Notary Rotary
Opinion
Notary Discussion History

Opinion
Go Back to August, 2009 Index

Posted by HKT_TX on 8/26/09 5:17pm
Msg #301799

Opinion

Is it unreasonable for me to ask that I receive the documents by 1:00 pm for a 6:00 pm closing? I work from 8 - 5 and have to print the docs during my lunch hour, and the borrower is usually an hour away, so I have to leave immediately after work. Lately I haven't even been getting the docs until 5:00 or later!

Reply by John Schenk on 8/26/09 5:19pm
Msg #301801

It's not unreasonable to ask, it's just unreasonable to expect that they're actually going to do it. LOL

Reply by B on 8/26/09 5:32pm
Msg #301803

It would be nice. Unfortunately I deal with this all the time. I am on hold right now actually with a company looking for documents. I am supposed to travel an hour and the docs haven't arrived yet. Need to leave in 15 minutes. Borrower in this case cannot have signing any later. It would be nice if all docs arrived early, but in actuality they don't. Errors are made need to be corrected, etc. Most companies are good about it, but others seem to be habitual with sending documents late. As if you were only waiting for them! It does put you in a potential bind with the borrower or other clients when you have to call and reschedule.

Reply by B on 8/26/09 5:56pm
Msg #301809

I agree that we are here for their convenience. It does not hurt to try asking for docs early. Just do not expect them when you need them. It just does not work that way...my docs finally arrived. Traveling now. Good luck!

Reply by HKT_TX on 8/26/09 8:52pm
Msg #301859

This is why I asked... I guess if I want to do this, I have to roll with the flow!

Reply by MW/VA on 8/26/09 5:44pm
Msg #301805

OMG, are you serious? You're telling us you do this part-time, after work, and expect that they will accomodate YOU instead of the other way around. I'd like to try that approach--ask them if they will send docs on my lunch hour, by 1 pm for the closings that evening. In this business late docs are pretty much s.o.p., and I frequently get them an hour before the closing. I'm also guessing you're printing on your employer's equipment, their paper & ink, etc. Sorry--this is pretty unbelievable to me.

Reply by HKT_TX on 8/26/09 8:41pm
Msg #301852

Actually, no, that is why I have to do it on my lunch hour, because I have to do it on my own time and with my own equipment and supplies. That is why I asked if I was being unreasonable. I have seen some people on here that I thought said they always got the docs the day before, but I guess that is not the norm. I think what I will have to do from now on is schedule the appointment 30 minutes later, and not plan on printing docs until 5:00. Although I did have one last week that the docs were not ready until 7:00, and the appointment was an hour away scheduled for 6:00. Now that, IMO, is unreasonable!

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 8/26/09 6:08pm
Msg #301810

If I demanded that, then nearly all my

edoc business would disappear. What I do, however, is not schedule the closing until I get the docs. That way it doesn't throw my day off the rails.

As far as it interfering with your day job, I can only say what I use to tell my employees before I retired when they wanted me to work around another job....

I would say. "Sounds like you have a choice to make."

Reply by wisconsin on 8/26/09 7:05pm
Msg #301815

WOW, wish I could use someone elses printer and paper! LOL

And be on time for every job!

Reply by HKT_TX on 8/26/09 8:41pm
Msg #301853

Re: WOW, wish I could use someone elses printer and paper! LOL

Dont do that!

Reply by KimWmsVA on 8/26/09 7:11pm
Msg #301817

I, too, work a 9-5 job (actually 7-4, but......) and my notary service is a part time gig. Unfortunately, like everyone says, you can dictate your requirements; however, it may not happen. I have learned that if I have a closing after work, that I will need to be able to schedule it after I get home to print and prepare. And even then, I have gotten docs after the appointment time. It is just the nature of the beast. I have had to turn down jobs because they were for 5 or 5:30 and I wouldn't have time to go home and print and prepare the docs before the appointment. I always give the option that if they cannot find another notary and are able to schedule the closing a little later, to call me. And they have in the past, and sometimes they don't.
Good Luck!

Reply by HKT_TX on 8/26/09 8:45pm
Msg #301856

Yes, Kim, I think that is what I will have to do, as I am getting more and more business lately. Usually they have to make the appointment later, anway, because of my availability and I am the only one available in one particular town, which is an hour away. What really upsets me is not keeping the scheduled appt time with the borrower.

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 8/26/09 7:42pm
Msg #301836

Re: Sure hope you're replenishing your EMPLOYER'S toner,

paper and the wear and tear on your EMPLOYER'S printer.

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/26/09 8:02pm
Msg #301846

If she's got an hour for lunch and lives as close as I do to

my job she might be going home to print. That was my impression.

It's easy for me to do that. I am 2.5 miles and ten minutes from mi casa. It leaves me 40 minutes to print a package.

Reply by HKT_TX on 8/26/09 8:47pm
Msg #301857

Re: If she's got an hour for lunch and lives as close as I do to

Thank you, Brenda! Yes, I do live 1 mile from my work (small town) and NEVER use my Bosses equipment or supplies, unless I have to buy a ream of paper here and there, which I most definitely reimburse for! (and they don't even know that I take it or pay for it, because I deposit the check!)

Reply by MW/VA on 8/26/09 8:53pm
Msg #301860

Re: If she's got an hour for lunch and lives as close as I do to

Thanks for making that clear. We know there are a lot out there that are doing it on their employers time, computers, equipment, paper, etc. Of course that irks those of us that are in this business full time & pay for everything. I can see where the people you're dealing with might offer the flexibility for scheduling, because there aren't a lot of other notaries around.
I'm in a completely different situation. I can get a call requesting a signing for 5:30. I will tell them I have a 5:00 and I can do it at 6:30 if they have the flexibility. They get another notary. There are plenty to choose from.

Reply by wisconsin on 8/26/09 9:12pm
Msg #301863

HKT-I was only messing with you. I was not trying to be mean n/m

Reply by HKT_TX on 8/27/09 11:57am
Msg #301951

Sa'll good, as my boys say! n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/27/09 6:06am
Msg #301898

HKT - It's been my experience (past)

that my boss was glad to support a second job in small ways in order to allow me to earn more while he did not have to contribute significantly to my earning power except for a little paper or the use of a printer.

Never in my signing agent business, but in a past business I had. Signing agents who use their employer's printers and do not have to compensate themselves for that have been seen as "lowball" notaries who do not have to charge as much as the full-timers who pay for all their equipment and paper.

It depends on the type of work you do and the structure of the business as to whether or not a business owner wants to allow help from the company to the employee in the way of paper or equipment usage. In my previous life it was a lawyer in solo practice so it was a fair decision for him to make...didn't affect anyone but him.

In this economy bonuses and raises from employers may be a moot discussion. Whether or not an employer's business is actually affected the so-called news is painting a grim picture that concerns all employers.

Bargaining for a few extra hours or days off in order to work on another business might be a good topic, however, to discuss with an employer. In general my work relationships have been with people who really did want to reward their staff. I can see that asking for additional days off in lieu of a raise this year might work for several types of employees and businesses....but submit the idea for it before the raise/bonus discussion comes up! You might be amazed at how quickly a "no raise/bonus" situation turns into three extra days of vacation.

Reply by HKT_TX on 8/27/09 8:57am
Msg #301915

Re: HKT - It's been my experience (past)

Yes, Brenda, I have very good bosses (accountants) that would not mind an occasional use of their printer equipment or paper. But I have better equipment at home, it is a real pain to do it at work! I actually have a closing this evening at our office, at the borrowers request, after hours, of course. They do not have a problem with that. But still, I even feel guilty taking calls regarding my notary work during their hours.

On another note, my co-workers and I were actually talking about approaching our bosses about time off in lieu of overtime during tax season. Since we are mainly a tax practice, we have a lot of down time in the off season, so that may be an option they would consider, to 'cut expenses' as they brought up in our annual review this year!

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it! I will start working on my profile!

Reply by Pierces Notary Services on 8/27/09 7:28am
Msg #301902

I work FT during the day too. I ask them to try to have docs to me by noon and some do and some don't. I tell them I can do the closing at this time if I have docs by noon...if not it would be this time and they are usually ok with it. I don't print docs at work. I live close enough to work where I go home for lunch and print them.

Reply by SharonMN on 8/27/09 9:07am
Msg #301916

I would tell them up front you can only do the appt. if docs will be ready by X time and let them accept that deal or not.

BUT, I would phrase it something like "With my appointment schedule for today, the only windows I have for printing edocs are at 1 and 5." They don't need to know you have a day job. For all they know, you might have several back-to-back appointments you already have docs in hand for.

I'm always amazed at the "businesspeople" who will give potential clients a load of personal information/excuses like "well, I have to pick up the cat from the vet at 4, and then if my husband is home in time to meet with the plumber, I can do it at 5, but otherwise I can't do it until 6..." All other commitments are "appointments" when I'm talking to a potential client.

Reply by Christine Pardo on 8/27/09 6:56pm
Msg #302024

If I get docs before actual signing appointment time - I am doing good.
Actually, when I call and confirm I explain to the borower- the appointment is tenative. I will call and confirm as soon as I recieve docs and let them what time I can get there.
If they have a problem with that it is addressed before printing and driving.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.