Little help in cofirming Ca. compliant Jurat
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by Dan/Calif on 8/21/09 11:51pm
Msg #301312

Hi everyone,
I was looking for a quick bit of knowledge from some of the experienced folks out there. I have a Sig/Name Affidavit and the wording for the Jurat goes like this.
" State/ Commonwealth of:
County/Parish:
Subscribed and Sworn(affirmed) before me this day of "
The reason I am asking is that i have not received wording with "parish and commonwealth" before. I am aware that these terms are used in other states, just want to be sure it is good to use here. I beleive as long as I have the "subscibed and sworn" statement I am good to go. Any words of wisdom? I appreciate your input.
Thanks,
Dan

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/21/09 11:57pm
Msg #301313

I would just draw a line through "Commonwealth of" and a line through "Parish". Is the rest of the notarial wording complete to include the "proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence................"?? If so, you're good to go.

Reply by Dan Dritz on 8/22/09 12:03am
Msg #301314

Actually it does not state on the basis of satisfactory evidence. I should probably use a loose sheet. Do you agree?

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/22/09 12:13am
Msg #301315

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/forms/notary_jurat.pdf

The above is directly from the CA SOS website. If the notarial wording (the "meat" of the jurat) doesn't match exactly, then yes, use a loose sheet certificate. Draw a diagonal line through the incorrect jurat and write in a space near it "See attached CA compliant Jurat".

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 8/22/09 12:20am
Msg #301318

Absolutely, Dan

EVERY jurat taken in the state of CA must read:

Subscribed and sworn to (or affirmed) before me on this day of ... by .. proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence to be the person(s) who appeared before me.

Incidentally, NR sells a nifty jurat stamp here. I use it all the time (so I don't have to attach a LL) because at least half- actually more - of all loan docs I see have just the "Subscribed and Sworn" wording. On the rare occasion that there is no space for the stamp, I go the SOS Web site to fill out and print a LL jurat.

As for your original question, I actually don't line anything out, thinking that it's obvious CA is a state, not a Commonwealth and does not have parishes... but I think Lisa's direction is good, too - just line through.

Reply by Dan/Calif on 8/22/09 12:37am
Msg #301320

Re: Absolutely, Dan

Thank you both for your input. I did use the loose sheet and lined the other out with the wording. Nice to know I find great info and assitance here.
Dan

Reply by davidK/CA on 8/22/09 1:01am
Msg #301321

Just remember that the wording of ANY Jurat executed in CA must be compliant with CA Law, regards of where it is to be used or where the property is located. No exceptions, no matter what the lender or title company says is required.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/22/09 2:15am
Msg #301323

I agree with all the others. Just wanted to add that if you have Word (or any other word processing software) you can create your own and just print them out as you need them. I have both ack and jurat certs with whatever appropriate information can be included in advance. Saves a little bit of time and I can always have blanks with me for when there's no room for my jurat stamp.

Reply by Jim/AL on 8/22/09 9:46am
Msg #301343

Dan, if you line through "Commonwealth of" and "Parish"

you should always initial with your (not signers) initials, since you are correcting your ack.

IMO

Reply by Dan/Calif on 8/22/09 5:49pm
Msg #301374

Re: Dan, if you line through "Commonwealth of" and "Parish"

Thank you all for the input. What a great resource. Have a great weekend. By the way I did use a loose certificate. The wording was not all there so after reading responses decided that it was best to go with the loose certificate.
Thanks again,
Dan

Reply by PAW on 8/22/09 7:42pm
Msg #301380

As the saying goes... When in doubt, cross it out. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.