Notary Rotary
Make your computer live up to it's potential
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by James Bergstrom on 8/27/09 4:25pm
Msg #302003

My lap top was running so slow that opening a simple web page took a minute or two. I regularly defrag and started to think I needed to buy a new laptop. That's not an option right now so I found a web site that will scan the memory already installed on your computer and will give you an upgrade option that is suitable. http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx . I took the test and printed out the info and drove to Fry's Electronics bought the memory ( only $12.00 ). I got home flipped over the laptop and installed the memory. This was my first time messing with a laptop. I also had the option of purchasing the memory online. When I open a web page now I click it and "bam" like Emiril LOL. I can not believe what $12.00 did for me!

Reply by jba/fl on 8/27/09 4:44pm
Msg #302007

Congrats! Great isn't it?!! I just upgraded my

memory and everyone in family is so impressed, noticing immediately. Memory is so cheap one cannot afford to do without it.

"BAM" is right - LOL.

Reply by Calnotary on 8/27/09 4:49pm
Msg #302009

Re: Congrats! Great isn't it?!! I just upgraded my

You are so right!! I did it to my old laptop, I installed 1G memory and it runs faster. My current laptop with 4G memory some times it freezes!! figure that out, by the way are you Joan's son?

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 8/27/09 5:22pm
Msg #302011

Calnotary

Have you scanned for spyware? Sounds like a symptom.

Also, try going to this microsoft site and use this tool to clean up your computer ... 4 gig should be plenty. Is it all the same brand of memory? Sometimes using two different brands of chips, even though they claim to have the same specifications, can cause lockups.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm?s_cid=sah

Reply by Calnotary on 8/27/09 5:27pm
Msg #302012

Re: Calnotary

Hey Glenn, this is a brand new laptop. For some reason it does freeze! I have a 2.0 ghz centrino dual core processor with vista 64bit and 4g of memory. I hate it because I have all my home full of dell products; Dell 50 inch plasma, dell DLP projector, 2 dell desktop and 2 laptops, etc etc.

Reply by Calnotary on 8/27/09 5:30pm
Msg #302013

Re: Calnotary

BTW on this new laptop with 9cell battery and LED screen I can run it for almost 8hours!! before it needs to charge again.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 8/27/09 5:54pm
Msg #302016

Man, that thing should fly ...

What I do when I buy a new computer, I remove all the crap that the factory puts on there that I don't want using Programs and Features. Then I run spybot (you will be surprised on what's on a new computer) then use the Microsoft link I gave you in the first post. It takes a long time, but you will be surprised on the difference it makes. I hate all that crap that is put on new computers, but on the positive side, the money those software makers pay the computer manufactures helps keep the prices down. Right now, I can't build a computer for what they are selling them for right now. Of course, I never could build a laptop.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 8/27/09 5:59pm
Msg #302017

Re: Man, that thing should fly ...

I was also surprised on how much faster any computer will run with Linux because it is crap-free. When I boot into Linux (Ubuntu brand) I strap myself in first. I have been playing with Linux for a couple of years now and download and print most documents with it now. Much faster. Still need to use windows when it comes to some of the other programs such as Swiftview ....

Unfortunately, there are too many cool things that need Windows for me to abandon it.

Reply by John Schenk on 8/27/09 6:43pm
Msg #302020

Glen, Eset Nod 32 vs. Kaspersky 2010

Which do you think is a better? TIA

JJ

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 8/27/09 7:58pm
Msg #302032

Re: Glen, Eset Nod 32 vs. Kaspersky 2010

Honestly don't know. I use the free stuff. The last one I paid for was McAfee. And I canned that whey it was conflicting with program I used. The only one I ever heard of was Nod 32 and I hear that people who use it like it a lot because it does not slow you computer down like some of the other ones can.

For anti-virus I use Avira , the free version.

http://www.avira.com/fr/download/index.html

Someone on this board mentioned it a few years ago, I tried it, liked it and never looked back.

For anti-spyware I use Spybot, also free.

And then a couple of time a year I use the Windows utility.

Reply by John Schenk on 8/27/09 10:22pm
Msg #302053

Thank you for the reply!

I put Spybot on all 16 computers here, but the problem with that is that nobody knows what changes to authorize, or deny.

Nod32 takes minimum resources, and that's what I run on mine. It is TRULY excellent, as far as resources. You don't even know it's running.

JJ

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 8/27/09 10:52pm
Msg #302055

Disable "Tea Timer"

If you run Vista, you already have to authorize changes. It's the scan function and the immunization feature that I use in Spybot.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/27/09 11:49pm
Msg #302058

Re: Thank you for the reply!

I'm on my 2nd year with NOD 32 and have no complaints. I get automatic updates, sometimes more than one a day, and it's caught a couple of viruses since I installed it. On my old computer, I had installed the Norton Internet Security package, supposedly one step up from their anti-virus program. It created all kinds of headaches for me, so I switched to Avast, which I downloaded`for free from the Internet. When I bought the laptop I'm currently using, I decided to go with NOD 32 for some reason, but I have no regrets. I read many good things about it.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/28/09 10:08am
Msg #302086

Re: Thank you for the reply!

I dumped Norton & went to Eset a couple of years ago. It is fantastic.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 8/27/09 9:04pm
Msg #302044

Re: Congrats! Great isn't it?!! I just upgraded my

Yes, he is my son and he can come over here and "Bam" a memory upgrade for me!

I am not touching the inside of my computer!!

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/28/09 4:29am
Msg #302062

I love a techy son! Welcome, James. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.