Notary Rotary
Living in a tourist area kills me
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by ME/NJ on 8/19/09 2:14pm
Msg #300865

Friday and Saturday I lose money, it's my choice and it stinks. A few calls came in today for appointments that are about 30 minutes away during normal drive times. I would take them with no problem anytime of the year but summer weekends.

Last week this was the traffic on the Garden State Parkway in my area. Friday night 23 mile back up, Saturday 30+ mile backup and Sunday night 26 mile back up. I had friends who headed down Saturday its a 2 hour drive for them, it took 7 hours.. NOOOO WAY.

You live here why would you schedule a closing 5-6pm on a Friday or Saturday 10am.. I'm someone will work cheap and sit in traffic.

Reply by Shoshana Roller on 8/19/09 3:07pm
Msg #300879

This is a career where we are supposed to give customer service. We exist to serve the borrowers.

So, you have some choices here. You can take the job or not take the job! Or you can move!

Phoenix metro area where I live is a high traffic area on Friday nights. Therefore, I only take very local jobs.

Then I am happy and relaxed for the rest of the weekend!

Reply by JanetLA on 8/19/09 3:19pm
Msg #300881

We have terrible traffic in Baton Rouge since Katrina when

our population grew too fast for existing roadways. It still takes an hour (at least) during morning and evening rush hours to get to a location that Mapquest or one of the same show to be a route taking 10 minutes. You learn to live with it or stay home during those times. I typically do my best to allow tons of extra time, but I don't make as much money during the busy periods due to travel time.

Reply by ME/NJ on 8/19/09 3:30pm
Msg #300882

Time is money..

Wait for doc's (if they are on time) 2 hour drive each way, 30-40 minutes to sign (if no issues) and drop package. 5-6 hours work for 125.. NOPE not making money on the deal.

Yes I will do in town or next one over, thats it during the weekend summer period. keep it to the 2-3 hour mark and its worth my time for the money.

Did one last Friday (in town for 5pm) got docs 6:15pm had to push it till 830 because I had a 7pm in town. I would not be a happy camper if took 2 hours of sitting in a parking lot and late docs.

Reply by C. Wayne Moore on 8/19/09 3:48pm
Msg #300888

No traffic problems in Metro Orlando! Mickey is good to us! n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 8/19/09 3:54pm
Msg #300894

Re: No traffic problems in Metro Orlando! Mickey is good to us!

What???? Where do you drive Wayne? You have tie ups all the time in the Alta. Spgs area, I-4 is a disaster and E-W is at times as well. Out E, a nightmare certain times of the day, depending on direction. 4 miles can take me 30 mins. Rain - well, as much as we get, no one appears to be able to navigate successfully. Just wait till school starts and all the buses on are on the roads all day because they all have 3 shifts in am and again in pm.

Or are you talking tongue in cheek?

Reply by C. Wayne Moore on 8/19/09 4:02pm
Msg #300901

Tongue in Cheek Julie :-)! n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 8/19/09 4:15pm
Msg #300908

O K , O K , feel better now! n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 8/19/09 3:53pm
Msg #300892

Here in Va. Beach we have the traffic double during tourist season. We have a great roadway system, and I have plenty of alternate routes. The traffic around holidays like 4th of July is absolutely insane, and I'm talking about all the locals & their friends & family that come in one weekends & holidays.
I still think I'm well off compared to the freeways in Los Angeles. I don't think I could deal with that, or metro DC/Maryland, either. It goes with our being such a mobile society, but it also what makes our profession possible.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 8/19/09 3:55pm
Msg #300895

I'll take my 2 lane country roads anyday.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 8/19/09 4:00pm
Msg #300899

I live in a tourist area and tourists are our lifeblood

It may be a pain to have to navigate the tourist paths but I get a lot of tourists asking for my services and I am in a service business: just part of the deal!

Reply by MW/VA on 8/19/09 4:10pm
Msg #300906

I'm also confused. I thought you had posted that you have a phenominal business going in that area.

Reply by ME/NJ on 8/19/09 5:26pm
Msg #300935

I do, just hate to give up money due to cost factor

6 hour job not worth 125.. would you do it? after cost of doing business I figure my rate between 38-44/hour anything below that I don't go out the door.

Heck I would burn up 20 dollars in gas just sitting in a 20+ backup.

Reply by Art_MD on 8/20/09 5:59am
Msg #301035

MD- Chesapeake bay bridge

Any Friday nite in the summer you can have anywhere from a 3 mile to 21 mile backup to cross the bridge. The long backups affect intersecting roads, so you may be 10 miles from the bridge, not going on the road to the bridge, and still face backups.
Won't take any signings on a Friday where I have to take any of the feeder roads.
The alternative to the bridge to get to the eastern shore of MD is 80 mile longer.

Art

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/20/09 2:25pm
Msg #301085

Here's a thought...not sure it would work

Make arrangements to meet the borrowers midway...let them absorb a portion of the travel and aggravation...you can still take assignments but possibly cut out a lot of the tourist traffic....and you still get to service your client base.

Not familiar with your area that much but it may be worth considering rather than just not taking work at all...if you really want the work.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.