but I will advise the borrower that I call them back when I have docs in hand and we will schedule the closing.

This way I can accept any signings that may come in from title companies or signing services who have docs in hand.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/2/09 5:34pm
Msg #298406

Good points!

I can't count how many times those very late docs ended up not being ready until the next day. As you said, how much are they paying us to keep that slot open? Nada. And if it never happens, we are the ones who have lost money. I don't have a hard and fast rule about this one, but would go with the majority most of the time. It depends on who is the client for the docs I'm waiting for and what has been the track record for them and their clients. It's a judgment call each time.

From the original post: "when they contract with me and my very reasonable fees they are getting more than just the # of pages in a package."

Excellent point! Especially these days. It seems the vast majority of the refi's I'm seeing are for people with strong financials who started the process just to take advantage of lower interest rates. They are frequently upset with the whole process because it's been going on for months, they've provided everything the lender asked for, their contact person keeps changing, etc. And it's amazing how many errors I'm seeing. Someone without a clue and poor people skills who shows up with these types of folks could be the last straw that pushes them to cancel the whole thing.

Reply by Jones - Chelley on 8/3/09 12:11pm
Msg #298493

Re: Good points!

I think the point made in your comments are about 99% correct. Let me add something to put my perspective on this situation. Just as you might be frustrated with the late docs...especially after a comment like the scheduler made...lol...rough to say the least. Let me add my thought. The scheduler is 9 times out of ten...not the person responsible for the closing package getting to you. So, in all honesty...what she should be saying is...man, I wish the lender could deliver the package...to our closing department...so our closer in the closing department can create a hud...rush for approval...so I can get the package to the agent the scheduler hired. What a mouthful! That is the truth...for those of us in the scheduling department, it usually isn't our closing department that lets us down...it is the untimely delivery of the dang package to the closing department. However...it doesn't stop there...I look at the lender's side...most of the lenders are running on a skeleton crew because of layoffs and they are in the same boat...with stacks of files that need sent to the closing company. It is a terrible circle that unfortunately...the closing agent and the scheduling department have to salvage. I never blame my agent!!! EVER! You are the backbone of the signing and unfortunately...the person the borrower blames for not being the miracle worker. You all have to have thick skin to take the beating you get and you are very unappreciated in my opinion. I never mind rescheduling a closing because of docs being delivered too late...I don't want my closers sitting around and ruining their day. I am very appreciative when my faithful notaries do go out of their way to stay with a closing for me. I have several notaries that I love and trust...we are like a family...all in this together. My suggestion to the notaries would be, just realize, the scheduling department is not the closing department...all we can do is hope that our other departments and our lender do their very best to make sure you have timely delivery. Really...once the file has been scheduled, most times, We in the scheduling department don't even know the file is delayed. This being said, I appreciate your prospective...and it will help me keep a mindful eye on closing times and delays. Keep up the good work guys!

Reply by RJE/MI on 8/3/09 5:42pm
Msg #298527

I know I know

I was just having a bad day and thought I would get some understanding from my fellow notaries that go through the same thing as I do. I am not in the wrong business because I love what I do. Everything that I posted happens to me all the time and I deal with it just fine. I actually thrive on the last minute appointments and the running around that is involved with being a NSA most of the time. Again, bad day, needed to vent with people that get it. This board has taught me a lot and has increased my income by 200% since I have become a member. I appreciate all the comments and apologize for having a rare bad day on Notary Rotary. Have a great August!

Reply by Jones - Chelley on 8/4/09 11:17am
Msg #298647

Re: I know I know

Still...I wish people would really start appreciating you all a little bit more. I can tell you...from experience because I have worked for another title company...it is never the scheduling department. Because we work so closely with you all...you become a valued part of our life...anyone that does this job...knows what I am talking about. I think as a whole...we all need to step back and go back to the day of "do unto others"...ya know. You are just fine for sharing your bad day...after all, if you can't vent to a friend...who do you have? It sounds like you are a great person...keep smiling and keep loving your job...cause you are the type of person that makes me love mine!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.