Notary Rotary
Laptop Size & eSign
Notary Discussion History

Laptop Size & eSign
Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Michelle/AL on 8/5/09 11:09pm
Msg #298874

Laptop Size & eSign

I think it was in June of this year that I posted about me shopping around for a new laptop. I mentioned that I was looking at the mini-sized laptops for two reasons: 1) price; and 2) use would be limited to eSigning. Most of you discouraged me from going small and I'm glad you did.

Tonight I had my first eSign since purchasing my Dell Inspiron. I think the screen is 15 inches. What I do know is that there was no way that the Borrower, the Spouse, and I could have successfully completed tonight's closing on a mini-notebook screen. My screen was large enough so that all three of us could view one document at the same time. We just took turns clicking (I think next time I'll pack a mouse to speed up the clicking.)

I'm glad I dodged that bullet. Thanks everyone.

PS: The spouse touched the screen with her fingertip. My eyes grew big because you know how those prints stick. But upon closer look it was just her fingernail touching the screen. I so wanted to say to her, "get your finger off my computer screen"; but I didn't.

Reply by cntrlcalntry on 8/5/09 11:20pm
Msg #298875

So size does matter! Sorry couldn't resist! n/m

Reply by Michelle/AL on 8/5/09 11:34pm
Msg #298876

We always knew it did. We just don't like to admit it. n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 8/6/09 12:36am
Msg #298879

"get your finger off my computer screen" - you exhibited more restraint than I possibly might not have. Go, Michelle!

Reply by Shoshana Roller on 8/6/09 1:09am
Msg #298880

Invest in a laser pointer. n/m

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 8/6/09 1:58am
Msg #298881

Screen protectors are available

anywhere that sells computers. I had some clear plastic left over from another project, so I just made my own. It's thin enough that the static electricity generated from the display causes it to adhere, and it also saves me from the urge to break fingers during the signing process. Fortunately, I don't do to many esignings out here in the boonies.

Reply by SpinClose/MI on 8/6/09 7:32am
Msg #298887

Re: Screen protectors are available

Take charge and do all the clicking yourself. Works very well and speeds up process.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 8/6/09 8:06am
Msg #298890

Spin, I can't click for the Borrowers, that's the

way they sign their names on the eDocs. However, I will check into a laser pointer and the extra screen protector. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Reply by PAW on 8/6/09 8:09am
Msg #298892

Anyone try using an S-Video output

Many of the new laptops have an S-Video output that will allow the laptop to be connected to a TV that has an S-Video input. I personally haven't tried it yet but will be soon. (Not for e-signings, but for other reasons. If it works okay for my purposes, then it would work for e-signings as well. I'll let ya'all know how it turns out.)

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/6/09 8:45am
Msg #298903

Re: Anyone try using an S-Video output

A few years ago when I had more time on my hands I did that (Hooked computer through a gadget and another gadget to the S-Video on the television). It worked like a dream but I would have never thought of using it for E-signings! Great call. Let us know if you think it can work.

(Of course the computer to gadget to gadget to television process has been replaced by more modern computers and televisions.)

Reply by Jim/AL on 8/6/09 9:13am
Msg #298905

Re: Anyone try using an S-Video output, excellent idea but,

if it is anything like using parallel ports for laptop/PC to flat screen than you may spend allot of time configuring for the BO TV (I think it is mostly resolution/DPI settings)...I know it took a while to get mine at home to be viewable on a 46" Sony. I would really like to hear if S-Video is a quicker connection set-up Paul, so yes please let us know.

As far as a mouse goes Michelle, you should look for a USB mini mouse with retractable cord. I have a small one that you just plug up pull out and use and then you pull a bit and the cord retracts back and disappears for the most part. It is nice because then you do not have to worry about the cord getting tangled up in your bag/briefcase. and it is nice and compact also.

Reply by PAW on 8/6/09 9:22am
Msg #298911

Re: Anyone try using an S-Video output, excellent idea but,

I use S-Video input to a TV all the time. It's as simple as connecting the input device (in my case, a camera) to the TV input via the S-Video cable, then setting the input source on the TV (usually denoted by the TV/Video button on the TV and remote) to S-Video. Can't be much simpler than that. If you Google "PC TV S-Video" you can read about the image from many different sources. Some great, some good, some not-so-good. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Reply by HKB on 8/6/09 10:05am
Msg #298923

Re: Anyone try using an S-Video output

I dont know about my lap top but my phone sure does that and I can see people I'm talking to live size and its really really fun. We saw our daughter open her birthday gift and could see her expression .... thanks for technology.

Reply by PAW on 8/6/09 8:06am
Msg #298891

Don't point a laser at an LCD display

The laser may actually damage the screen causing the pixel to disappear.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 8/6/09 8:44am
Msg #298902

Thanks Paw. Get us posted. n/m

Reply by John_NorCal on 8/6/09 9:53am
Msg #298919

As for a mouse, I found a great Microsoft wireless mouse. It works effortlessly the transmitter plugs into one of your usb ports and when you finish it then tucks into the bottom of the mouse out of the way. Here are some of the newer ones that Microsoft has now.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductList.aspx?Type=Mouse

Reply by garland/CA on 8/6/09 1:05pm
Msg #298955

Did you subscribe to an air card with your cell phone company for internet access?

Reply by Michelle/AL on 8/7/09 9:51pm
Msg #299218

Yes, Garland. I did. Sorry for the delay in

responding. I took the day off today and didn't check the boards again. I "bit the bullet" at the first part of the year and changed my plan to include an air card. It's been very reliable. Has not let me down yet. My internet service at home this month has been acting up and my aircard has kept me going.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.